The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I was out for a drive today. Pulled into the driveway and the CEL came on. No issues on the drive (sputtering, Limp Mode, smells, noises, etc...). It was just a lazy drive too - no redlines (heck, not even over 5500rpm), no quick turns, potholes, etc.

Quick search shows a lot of guys having problems with the cams. I pulled the valve cover and took a look myself. I don't FEEL anything wrong (scoring, shavings, debris)...but I don't think they look great either.

On a side note, last year I had a rattle coming from the exhaust - with symptoms of loss of power and petrol smell in the car. I found the O2 sensor loose - tightened - and the problem went away. I should mention I never had a CEL during this.

So what do you guys think? Won't be able to check the code until next week (at the earliest). Sorry for the junk pictures too, snapped them on my blackberry.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
take your gas cap off & put it back on again.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
take your gas cap off & put it back on again.
really? I'll try it, but I've got a good 70 or 80 miles on this tank already. I would think that would have thrown a code by now?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Little update...tightened the gas cap, disconnected the battery (to 'clear' engine codes). CEL is still there. Engine runs and sounds fine... I can't think of anything else short of some electrical issue somewhere?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Most vehicles from 1996 and newer (OBD II) have a stay alive memory built into the computer system that will allow the computer to hold the memory and the code for several minutes and in some cases several hours. If you didn't completely drain the capacitor holding the "stay alive memory" then the code would not have cleared. If you really want to clear the code by disconnecting the battery, although I personally don't like that method, you can disconnect the battery and then hold down the horn button to get rid of any stored charge in the system. I'd recommend you get a code reader instead.

You're not really going to get much info here unless you actually post the code that's been thrown, otherwise everyone is just taking wild stabs in the dark. John pointed out one of the more common causes of a code. It will not be thrown the first time you drive after filling up. The computer looks for a consistent problem before lighting the MIL lamp... so it takes a few runs before (typically 3 for many codes) it will show. If it is your gas cap, after tightening it the code will clear itself after a few runs but not immediately... again the car is looking for consistency in the "fix".

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Service appointment for the code to be pulled Friday @ Lotus of Pittsburgh...doesn't Advanced do it for free? Any problems reading those codes? Last time I tried to read an code off an Advanced reader it gave me a steering sensor fault (position feedback) when my ABS sensor was to blame...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Why do you say you can't check the code until next week? Go to Autozone and have them read the code. That sounds much fast and infinitely more efficient than removing the valve cover and guessing what the problem could be.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why do you say you can't check the code until next week? Go to Autozone and have them read the code. That sounds much fast and infinitely more efficient than removing the valve cover and guessing what the problem could be.
The first available appointment at my local dealer wasn't until Friday. I thought about going to Autozone/Advanced - But the last time I tried to read a code there I couldn't make heads or tails of what the error was. I'd gladly post here what the error is (when I get it read), but I still think I'd be in the same boat...might as well just have the dealer tell me what exactly is wrong, then fix it.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Autozone should be able to give you the four digit number. You can then look it up and or post it on here. 99% chance that it's a code somebody else on the forum has encountered.

I don't mean any disrespect, but I can't reconcile that you'd be comfortable removing the valve cover to inspect the cams but not be able to interpret codes.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many reasons/codes that set off the check engine light. Go buy a code reader! Or let the auto part store retrieve the code, write it down, and then post it here and/or research the code. Seriously. The OBDll on these cars are no different than every other current car. We can not guess why it is on without even a code.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Autozone should be able to give you the four digit number. You can then look it up and or post it on here. 99% chance that it's a code somebody else on the forum has encountered.

I don't mean any disrespect, but I can't reconcile that you'd be comfortable removing the valve cover to inspect the cams but not be able to interpret codes.
None taken...I'll post the code here as soon as I can get the car out of the garage (rain and snow?!?! forcast for the next couple days).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so the code reader at advanced would not pull any codes from my car. I tried several times and also let the guys at the store give it a wing...nada. What code readers are you guys using? Advanced had an 'actron' to read the codes.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have an Actron and it reads codes fine. Did you select TOYOTA?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have an Actron and it reads codes fine. Did you select TOYOTA?
Yep. I tried Toyota, global OBD II, European OBD II, Japanese OBD II - I even tried the toyota matrix/celica inputs. :shrug:

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Ok, so the code reader at advanced would not pull any codes from my car. I tried several times and also let the guys at the store give it a wing...nada. What code readers are you guys using? Advanced had an 'actron' to read the codes.
The newer Actron scanners will not communicate with the Elise/Exige. I'll have to find the model number that didn't work and those that do. I posted it awhile back here on the forum. See if they have one of the older Actron models... they will read the code.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The newer Actron scanners will not communicate with the Elise/Exige. I'll have to find the model number that didn't work and those that do. I posted it awhile back here on the forum. See if they have one of the older Actron models... they will read the code.
Of the three shown here, the one I was using looked like the scanner on the right.
Actron®

I thought it was pretty old...When I was searching for the type of car I could only choose up to model year 2008. As for the choice of Toyota, it was really a stab in the dark. I tried European models (Lotus wasn't listed). I tried the Global OBD II code read for european models (nothing). I tried Toyota (nothing). Global Japanese OBD II (again, zip).

Could it be a fuse for my OBD port? I did get the scanner to 'connect', ie recognize it was connected to the car. BUT, I couldn't get the code out.

I also bought a gas cap when I was in the store (just to make sure it wasn't the cap). I'll let you guys know if this code clears before my service appointment at Lotus on Friday.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The CP9580 is what I was using, RoadDad

checked fuses under the dash - 20a, 7.5, 5 and 5 look good.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Why would you select Toyota to read a Lotus ECU? The engine and transaxle are 'Yota but the ECU's got nothing to do with 'em.
What do you pick? I pick Japanese OBD II or Toyota. I assumed they'd use the same codes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts