The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the Exige S has a tendency to heat soak when your on track for an extended period of time has anyone ever thought of installing a N20 intercooler sprayer before? It should lower the temps of the intercooler a good bit combine it with some spal puller fans and you should be good right??? Please advise me if I'm misguided or if there are draw backs as I think I might be doing it soon.

·
Registered
389 Posts
What would be really cool (pun intended) would be ECU tune controlled nitrous injection into the intake (post charger). It would cool AND add oxidation potential... seems like that would be a killer path to power.

Combine with twin vortex for better efficiency and safety factors for street/when juice bottle runs out and it would be minimal trouble... but you still gotta buy and swap out the bottle :).

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
N2O is good for dragracing / short run type stuff, but would be a very bad / expensive for track use. Like stated above a water sprayer would be much better and cheaper. You could probably build a water sprayer for less than $20 or free even using a windshield washer pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anybody given the thought of Water/Methanol injection? I mean, it'll help reduce IAT's while increasing knock resistance. A little best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Has anybody given the thought of Water/Methanol injection? I mean, it'll help reduce IAT's while increasing knock resistance. A little best of both worlds.
Indeed if I go for more power I will be doing this. There is a huge water injection / very opinionated thread on here some where the discussion got a bit heated. You can check out if your interested in learning about it's benefits.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Using the NO2 to cool the intercooler would be like using champane to applied topically to cool yourself. Water would be just as good, and maybe even a bit better. Just a waste of $ IMO.
You could use CO2 which would do that same thing, but an intercooler or a water sprayer are the way to do it right.
After cooling the charge; if you want to add in NO2 for more power then that is a different thing all together.

I thought that the alcohol was used originally for the water injection in propeller driven fighter planes just to keep the water from freezing at altitude?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yup. C02 is much easier to deal with, and much cheaper to use on a routine basis. I generally use an external bottle to hose down air to air intercoolers between track sessions, when they heat soak badly.

It would be trivial to rig up a spray bar and accomplish the same thing, though I doubt many track officials would like it if you used it on the move and they saw a huge cloud of vapor blow out of your engine bay. :)

I generally prefer an ATA core with the occasional spray down over a WTA core when practical. Much simpler, much less weight, and nothing to leak.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I thought that the alcohol was used originally for the water injection in propeller driven fighter planes just to keep the water from freezing at altitude?
Water is a combustion inhabitant. Spray atomized water into your combustion chamber, and you reduce the speed of the ignition and take some heat out of it. It was done on aircraft during WWII largely as a bandaid for fuel octane to prevent detonation. Most planes used a 50/50 mix of water and alcohol to prevent it freezing at altitude.

The problem is, if you depend on the water injection bandaid to allow you to run more boost, rather than the use-in-special-conditions solution it originally was, you can have a very bad day if something fails in the system.

A properly built fuel system with high octane gas, and a properly built intercooling system, are a much safer way to go about forced induction in an automobile engine driven in any kind of endurance situation.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yup. C02 is much easier to deal with, and much cheaper to use on a routine basis. I generally use an external bottle to hose down air to air intercoolers between track sessions, when they heat soak badly.

It would be trivial to rig up a spray bar and accomplish the same thing, though I doubt many track officials would like it if you used it on the move and they saw a huge cloud of vapor blow out of your engine bay. :)

I generally prefer an ATA core with the occasional spray down over a WTA core when practical. Much simpler, much less weight, and nothing to leak.
Now, where did I put Al Gore's number....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts