The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RULES: post your mystery part by titling "Episode I, II, III, IV," etc... with a brief description of your Lotus car part, where/how you found it, and a photo.

Episode I:

Name the mystery part. Hint: appeared somewhat unexpectedly below the passenger's - side of the engine bay. All lower panels were removed at the time. Rubber w/ paint marker (?), um, markings. :shrug:

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Okay, here's mine....It may not really count because it didn't come from the Lotus, but oh well.

I was replacing the two side mount intercoolers in my previous Audi TT with an aftermarket front mount intercooler. I took the passenger side intercooler off and heard a rattling coming from the intercooler. I shook it out and what you see is what came out (including the penny).....

This absolutely baffled me. I ruled out these items getting past the airfilter because the turbocharger was between the filter and the first intercooler. I'm just lucky none of these parts made it into the engine. The only thing I can think of (especially since it is an American penny and not a Euro cent) is that a couple years prior, the turbocharger had died, and it was replaced under warranty, and this is when that debris got in there....but a penny?!?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, here's mine....It may not really count because it didn't come from the Lotus, but oh well.

I was replacing the two side mount intercoolers in my previous Audi TT with an aftermarket front mount intercooler. I took the passenger side intercooler off and heard a rattling coming from the intercooler. I shook it out and what you see is what came out (including the penny).....

This absolutely baffled me. I ruled out these items getting past the airfilter because the turbocharger was between the filter and the first intercooler. I'm just lucky none of these parts made it into the engine. The only thing I can think of (especially since it is an American penny and not a Euro cent) is that a couple years prior, the turbocharger had died, and it was replaced under warranty, and this is when that debris got in there....but a penny?!?
The white thing looks like a vacuum line barb of some sort...

·
Registered
364 Posts
RULES: post your mystery part by titling "Episode I, II, III, IV," etc... with a brief description of your Lotus car part, where/how you found it, and a photo.

Episode I:

Name the mystery part. Hint: appeared somewhat unexpectedly below the passenger's - side of the engine bay. All lower panels were removed at the time. Rubber w/ paint marker (?), um, markings. :shrug:
Caliper bleed screw rubber cap?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
episode I

well, one day it appeared in the left most vent.

like the rest of the car... just was falling to pieces...:wallbang::shrug:

took a day of auto xing before it came flying out

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
well, one day it appeared in the left most vent.

like the rest of the car... just was falling to pieces...:wallbang::shrug:

took a day of auto xing before it came flying out
I suppose this is in line with Chapman's statement: "Any car which holds together for more than a race is too heavy."

·
Registered
584 Posts

Episode I:

It's bleeder cap for the clutch slave cylinder.

·
Registered
664 Posts
For the part exarkun1178 found. I am guessing it is a plug that is thrown away after installing an air conditioner hose or part. It is left in to keep the part clean on the inside till assembly. Is it made from thin alluminum?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts