The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting this out to all the DIY gurus here :)

This part appears to have fallen off my V8 Esprit --- I found it laying on the garage floor underneath the engine on the driver's side about midway from front to rear of the engine bay. It is black rubber and appears to be some sort of a plug / stopper ??? It is about the diameter of a pencil and approximately 3/8" tall.

I can't find any place (hole) that looks like it is missing such a small plug or anywhere else where another of the same plug is installed for reference.

Any ideas ?? Anyone know what this is or where it belongs on the car ??

Thanks and sorry for the lousy pics :)

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
I don't think came from the car -- i have not seen anything like that in the v8

but i have the same plug whenever my wife visit the garage while working with my lotus

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Check under the gas filler door, it may be one of the bumpers that keeps it from hitting the body opening.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I think Sanj has it right but it is possibly the little rubber bumper that acts as a stop for the exterior door handle. It is hidden behind the "pull out" flap. If it is gone you will notice that the angle of the door handle is a little too "inny".

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I think Sanj has it right but it is possibly the little rubber bumper that acts as a stop for the exterior door handle. It is hidden behind the "pull out" flap. If it is gone you will notice that the angle of the door handle is a little too "inny".
V8 has the new style door handles.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check under the gas filler door, it may be one of the bumpers that keeps it from hitting the body opening.
Good guesses guys ---- thanks.

I just checked the fuel flap and both door handles --- all the bumpers are there. So it did not come from any of those places. Those bumpers are slightly different geometry, but similar. So again, good guesses on your parts. :)

Any other ideas ? It does appear to be some sort of "bumper".......

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
It's the safety vent plug for the Pektron Inverter. :D

What do I win????? :clap:

J/K :UK:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Look in the driver's side air intake at the little arm for the fuel filler flap. It should have a stopper for the end of the arm connected to the body work. That stopper looks just like your piece.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look in the driver's side air intake at the little arm for the fuel filler flap. It should have a stopper for the end of the arm connected to the body work. That stopper looks just like your piece.
Interesting....

I'll take a look later tonight. However, are you referring to item (19), described as "buffer, flap open stop" in the parts manual, identified in the attached diagram, or some other part ?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Nope.

The part I am talking about is not in that diagram. Look at this pic. It's not part of the door assembly. It's on the body inside the air intake.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aha, I see.... that is what I thought you must be referring to. I checked, and mine is intact and on the car. You are correct in that they are very similar indeed --- the only difference I noted was that the bumper for the door stop (the one in your photo) has a round nose while the one I found loose under the car has a flat nose......

You guys have all been great with your ideas thus far --- thank you :)

In fact, I am starting to believe that my "mystery part" may not actually belong to the car after all and that it came off something else ( as per s2kseven's suggestion ) and rolled under there --- although at this point, I have no idea what :confused:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts