The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well the time has come to post up my race splitter.its been a very long project.i am starting this thread to show the design.make updates as the project progresses.

benefits to this design

1)raised center for improved airflow under high speed braking.allows air to flow when the nose dives.

2)tire flicks that covers most of the tire.this helps with managing air around the tire.keeps the air from entering the wheel well.prevents lift in the wheel well.

3)fully closed in suspension.this cuts down on drag and allows the flat floor to work better.the splitter bottom will be made in a few different pieces.this helps with installing the splitter and close out area.also for maintenance.

4)thin profile of splitter.this helps with ground clearance.the outer shape is 2 3/4 off the plinth.3 1/2 most of the way around to the tire flicks.this outer shape should work well on the street.plus be very effective on the race track.

5)dive planes.i will be offering dive planes to go along with this splitter.they will mount lower on the clam.this can be achieved with the tire flicks.without you would be filling the wheel well with high pressure air.these will help when balancing down force.

6)high quality construction.i use high quality epoxy resin.these splitters will be vacuum bagged and oven cured.i will also be using over expanded core for light weight.

7)track tested.i will be track testing this design.i have a few guys that are interested in the splitter.one lives in an area that can run in the winter time.so hopefully this will happen soon after the first few are constructed.i am out of track days here in portland oregon.although i may do so road testing showing the splitter in action with tufts.

8)mounts to crash structure.as well as the lip on the under side of the clam.the aluminum under tray is replaced by the bottom side of the splitter.the lip that meets the clam on the top side will use a strip of 3m vhb mounting tape.
orders

i am going to take 5 initial orders for the splitter.i will be offering them in carbon fiber or e glass.the carbon fiber price will be 900$the e glass price will be 750$place your name on the list if you are interested in getting one.i wont need a deposit.i just need to know how much material to order when the time comes.

1)darth g f(carbon)
2)ztec (e glass)
3)kingsol(carbon)
4)Paul S (carbon)
5)PECivil (e glass)
spots 6 through 10 are subject to a slight price increase.
6)shulmanb(e glass)
7)ruggedbert(e glass)
8)harix(e glass)
9)darksol(carbon)
10)wiskey(carbon)

i am only a few days away from starting the mould making process.so things will be moving quickly from here on out.i will be making updates to this thread as it progresses.
P7140032.JPG

P7140036.JPG

P7140029.JPG

P7140062.JPG

P7140073.JPG

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tire coverage

this pic shows it pretty well.it does leave about 3/4 of an inch exposed.if i covered the whole tire it would look odd.if you draw a strait line from just below the reflector that is what is covered.
P7140049.JPG

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
This design in my opinion is the best I have seen in all the offerings and have been watching this progress with great interest as it addresses every issue I have had with several other splitters I have installed and run over the years since purchasing my car in 06. One of the things I truly enjoy about my Elise is I can drive to a track event, Run the event and drive home and a proper front splitter has been the missing link in my Aero setup and fills the gap with style and function.
I am very happy to see you made this with attachment points to mount this without fear of a mounting failure, The whole vertical lip can be mounted with a strip of 3M VHB (Very High Bond) tape to eliminate the need for support rods for those who choose to not run them.
Well done Kevin!

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Looks smart. It's about time someone came up with a proper splitter for an Elise. Every single offering to date has something regrettable about it, especially the ones that require a sandwich of two separate devices to achieve a seal. Fully covering those cute but useless little mini fins is great.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just cleared some pms.someone tried to pm me but the box was full.one thing i would like to add.im going to hold these prices for the first 5.there may be a chance the price will go up after these 5 are built.i just wont know for sure tell i build some.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
i just cleared some pms.someone tried to pm me but the box was full.one thing i would like to add.im going to hold these prices for the first 5.there may be a chance the price will go up after these 5 are built.i just wont know for sure tell i build some.
Are you going to make these for the Exige too?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i really would like to make an exige version.the bottom section will work fine.i just need access to an exige for a bit of test fitting.i need to create the top side to work with the exige.i have also been looking for an exige front clam.of course when i really need one,there are none for sale used.

·
Registered
644 Posts
+1 for an exige splitter. I'll take one in carbon. I have been eyeing the reverie splitter that has the wheel covers but the price of yours is right.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the kind words.i have been fine tuning the shape all day.i think i have fine tuning madness:crazyeyes.im at the stage where i need to just say its good and move on.so in the morning i will finalize the top side.then more fine tuning on the bottom:crazyeyes.im hoping to be starting the moulds on Wednesday.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Did you fabricate your mesh or is that an available kit?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Great job. Best splitter I have seen for the Elise.

1 - 20 of 507 Posts