The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Mystery part --- can anyone please help identify ?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  finnerty 
#1 ·
I'm putting this out to all the DIY gurus here :)

This part appears to have fallen off my V8 Esprit --- I found it laying on the garage floor underneath the engine on the driver's side about midway from front to rear of the engine bay. It is black rubber and appears to be some sort of a plug / stopper ??? It is about the diameter of a pencil and approximately 3/8" tall.

I can't find any place (hole) that looks like it is missing such a small plug or anywhere else where another of the same plug is installed for reference.

Any ideas ?? Anyone know what this is or where it belongs on the car ??

Thanks and sorry for the lousy pics :)

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I think Sanj has it right but it is possibly the little rubber bumper that acts as a stop for the exterior door handle. It is hidden behind the "pull out" flap. If it is gone you will notice that the angle of the door handle is a little too "inny".
Good guesses guys ---- thanks.

I just checked the fuel flap and both door handles --- all the bumpers are there. So it did not come from any of those places. Those bumpers are slightly different geometry, but similar. So again, good guesses on your parts. :)

Any other ideas ? It does appear to be some sort of "bumper".......

#4 ·
I think Sanj has it right but it is possibly the little rubber bumper that acts as a stop for the exterior door handle. It is hidden behind the "pull out" flap. If it is gone you will notice that the angle of the door handle is a little too "inny".

#9 ·
Look in the driver's side air intake at the little arm for the fuel filler flap. It should have a stopper for the end of the arm connected to the body work. That stopper looks just like your piece.

#12 ·
Aha, I see.... that is what I thought you must be referring to. I checked, and mine is intact and on the car. You are correct in that they are very similar indeed --- the only difference I noted was that the bumper for the door stop (the one in your photo) has a round nose while the one I found loose under the car has a flat nose......

You guys have all been great with your ideas thus far --- thank you :)

In fact, I am starting to believe that my "mystery part" may not actually belong to the car after all and that it came off something else ( as per s2kseven's suggestion ) and rolled under there --- although at this point, I have no idea what :confused:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.