The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 Exige and am seriously considering putting a supercharger (BWR, Katana, etc.) on it eventually. At the moment though, I find myself wanting to upgrade my exhaust from the stocker. The one that has peaked my interest the most is the Lotus Stage II for the N/A cars. I've found that I really enjoy the sound, appearance, the fact that its a Lotus supplied part and the lower weight.

My questions are: Will the N/A Stage II cause any issues if I do decide to install an aftermarket supercharger? I have tried searching but because the Stage II exists for the N/A cars and the Exige 'S, I've found it very difficult to figure out which one people are talking about in the threads I have found. Some comments make it sound like it won't work well and others that it will be far too restrictive. Aren't most of the aftermarket blowers designed with the stock (more restrctive that the Stage II) exhaust in mind or is it just assumed that you're going to upgrade to a Larini or other aftermarket unit along with the S/C kit?

Does anyone have first hand experience with this? Can anyone give me some more specific information to help make this decision? I don't want to buy an exhaust now and find out in a year or two that I have to replace it again. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have the Janspeed N/A stage 2 on my S. Had it that way since new - before there was an actual S stage 2 even available. I have no issues what so ever. The primary reason behind the new S stage 2 and the N/A is sound driven.

When connected to the S, a N/A stage 2 is even louder than when it is connected to a N/A engine. Lotus wanted to keep the look the same as the S and (more importantly) the sound down to the same level as when a stage 2 is connected to a N/A car - so the S stage 2 has some additional baffeling to quiet it to that level.

Basically, the S stage 2 is quieter than the N/A stage 2 when connected to the S. If you park a S stage 2 next to an N/A car with a N/A stage 2 - they will sound close (the variations have to do more with the different ECU tuning and variable cam) - but the dB's should be close.

The S stage 2 is heavier than the N/A stage 2.

Like all exhaust choices, it will boil down to your preference. If you like it loud and to pop like crazy then the N/A stage 2 will be ok.

If you would like the tone to be a little quieter but still loud - the S stage 2 will work.

There is no negative performance impact with either and no performance gain with either. Some think the N/A stage 2 is less restrictive and to some degree it is, but not enough to enhance performance as much as it is just affecting the sound.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Vishus, this does sorta correspond to what was my understanding from what I've read. I guess I'll be looking for the Stage II then!

:D

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
On another note - on the cup cars, when you get the stage 2 it is the N/A version - not the S version. I suspect Lotus is fine with this because the cup car isn't street legal - so therefore no noise restriction and because it is lighter.

Everyone has their preference, I'm sure S owners with the S stage 2 are just as happy and don't mind or notice the sound level difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts