The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've re-installed the front clam on my '07 Elise (after many months...), and I can't for the life of me remember where this trapezoidal 1" thick foam block came from. I'm almost certain it's from the front clam (I have the rear off also), perhaps up in the spine for some reason? Anyone recognize it and can opine on what function it serves? Much appreciate any input!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Looks like it would fit in under the raised portion of the center of the front clam. There are cables and such there that this foam keeps from rattling around. Check by laying on top of the clam and see if dimensions fit.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,191 Posts
There is also foam in some of the cross members of the chassis, behind the front suspension, but those pieces are square blocks. Presumably there to keep brake dust and debris from entering into the HVAC?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like it would fit in under the raised portion of the center of the front clam. There are cables and such there that this foam keeps from rattling around. Check by laying on top of the clam and see if dimensions fit.
Yes, it looks like it would fit there - but unfortunately I've already put the clam back on, so sort of inconvenient to get under the spine at this point and see where it may have been glued-in :)

I can feel a bead of glue on the insides of the spine, about 8" back from the windshield, so I suspect that's where it was placed. Perhaps to keep the rad heat from travelling up the spine toward the wiper or something? Can't imagine it's purpose, but I think I'll pull the grills back out and see if I can glue it back in there somehow...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, that's it. I'll pull the grills back out and endeavor to glue it back up in there, for whatever purpose it serves. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
This blocks the air flow through the spine and keeps a lot of radiator heat out of the HVAC bay, thus improving your cabin cooling.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This blocks the air flow through the spine and keeps a lot of radiator heat out of the HVAC bay, thus improving your cabin cooling.
Interesting observation! I had not thought much about how the rad exit and the HVAC input may interact, but it makes sense. I glued it back in where it was previously - I could feel the bead of glue still stuck to the inside of the spine. Hard to see that it really does much to segregate the air flow, but back in it is... Thanks all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts