The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering looking around for a nav system to go in the elise. I have a ruff idea where i can place the system. (The place where the cd player is i want to take it out and out in one of those side out pop up navi systems i'v seen at car shows.) WHat are some good ones out there? What are some good places for the navi system? I am considering a navi system because i'm planning on traveling with the car and i have family all over and i just cannot possibly remeber all the places and streets. PLus for some long nice drives its a nice luxury.

I know Alpine will custom to any car but i know nothing about navigation systems and any work needed for installation.

IS there anyone with previous experience please be kind enough to educate me on the navi systems?

I have seen suv's cramp navi systems anyplace they wish but i have no clue how much it cost or what is the work that is needed.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Alpine is probably your best bet, you can get them for around $1700 and it will basically slide right in a single din opening, you will have to find some room for the "brain" (approximately 1.5-2" thick and 8"x8" square) and wire for the antenna and I think that's about it. I checked them out but I didn't get it so I haven't actually installed a system but I don't think it's too difficult and I may have missed a couple things as well.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It's just a Nav system now... then before you know it, it's spinner rims and velour suits!

Friends don't let friends bling bling.

Let's all chip in to buy RD a street atlas... ;)

Cade

·
Registered
296 Posts
It's really not a huge weight difference from a standard head unit and it is fun to play with sometimes. How much does an atlas weigh? Or maybe your portable DVD player you take on trips? Its fun and amusement will outweigh (no pun intended) its performance loss.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Oh, I've got nothing against the nav system itself... and as I've said before, whatever floats your boat, go for it, it's your car, and your money. (I love America!) I just couldn't help giving RD some flak. :D

As for me personally, I can get any car with all the options and all. I want this car because it won't need any of the options to keep me entertained. The driving itself will be the best. And if I DO get lost... well, that's just more driving to enjoy while I sort it out. I wish I'd had one in DC this weekend... whew. Plenty of being lost there.

Don't take me too serious, ya'll... I'm only funnin'. (As we say in TX)

Cade

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
MotorCade said:

As for me personally, I can get any car with all the options and all. I want this car because it won't need any of the options to keep me entertained. The driving itself will be the best. And if I DO get lost... well, that's just more driving to enjoy while I sort it out.
Ditto.

No blinging on the elise board.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
And so forms our second forum-fundamentalist group... first it was the Chrome Orange Mafia... but the Anti Crap/Bling Confederation is soooo insidious, we've even snuck our logo onto ALL of the cars produced by Lotus. Hail ACBC!

:D

Cade

Just say no to bling.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
You won't have time to fiddle around with a nav system, you'll be too involved with driving - that's what this car is all about.

I'm old-school (or is it, just "old"?) - I'll chip in for the road atlas ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just get a gps cellphone and a nav service. No cd updates to purchase, no antennas to install etc. Just a phone, and it works in every car.

It runs under 10/month. (vs 1700 for the alpine, or 1100 for the new garmin)

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I thought we were being sneaky getting our logo onto all the cars, then I just noticed that the chrome orange mafia is all over the web... For example: yahoo.COM, Elisetalk.COM, Lotusforums.COM... Are you guys union or what?

Cade

·
Registered
219 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
I think that putting a nav system in an Elise makes about as much sense as this:

WOO WOO!!

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Groan. :rolleyes: That may not be illegal (yet), but that clip ought to be sent to sent to the cops - crossing the double yellow, blowing through a stop sign, general reckless, etc. etc.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
MotorCade said:
I thought we were being sneaky getting our logo onto all the cars, then I just noticed that the chrome orange mafia is all over the web... For example: yahoo.COM, Elisetalk.COM, Lotusforums.COM... Are you guys union or what?

Cade
The first rule of the Chrome Orange Mafia, Don't talk about the Chrome Orange mafia.

The Second rule of the Chrome Orange Mafia, Don't talk about the Chrome Orange mafia.

Don't make us "accidently" change your order to CO. We have connections.

Lotusfury.COM ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts