The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum but am a long time owner of various Lotus models since 1976 and currently own an Esprit. A friend has become interested in sports cars and has become infatuated with Lotus cars, primarily the Elise/Exige models. He has very limited experience in motorsports and manual transmission cars (in other words can drive manual but not very good). Instead of jumping into an Exige and getting into trouble. I talked him into buying a 6 speed Miata which he will drive AutoX next driving season starting in the spring and sell it after the autox season ends. At that point I told him I will help him find a Lotus. He had been driving the Miata for a bit but but it is winter now and it is in storage, he needs a lot more driving experience. I have told him that even if he has $ that perhaps jumping into an Exige 260 right away might not be the best thing. That he should drive an n/a Elise first and it will feel like a rocket compared to what he is used too. He will be visiting the LA area around New Years for 5 days and has managed to book an Elise rental during his future stay. I have told him to behave with the Elise rental as with most Lotus cars there is the 1st year danger/ownership period where a high number of accidents occur when sorting out the limitations of driver and car. So is there a possibility that an experienced Elise/Exige driver can take him for a spirited drive in some twisties and demonstrate what the car is about during his visit to LA? Although my friend Todd will have an Elise rental and may have it when he meets up he should not follow an experienced driver into the twisties. I used to know Lotus people in the LA area but have lost touch with many of them such as Gordon Davis aka Gordonie I understand that he has a disability that prevents him from driving a Lotus. How sad is that. If anyone knows Gordonie and his condition PM me as many in my local Lotus community have known him for a long time.

Thanks,
Cal H

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I can take rookie Joe Schmoe to the canyons in my Exige. PM me.

San

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I will be around as well, but if he has an Elise rental, no ride in someone else's car will give him the thrill he will get on his own.

I am on Miata #9. The Elise is just a different type of car. Then again I have S2000 and MR2 in the garage, so I am not very normal.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I will be around as well, but if he has an Elise rental, no ride in someone else's car will give him the thrill he will get on his own.
I would politely disagree. My Exige is putting down 281 rwhp and is stupid light. I guarantee he won't get a similar thrill in an Elise (rental).

San

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I would politely disagree. My Exige is putting down 281 rwhp and is stupid light. I guarantee he won't get a similar thrill in an Elise (rental).

San
San I have been in the 600 HP Turbo Exige/Elise (the gray one ;)), and driving my own has a different thrill.

I guess some people love watching adult movies, some prefer taking part in the act

To each his own:bow::UK:

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I will be in touch with his contact and travel info.

For most of us driving is preferred rather than going for a ride and I'm sure Todd will enjoy his Elise rental. But my friend Todd is a bit different from the typical car person. He spent most of time working during his teens and 20's. He missed all the rites of passage and experience the typical car guy goes through. I really don't think he has been in a performance car before. Now he has time and cash to support a sports car hobby but really needs to learn to drive. I think he has less than 50 hrs in a manual transmission car and is unaware of the performance envelope of cars and what dynamics occurs during braking, acceleration, and cornering. He doesn't even talk like a car guy but is a willing student. A 600hp/balls out experience is not really necessary. The preference is a realistic above average spirited drive by an experienced Lotus driver with a brief question and answer session about the ownership experience. We would normally handle something like this ourselves in the local club but at this time it is winter with ice and snow. His current Miata is a good learner car and is forgiving. Power and speed amplifies things when it goes a little wrong. I want his future Lotus experience to be a good one and not end up as a salvage statistic.

Thanks again

Cal H

1 - 6 of 6 Posts