The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, that looks sharp. Would love to see a side by side comparison to the Sector111 and HethelSport options. Brendan, can you measure the width and height of the MB mirror? Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Agentdr8, agreed. With all due respect, I haven't actually seen the HethelSport mirror, but from the pictures, it doesn't look at all like something you'd expect from the factory. The Merc part is a more cohesive design.

Only downside is the Merc part is noticeably heavier than standard.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, that looks sharp. Would love to see a side by side comparison to the Sector111 and HethelSport options. Brendan, can you measure the width and height of the MB mirror? Thanks.
It's 22.2cm * 6.7cm. Not that much smaller than the original, but the rounded shape makes a big difference, as does the way it's mounted further away from the driver.

I wouldn't want to go much smaller anyway. I made my own mirror for my first Exige, trying to match the size to suit the small rear window, but forgot to take into account that you really need to see the whole window with both eyes at once.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This thread finally inspired me to finish my latest project. I've adapted a mirror from an early Mercedes SLK to fit my Evora.

Size comparison - it's usefully smaller, and the oval shape reduces the blind spot significantly:

First, I cut a rectangle out of the Mercedes mirror stem, allowing it to slide down over the mounting plinth. I slipped a couple of times with the cutting disk, so I'll have to paint the stem when I get around to it:

Then I cut the mounting point from the original mirror to fit inside the Mercedes stem. It's actually a tight enough fit that I haven't even bothered with properly fixing it in place yet. I could maybe put a screw through it, or more simply use adhesive. I'll do that after I get around to painting it:

Final results:

The design of the Mercedes stem is such that the mirror is mounted slightly further away from the driver, closer to the windscreen. This reduces the blind spot a little more.
Man that looks nice! What year is the SLK mirror you took from?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I found a used Sector111 MicroMirror (MY07+ Elise fitment) and gave it a shot, it certainly fits without issues. Hard to tell but I'd say the top of the mirror is a bit lower than stock, the bottom is higher. It is so much smaller than stock it is shocking. Not perfect for an Evora, could be a bit shorter and wider for ideal fit but it's much better than what I had. I'll need to relocate my camera to hide it behind the new mirror.

Interesting that Sector111 thinks it doesn't fit our cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first post. This mirror is not much smaller but I think better than the stock mirror and gives the car a unique look. Until I find a better alternative I will stick with this vs the stock one.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I fitted a Daihatsu somethingorother mirror to my else. Was a common swap and it was much smaller. Not sure whether it’d suit the Evora though.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts