The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The national Do Not Call list is finally open for registration, follow this link. For those of you not familiar with this, it's to eliminate most unsolicited phone calls. Telemarketers who call a number on this list face hefty fines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just for those of you that have not heard the official news on this, the piece of legislation behind this is so full of holes, it is not even funny. You would think this would stop all unsolicited calls, right? Wrong! Who is exempted from this law?:

Telecom companies (Argh! They are the worst).
Any company calling you from your state
Any company calling to do market research or conduct a poll (instead of "we have this amazing offer for xxx at a cost of yyy" we will be getting "on a scale of 1 to 10 how would you feeling knowing that company z is willing to offer you xxx at a cost of yyy!")
I know that there are some others that I am forgetting, but I feel like we are being suckered here once again. For once in this country I would like to see a piece of legislation become law without all of these stupid little loopholes and exceptions that get thrown in because of lobbyists...

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is even worse than I thought:

The FTC’s jurisdiction is limited, with no authority over intra-state calls, nor over certain industries including banks, charities, politicians and common carriers. These entities are regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and without harmony between these federal agencies certain industries will fall outside the scope of enforcement of the national Do Not Call Registry.

http://www.gryphonnetworks.com/press/newsletters/2003_06/2003_06.html

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh sheesh. This is ridiculous!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts