The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start a thread to talk about NA power adders, specifically CAMs, chips, underdrive pulleys, gear ratios etc. I am a HUGE fan of Forced Induction, with a Turbo M3 and soon a S/C 2005 Mustang. However, given the character of the Elise, the nature of the Yota motor, I think I would like to get 220-240HP out of it NA. Anyone know of any options?

(Randy, if this goes anywhere can we make the thread sticky?)

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
ha, 60-80 more horsepower out of that little motorcycle engine n/a???
where have u been?? look through the other posts...theres only so much u can get out of such a small motor.....intake, header, head work and other bolt ons will yield about 30-40 hp TOPS.
maybe a stroker kit will get us close with all the other bolt on mods....i dont know of any other motor that will will fit in that engine bay without serious fabrication....
supercharging the engine in the car now isnt all that productive because the compression ratio is 11.5:1....
at this point im thinking the best options for more power is a rebuilt motor with lower compression and a supercharger, or a stroker motor with about the same com. ratio as stock and bolt ons, headwork etc....i dont think they make any other cams for this engine...
either way u will need either a ecu reflash tune, piggy back, or standalone ecu...i dont want to give up too much driveability..

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I'm not going to do anything to jeopardize my warranty. This car is not going to be a cheap one to work on. In three years, I'll start exploring those options, but until then, I'm not expecting the Elise to be as reliable as other cars I've owned.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
why wouldnt it be reliable, at least as far as the engine and tranny go?? just as reliable as any other toyota i would guess...
i cant leave anything alone...but with this car, as ive stated, i think ill take the stock motor out so if i dont like what happens, ill put it back in..

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Oh, I'm not saying it wouldn't be reliable, just that engine modifications will give the manufacturer an opportunity to void related areas of your warranty. For example, the ECU is mounted in the engine compartment, so gets pretty darn hot. Let's so you increase power 20-30hp. Shortly thereafter, the ECU quits working. One could argue that the extra hp increased the heat in the engine compartment, subjecting the ECU to above-normal temperature conditions, leading to a premature failure.

Not saying this would happen, just that it's wise to look at the potential consequnces of doing this stuff.

·
Registered
688 Posts
We are working on exactly what you requested which is a N/A power kit that will add around 30 horsepower to the car and get you up to 220 horsepower. We have our own camshafts being prototyped, as well as two exhaust systems(race and street), intake, header and engine management. This kit should satisfy the N/A guys with much better low end torque and a killer top end. We are also flow benching the head and seeing if there is a lot to be gained by porting and polishing as well. The head is a Yamaha design and actually looks pretty sweet!:)

Of course we will also have a turbo option for the guys that need around 300 horsepower and the rush of forced induction. We will need to lower the compression slightly with this option to maintain reliability with the Garrett 28R handling the boosting duties.

Once you start adding power then you are starting to compromise the braking system and we are also working on options as well. We will have a big brake kit and a rotor upgrade for the Elise giving you guys the choice as to how much stopping power you need. Supension is already developed for the car and will be available in the coming weeks.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. Thanks.

Kenneth.
Forcedfed.com

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Kenneth,
is your site up and working? I'm not getting anything at forcedfed.com

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Force fed....for those who will modify their Elise and autocross it (but not in stock class) it would be advantageous to have more going on torquewise when on the first set of lobes. Especially in the 4-6 range as that is often used on auto-x and this would also help with a smoother transition into Lift. The present transition into Lift can upset the car a bit at times. I'm talking about coming out of a turn..not drag racing.

·
Registered
688 Posts
That is what we are working on at the moment Stan, more low end torque and better top end. Having your cake and eating it!:D
Our web site should be operational later this week. Let me know if you guys have any questions. Thanks.

Kenneth.
Forcedfed.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Forcedfed said:
That is what we are working on at the moment Stan, more low end torque and better top end. Having your cake and eating it!:D
Our web site should be operational later this week. Let me know if you guys have any questions. Thanks.

Kenneth.
Forcedfed.
Glad to hear it. Best of luck with your product development. Please don't be shy with what you are planning, and be sure to post dyno plots.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
220 hp at the crank ur talking an increase of 20-25 hp at the wheels...thats not a whole lot especially if ur buying cams, custom headers, etc...i dont know
its a 1.8 liter engine...ur gonna spend ALOT for very little relative gain in hp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts