The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a nail in one of my rear tires. It was about an inch from the sidwall so they just put a plug in. I think I need to get a new tire due to occasional HPDE and Autocross.

The tire is a Star spec 245/40 with only about 3000 miles and a single hpde event. i am guessing there is 85% tread left.

I have an LSD and I wonder if slightly different diameters will be an issue. Id much rather buy a single tire than a pair if possible.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
Aaron

·
Registered
685 Posts
Get a shop to remove the tyre, put a proper patch on the inside, replace and balance and you're good to go.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They said it was too close to the sidewall to patch (bout an inch). Also, is a patch even safe for HPDE? THe internet wisdom varies on that.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If it's in the tread area, it can be patched. If it's in the sidewall, it needs to be thrown out. A plug won't hold for long. The sidewall flexes too much.

Could always throw a tube in vs chucking the tire I guess. Never have run one in a radial tire though, not sure if you can even?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If you do have to replace the tire, you can have the other side measured, and have the new one shaved to match. No need to buy two if one has a lot of meat left.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
They said it was too close to the sidewall to patch (bout an inch). Also, is a patch even safe for HPDE? THe internet wisdom varies on that.
Find another shop, (a non chain discount type tire shop) I just had a near new AD08 with a nail 1" from the sidewall patched, Shame to see a perfectly good tire go down because someone wants to sell you a new tire, or in your case two new tires.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The 2 times I repaired a tire that had a puncture near the sidewall (I used to do tires for a living), it didn't last very long.

That last one was this summer on my trailer. Blew the tire when I was hauling about 18,000lbs of topsoil. Tire flew apart, ripped out some wiring and screwed up a ladies hood and windshield (she was tailgating me). Destroyed the wheel too. Check out the squish on the other tire. E rated, 80psi.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx guys i dont think i am going to risk driving hpde on the tire. I am more concerned about if i need to buy a single or a pair at this point.
Thks
Aaron

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
just incountered same thing-- 1 1/2 from side on rear -- put a plug inside to out , then patch over - not tracking car at this time - inside tire cleaned well, heat dryed then install plug & patch- new stock 07's are up to 350 plus on tire rack for rears -- not a racer so never shaved a tire, know its more common in racing maybe but with some research came to conclusion that there are few good shops that do it & they can sometimes end up with a slick getting tire evenly balanced middle to outside - but if racing i'm sure I would opt for 2 new tires for peace of mind - or shave new tire to match other

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
put a plug inside to out , then patch over -
There are patch/plug items available, and I consider that superior to a separate patch and plug.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts