The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife took my exige over to her friend's house while I was out of town one night and managed to crash it in the one corner between our house and her friends. She was apparently used to the slow steering hummer h3 she drives on a daily basis and ran off the inside of a turn, overcorrected, and ran off the outside of the turn, hit an embankment and flew through the air and barrel rolled through someones front yard. The car held up well considering it flew 82' before hitting the ground, rolling a couple of times, and landing upside down. If it wasnt for the race harness my wife would probably be dead since the roof came off and it landed upside down. She then left the scene because she freaked out and was afraid I was going to kill her when I got back in town from my trackday at cmp. I arrived home the next night and was immediately greeted by two police officers as they blocked my driveway. The first question they asked me was how was my wife? They didint assume that I was involved in the crash since I was walking and the high heels and pocketbook left in the car kind of clued them in also. Anyway, they were expecting to find a body when they drove up on the scene and were surprised that they did not. They said they dont even know how she got out because there was no room to crawl out. Anyway, if your wife has any desire to drive your lotus, I suggest that you teach her the correct way to drive it before this happens to you. I'm just lucky that I only lost a car and not my wife, they build new cars every day. The photo at the bottom was taken at my daughters dance recital one week after the wreck, the bandaids are covering most of the physical damage she suffered.

Andy

Andy Parker

Attachments

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Damn! :crazyeyes

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
The wife is okay?

Man you can milk this one to its full potential.

One turn? Residential? Hmmmmmmm.....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...your wife experienced quite the learning adventure!..

...glad she made out okay, sorry about your exige, sounds like you'll have a riotously fun mister-toad story to tell for decades to come...

edit:
...once your exige is replaced, take her (neigh, drag her!) along for a track day or two the get some comfortable experience probing the car's limits, learn how to better control it, and overcome any phobia she might otherwise develop over the incident - it'd probably be good for you both...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car could have made the turn, trust me it was driver error. It wasnt inside a neighborhood, but she did land in someones front yard. Probably 45mph speed limit, and could potentially be an 80mph turn. She claims she was going 65ish.

Andy

·
Registered
648 Posts
many freebee points are coming your way now atleast.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
....all your friends will be wondering why you call your wife "Dietrich" for the next 12 months :p

glad to hear family is safe and well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definately have free reign to purchase whatever car I choose once the time comes. I thought about getting another porsche 997 because it has a back seat for my little girl. I may get another lotus though, I really loved that car.
I should probably buy something with a full roll cage just in case my wife wants to take it out for a drive.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
^^ evora!

·
Premium Member
11,993 Posts
Look, she made a big mistake....which is common to many of us.

You have a lovely family (great photo) and should be thankful for that.

Here's worse, to make you feel better:

1. Wife takes my 4wd toyota in the snow. I tell her to not relax and let the excellent fwd motion fool her into thinking the car can somehow stop and turn magically better in snow.

About 2 minutes later, crashes sideways into a curb.

2. Saw on TV: Woman in SUV manages to drive off a bridge and get tangled in bridge cable....sorta tenuously. This is a dangerous situation!

She has a cell phone. Great. Does she call 911? No, she calls her husband!
She apparently forgot they don't own a helicopter.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Wow. Glad everyone is ok.
Take her autocrossing.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Wow, she's a cutie, you have to forgive her on looks alone. Although, these are grounds for you being allowed to get a Rossion or Evora next time!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Glad to hear she is OK and you are right - the car seems to hold up very well. You should post the VIN in this thread so google picks it up if anyone searches! Definitely take her to an autocross. You're lucky as many women hate riding in Lotus cars, yet alone driving one...

Normally when I hear of someone leaving the scene of a 1 car accident, alcohol is involved... but I guess when you roll someone else's lotus, there is a lot going through your mind

·
Registered
382 Posts
Holy crap that's a pretty serious crash! The passenger cell looks totally fine which is good 2 hear. Glad no one was hurt!

·
Registered
378 Posts
First, glad she is ok.

Second, That is why my wife does not drive the Lotus.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
:eek:

Very glad she wasn't hurt...

Get another Lotus... tell her she can't drive it on the street until she can beat you at auto-x :p

·
Registered
488 Posts
That's an incredible story.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Wow. Glad everyone is ok.
Take her autocrossing.
+1 definetely like the wife could benefit from some autocross. My wife has been autocrossing for +2 years. It has transformed her from sketchy to a pretty solid driver.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts