The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a few old threads about this but they didn't go very far: the stock rear view mirror is massive, possibly bigger than the Elise mirror. For taller folks it creates a big blindspot for anything right of center. I'm hoping to find a replacement option that is very small, which would work well with the very small rear window we are working with. I think the mirror offers a lot of value so eliminating it isn't an option.

Does anyone know if this mirror or (more importantly) the mounting bracket is used in another car? I've read some conflicting posts that it may be the same mirror used in MY07+ Elise but I don't think that's the case. If so a Sector111 Micro mirror would be perfect.

Attached are some pictures of the mounting bracket, my MY11 has a Magna ie20205028 (or Magna 0305028) mirror, not coming up with much.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I have the HethelSport mirror. Works great, much smaller than the stock one. My V1 fits nicely over it, and my dash cam nicely behind the right side.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if/when Sherman is restocking them, so you'll have to contact him.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I second HethelSport's mirror. They have been out of stock on their website but when I contacted Sherman, he still had parts to make them. Very happy with the product and he's a great guy to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
548 Posts
I have been too.. group buy? Or at least an order just to cover us..

·
Galactic Hitchhiker
383 Posts
+1 vote for Sherman's mirror. Well worth the $$.

·
Lotus Evora Specialty
236 Posts
@agentdr8 and @mump--Thanks for kind words!

So here's the deal: Early this year, I reorganized the shop and in the process, misplaced the parts template and jigs to assemble them. I know they're around somewhere but after an hour of searching, I still couldn't find them.

I've got a couple people on an informal waiting list but with this thread, I really should make it a higher priority. We're closed for a few weeks (We're a very small business, I believe the couture label is 'boutique shop' :facepalm) but when we return, I'll look again. If they're truly buried, I'll make a new template & assembly jig, and order the materials.

Thanks for the interest... I'll have some updates in a month.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've found a few old threads about this but they didn't go very far: the stock rear view mirror is massive, possibly bigger than the Elise mirror. For taller folks it creates a big blindspot for anything right of center. I'm hoping to find a replacement option that is very small, which would work well with the very small rear window we are working with. I think the mirror offers a lot of value so eliminating it isn't an option.

Does anyone know if this mirror or (more importantly) the mounting bracket is used in another car? I've read some conflicting posts that it may be the same mirror used in MY07+ Elise but I don't think that's the case. If so a Sector111 Micro mirror would be perfect.

Attached are some pictures of the mounting bracket, my MY11 has a Magna ie20205028 (or Magna 0305028) mirror, not coming up with much.

Thanks.
I have the MY07 Elise and it has the same part numbers and size as your.

·
Galactic Hitchhiker
383 Posts
Interesting, though it's possible the arm and mount are different, does your mount look like the one in my pictures?

Thanks.
Deroure says that mirror and plinth both have been used for Evora, 400, 2007+ Elise/Exige, Europa & Exige v6.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Deroure says that mirror and plinth both have been used for Evora, 400, 2007+ Elise/Exige, Europa & Exige v6.
Good call, didn't even think to look there. So it seems a Sector111 MicroMirror should fit as well, I really liked mine in my Elise.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm interested in this topic, so posting to subscribe if nothing else. I'm a bit concerned by the comment about the replacement mirror actually sitting slightly lower than the OE - given that for tall guys like the OP (and me) it's already kind of "in the way" of vision at times. Wouldn't that make this problem worse?

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I'm 5' 10", so I'm not sure if I fall into that "tall guy" category, but I found the OE mirror to show mostly the passenger headrest and the engine cover. By having the micro mirror slightly lower on the mount, you can angle it up higher, which gives you more visibility through the rear window, and you can actually see farther up the hood/windshield of the vehicle behind you.

As for forward visibility, having the micro mirror lower does impact overhead stop lights slightly, but I've adjusted by either stopping more forward or more rearward of the line.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yup, that part I get, but at 6'1 (guess with a long torso, since I've always had to sit kind of forward to fully press clutches), the mirror itself is sometimes in the way of the vision to the right ahead of the car. Between the two things most important F&R visibility, the front is more of a concern than the rear. I could pull the 'ol "Italian Driving" technique on it and restore the front I suppose.

·
Registered
164 Posts
As stated before, I have HethelSport's mirror and I am 6"2 - never thought of it in the wayof my vision. It is so small, all u see is exactly out the back window, no trim, no nothing. I was on the fence purchasing it, it took me about a year, adding/removing it from my cart. If I had to do it again, I would have done it immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
This thread finally inspired me to finish my latest project. I've adapted a mirror from an early Mercedes SLK to fit my Evora.

Size comparison - it's usefully smaller, and the oval shape reduces the blind spot significantly:

First, I cut a rectangle out of the Mercedes mirror stem, allowing it to slide down over the mounting plinth. I slipped a couple of times with the cutting disk, so I'll have to paint the stem when I get around to it:

Then I cut the mounting point from the original mirror to fit inside the Mercedes stem. It's actually a tight enough fit that I haven't even bothered with properly fixing it in place yet. I could maybe put a screw through it, or more simply use adhesive. I'll do that after I get around to painting it:

Final results:

The design of the Mercedes stem is such that the mirror is mounted slightly further away from the driver, closer to the windscreen. This reduces the blind spot a little more.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
"Necessity is the mother of invention" at its finest. That Merc mirror looks more OE as a finished product, and keeps the built-in tilt which some may like.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts