The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We received this email from the insurance agent, she is really nice and seems to have done all she could to prevent this from happening.

"We got an email from our underwriting department regarding the 2007 Lotus
that is currently insured on your policy. Due to the type of vehicle we
cannot continue to insure it come your 10/3/09 renewal. I tried getting
approval from my underwriter but he says that based on the cost and
availability of parts for this type of vehicle we cannot insure it. They
will allow us to keep it on your policy until the renewal date, however
after that it will be removed. The only other company I can write for is
Progressive and they told me they will not insure this type of vehicle
either. I wanted to give you as much time as possible to make
arrangements elsewhere to insure this vehicle. Please let me know if you
have any questions. I apologize that we will not be able to continue to
offer you coverage on this vehicle there are unfortunately certain
vehicles we cannot insure. Please keep me posted."

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Sounds as though you are working through a broker...might want to insure directly with a company instead. :shrug:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have State Farm, and I am getting a very reasonable rate from my agent. She's located off exit 28 on the beltway, but I'm not sure how important proximity to agent is to you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have State Farm, and I am getting a very reasonable rate from my agent. She's located off exit 28 on the beltway, but I'm not sure how important proximity to agent is to you.
Agent proximity is not very important. The agent that handles our account was assigned from Nationwide, we went through Nationwide and they just gave us an agent. I will look into state farm, I keep getting mail from them anyway!

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
We have State Farm for everything - life, home, multiple cars, liability, etc.

I don't know if it is just because of the multi-discount or because I'm an old married man with a bunch of kids, no tickets, no at fault accidents, etc but the insurance rate for the Elise through them is several hundred dollars less per year than the property tax that I pay on the car.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
Have AAA for everything.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Any recommendations?
Hi Christina -

Who's your current carrier?

I have had eight Lotus cars and many others insured with State Farm over the years. They have always had reasonable rates and have always dealt fairly and quickly when I've had to make a claim. My present cost in Colorado -- 100/300/100, full comp, 250 ded collision, over 50, no tickets within 5 years -- is $375/6 mo. (I also have three other cars with SF as well as house and mountain vacation home, so multi car and multi vol discounts as well as 'accident free.')

Good luck wherever you go. :up:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Who's your current carrier?
Agent proximity is not very important. The agent that handles our account was assigned from Nationwide, we went through Nationwide and they just gave us an agent. I will look into state farm, I keep getting mail from them anyway!
Du-u-uhhh! :eek:

I'll sign up for remedial reading today... :wallbang:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Like nobody saw this coming?

What did anyone think would be the logical outcome of all those clam replacements for 1mph bumps. As everyone flocks to state farm we can expect the same response from them once they get tired of paying out big $ claims...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Are you directly with Nationwide or were you with Victoria? As far as I know Victoria will still insure the Lotus. They are just the specialty division of Nationwide.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i have it with geico. Didnt have any problems. I had a hard time finding someone to insure the maserati but progressive was willing to insure it. Even though your agent said progrssive wouldnt, i would call progressive directly. They had no problem covering the maserati or the lotus. I just got a quote for the lotus when i did the maserati so i think she is full of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just picked up insurance with Nation Wide (through Victoria/Titan).

Quotes from State Farm, All State and Nation Wide ranged between $980 - $1450 / 6 months. Decided to go with the Victoria/Titan at $856 / 6 mo.

This was the first I have ever heard of insurance companies looking back 5 years at occurrences and counting "improper equipment" as violations :(

·
Registered
470 Posts
wow. that seems like so much. i am with geico and i pay aboout 70 a month. 300,000/300,000 $500 deduct. not violations, had windsheild replaced and rate didnt change

·
Registered
438 Posts
"The only other company I can write for is
Progressive and they told me they will not insure this type of vehicle
either."

I have progressive for my 2006 elise and signed up for it and pay through their website no problem. It seemed like a reasonable rate when I signed up for it. I pay 1400 per 6 months for the lotus and a 2003 mitsubishi lancer. Keep in mind I am 23 and male. I have max coverage on both and full tort.

·
Registered
443 Posts
i have it with geico. Didnt have any problems. I had a hard time finding someone to insure the maserati but progressive was willing to insure it. Even though your agent said progrssive wouldnt, i would call progressive directly. They had no problem covering the maserati or the lotus. I just got a quote for the lotus when i did the maserati so i think she is full of it.
Progressive covers my Lotus, too.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have my lotus under Progressive. I went through their online service. They were the cheapest so I went with em. They didn't know how much it was going to be for a couple of days....they said they had to look into it. I said "ok". I pay ~180.00 a month for full coverage on both vehicles (not sure why I have full on the Ranger....)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts