The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in Arnold's utopia of CARB heaven: Ghalliphoneeah

Did the Letsla mod, Manly mounts, de-snorkle. NO PROBLEM...passed smog.

Just bought an Arqray SS single tip. Plan to de-cat (but put it back in for road use;)).

Smaller/lighter wheels are a possibility. As is a diet for the driver (100lbs=).

What else can I do to improve non-forced-induction performance that is CARB approved or CARB reversible?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Cup airbox.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Professional track day training
Tires
Shocks
Lotus Sport ECU

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
nitrous

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
You won't really get any horsepower gains out of "header/exhaust/intake" changes without a customized tune, I'd suggest suspension upgrades, and some track experience.

You could always do some exhaust/intake modification then get the CharlieX N/A tune.

Edit; CharlieX tune being arguably better than the Lotus Sport tune, as it shows both performance gain, and switches the cam-switch point (Which is all the Lotus Sport tune does).
And I believe Charlie's is cheaper, unless you wanna keep your warranty

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
check out boosted2.0 head work and blackwatch racings oversize TB

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
check out boosted2.0 head work and blackwatch racings oversize TB
Still gonna need soooome sort of tuning, though if I were at sea level, the intake manifold, TB, a header, cup airbox, free flowing exhaust and decat + a custom tune would be pretty damn sweet.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a one day Skip Barber course at Laguna Seca, and agree, more of that would make a huge difference. Think I should get some track time first, then go back for more.

But its more expensive than a supercharger and all the other mods mentioned combined.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You won't really get any horsepower gains out of "header/exhaust/intake" changes without a customized tune, I'd suggest suspension upgrades, and some track experience.

You could always do some exhaust/intake modification then get the CharlieX N/A tune.

Edit; CharlieX tune being arguably better than the Lotus Sport tune, as it shows both performance gain, and switches the cam-switch point (Which is all the Lotus Sport tune does).
And I believe Charlie's is cheaper, unless you wanna keep your warranty
Getting those aftermarket installs and the tune, would this be likely to increase or decrease your gas mileage?

Im thinking decrease as to your getting better performance, and its not due to less gas.... :shrug:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Practically: Move, or build a track car.

There's significant power to be had in N/A trim, but none of it will have a prayer of being Cali-tard approved.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
If you're going to keep NA and want to maximize performance, I vote lose the weight.

There is so much extra weight in these cars - seats, steering wheel, air bags, speakers, a/c, etc., etc....

One of the fastest guys in our LCS series has an NA Elise that is super fast due mostly to gutting it out.

·
Registered
648 Posts
significant power + carb = sawzall !
Well your doomed if even charlie says to use the sawzall :tadts:

I have one really cool idea ITB's with open trumpets. Think a company called Trial in Japan made a kit. It'll be scary though when you realize the intake makes more noise then the exhaust.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm sure if you visited a few toyota forums, you could find out just how much that motor can put out NA, where to get parts, and what to do, etc...

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wondering, why not use forced induction?
Can't pass the smog test in CA without CARB approval on the supercharger or turbo setup. No aftermarket supplier (that I know of) offers CARB approved systems. Rumour is that Lotus will offer one, but very expensive for not much gain.

Therefore looking to stick with the spirit of the car (and remain street legal in CA), and go for N/A and weight reduction.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
The lotus one isn't all THAT expensive, considering you keep your CARB cert and more resale value... did you even look to see how much it is? :p

1 - 20 of 42 Posts