The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I've tried, I can't seem to get a Lotus out of my mind. I was thinking about the Exige S, but I think an Elise might be a viable alternative for me - less $$$ and the rearward visibility is an added bonus. I'll probably only track the car minimally (if ever), so the added downforce of the Exige may not be put to good use in my case (although I do love the look of the fastback!). Anyway, my mind has started to turn towards the Elise. Does the Elise SC completely overshadow the NA Elise in terms of performance? I will test drive both of course, but you can only get so much information from a test drive and I wonder if I'll regret buying the NA Elise down the road. Any opinions from the experts here as to whether a NA Elise (possibly an '07 for even better value) will give me the daily driving thrill I'm looking for, or should I just save the extra pennies for the SC? The car will mostly see civilian' roads in Northern Cal, maybe a track day here or there. Thought about an '07 Exige S as well, but if I wanted to go '07 I could get an NA Elise and save even more $$$.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Buy the NA and put a supercharger on it later, if you want.

I'm putting a nitrous kit on mine, cause it is a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
It's pretty hard to justify the price difference from an 05 used elise to an 07 Exige S. Believe me, it's been on my mind a lot :D Of course 07 elise vs 07 exige s, the price gap isn't as much so it would be more temping.

The elise is plenty fast on the street (although more torque from the S may be nice sometimes). I don't like the look of the Exige with the top off, and up here in northern CA, my top is off most of the year. Take a test drive and see if the elise is fast enough for you?

·
Registered
817 Posts
The NA Elise is plenty fast enough for the streets, IMO.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
lotus will release an SC kit for the elise later if that make any difference in your decision.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Does the Elise SC completely overshadow the NA Elise in terms of performance?
Oh, Yes! But if you're new to Lotus...or new to the Elise, getting the NA and becoming an accomplished driver with a few HPDE sessions will make you much better prepared for the capability of an SC.

Any opinions from the experts here as to whether a NA Elise (possibly an '07 for even better value) will give me the daily driving thrill I'm looking for,
Oh, Yes! (Again...) And then, spend the money you've saved on a Katana and get all the performance you could imagine wanting in a still perfectly balanced (handling, braking) car.

I bought the Katana and drove out to SoCal to have Qais install it. I selected the Katana at the time to get a CharlieX tune for the SC, and keep the accessories (especially the alternator) in a user-friendly place. It has been nothing but a joy since the install (now about 2300 miles down the road) and I'd never change or go back.

or should I just save the extra pennies for the SC? The car will mostly see civilian' roads in Northern Cal, maybe a track day here or there. Thought about an '07 Exige S as well, but if I wanted to go '07 I could get an NA Elise and save even more $$$.
Get the NA, get used to it and hone your driving skills. Then get an aftermarket SC like the Katana and learn to drive 'er all over again! :nanner:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lotus will release an SC kit for the elise later if that make any difference in your decision.
Hmm, didn't know that. Nice to know there's a factory upgrade path in the works if I choose that route. Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
agreed....get an NA for around $30 K .... much cheaper....have fun with it....drop S/C in it later for 5 to 6K

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you want a warranty then IMHO buy the 08 SC (I did). If you don't care about a warranty then get an 05-07 and mod it with CAI + Katana w/ 3.2'' pulley.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
The factory supercharger upgrade has been rumored for a couple of years now. Don't get your hopes up... so far it is Vaporware just like the stage 3 kit.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
The factory supercharger upgrade has been rumored for a couple of years now. Don't get your hopes up... so far it is Vaporware just like the stage 3 kit.
I have reason to believe it is indeed real and that it will be the Elise SC upgrade, non intercooled, with the MP45...and it will be overpriced as expected, but will maintain warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I have reason to believe it is indeed real and that it will be the Elise SC upgrade, non intercooled, with the MP45...and it will be overpriced as expected, but will maintain warranty.
I'm kind of a warranty-type of guy (e.g. - on my Range Rover), but I think there are enough people that can tinker with the toyota 1.8...I'd save the $$$ for mods and upkeep

·
Registered
159 Posts
Totally go for the n/a Elise and do the aftermarket supercharger kit from Sector111 or Blackwatch.........You'll save scads of money.

I did it, and cannot be happier....plus, it is more power than the Elise SC.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
True, it's that little issue of a voided warranty that kind of bothers me :D
warranty is gone on the '05's anyway.

The bigger issue is CARB compliance. none of the aftermarket SC kits have it which means you have to go find a "friendly" smog place. A headache, though one that many of us deal with.

A Lotus SC kit, on the other hand, likely would come with CARB certification. Though that statement is as full of conjecture as the one that says that Lotus is making said kit.

I would opt for Lotus parts when available (even though I didn't :evil:)

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I'm kind of a warranty-type of guy (e.g. - on my Range Rover), but I think there are enough people that can tinker with the toyota 1.8...I'd save the $$$ for mods and upkeep
oh ya, I wasn't recomending it, just saying its going to be an option for those interested.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Get an NA and then learn to drive it. It is incredibly gratifying to be able to kick butt with 190 HP. The cost of a Katana would buy LOTS of good driving school time. And that works on every car you drive!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts