The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drove my new Evora S to Las Vegas for its first service and warranty work, unfortunately we have no Lotus dealer in Arizona. I thought it was a 200 mile trip but I was wrong, it was 256 miles but the ride was beautiful along the I 40 and crossing over the new bridge at Hoover Dam.

I had called ahead of time hoping they could get the parts I needed to repair my car and do the oil change all in the same day. They had told me they would have to remove the subwoofer amplifier and inspect it before they could order a new one, then it would be another trip a week later or leave the car for a week until the new amp comes in, I didn't want to do that!

I arrived at the dealership (Courtesy Lotus) after a 4 hour drive and leaving my house at 6am in the morning. I was greeted kindly by Jerry Rose the service manager and he quickly took the car to the garage to have the mechanic start working on it. I told him I had planned to drive back home that night and bring it back a week later if they had to order the amplifier, I also said they could leave the back seat out and assemble it again when the new amp came in. While they began to inspect the car, I visited the showroom to meet Myles Shultz the sales manager who I had spoken with a couple of months earlier while shopping for a Lotus. I would have bought a red Evora S he had in stock if it would have had the Tech package, but it didn't and I absolutely need to have a cruise control. ;)

I was dazzled when I walked into their showroom, there sat seven (7) Evora's of various colors, I had never seen more than two Evora's at one place before, and here were seven beautiful Evora's in one showroom. :crazyeyes A couple of "S" models (manual and IPS) and five NA Evora's with various transmissions. I was like a kid in a candy store and wanted ALL THE CANDY for myself! :D This car dealer was not like any other I had ever been in, it was gigantic but was filled with restored classic cars, at least 50 to 75 absolute pristine classics of all makes and models. The owner of the store is a collector and uses this enormous building to store and display his gorgeous collection which are For Sale if you have enough money. Believe it or not, his Lotus inventory is just a side business to be a franchise dealer for some new line of cars?!?!?!?! They also had some used cars out on the lot but even that is not the priority of this dealer, the storage and display of his classic cars is the priority. The owner is a multi-millionaire and owns several other dealerships as well as vacant lots for more dealerships to be built. To say the least, this was a very different experience for a car dealership.

Anyhow, after spending some time talking with Myles, I began to realize this dealership is not quite like any others I've ever been associated with and I worked for a Chevy dealer many years ago. This was like a car museum with some Lotus Evora's thrown in and a used car lot on the side. ;) While spending an hour in the showroom gazing at all those Evora's, the service manager came out and gave me some good news. The amp was bad as I already knew and he also pointed out a couple of other things that needed to be changed, the plastic pillar at the side of the windshield was showing a fracture line as many do because of the way they assemble them at the factory, they would reinstall a new one without the top screw that causes the fracture, they use a double sided tape that has proven to hold even at high speeds. I also needed a rear fender light that was burned out. He asked if I wouldn't mind staying over for one night as he was going to order all the parts I need from the parts house back east and they would ship them Fed Ex overnight, he also gave me a free loaner vehicle so I could get around town and find a hotel to stay at, unfortunately it wasn't one of those Evora loaners. :D This was a much better solution than having to bring the car back a week later and drive another 500 miles round trip! Well, the parts warehouse didn't have the LED light for the fender, so Jerry said no problem, he would take a light off one of those gorgeous Evora's on the showroom, then replace it when they get a new one in a few weeks, now that was unexpected! Strip a new car to fix my car, WOW! :clap:

I began to realize this place is really bending over backwards to help a customer who drove 250 miles to use their service department. By the way, they charge $125 for the first service which included the oil change and any updates to the ECU. The next day the parts arrived at 9am and the mechanic installed a new amp and my sub was now working, he replaced the plastic pillar and replaced my LED light that he took off a beautiful carbon gray Evora. :(

As the tech was fixing my car, I spent time talking with Jerry and discussing the outrageous prices some other dealers were charging Lotus owners to repair out-of-warranty Evora's, he was aware of the high prices. I then asked him how much he would charge to repair a blown clutch in an Evora? He sat down, figured out the labor and all new parts including a new flywheel (not a resurfaced), new clutch, new plate and new throw-out bearing. Total price $4595 COMPLETE! So, if any of you need a new clutch, it might be worth even shipping the car to Courtesy to have it done. The Lotus mechanic is not only an expert on all Lotus's, but works on everyone of those classic cars if they need any work at all, the guy is well trained on all kinds of cars and the millionaire owner keeps him around for that purpose.

So there you have it, I drove home with everything I needed fixed in two days. I had them address the one stalling issue I had and they gave several possibilities but until it happens again or the factory figures out what it can be, they can't fix what isn't happening until they can catch it in action themselves. :shrug:

I had driven my car pretty easy for the first 1000 miles, but now that the oil was changed and it was time to feel its potential, I had 250 miles of sheer excitement!!! :shift: I won't get into detail, but I will say that this car handles at high speeds like nothing I've ever driven before, including my C6 Z06 which got scary at high speeds if you happen to hit a bump in the road while turning. I love this car and I hope I've gotten most of the bugs out now so I can just enjoy driving it! :wave:

EFE EVS

Courtesy Lotus contact info:
6401 Centennial Center Blvd
Las Vegas, NV. 89149
Tel: 702-784-1111
Service Manager: Jerry Rose
Sales Manager: Myles Shultz

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
the plastic pillar at the side of the windshield was showing a fracture line as many do because of the way they assemble them at the factory, they would reinstall a new one without the top screw that causes the fracture, they use a double sided tape that has proven to hold even at high speeds
Good story, when owning a Lotus it really does come down to the quality of the shop and mechanics you can get to, particularly as dealerships are so scarce.

On the A-pillar, its such a common issue that its ridiculous. The A-pillar expands when the car stands in the sun, then contracts in cold conditions. Mine didn't crack, but loosened and started vibrating like crazy at high speeds. My mechanic glued it using the same glue used to fit the window. Double-sided tape has the problem of holding when aging.

Its also fair to say the dealers are now learning more about the car, removing the rear clam is no loner a first-time job, drastically reducing the time it takes to change the clutch.

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
It's with Service like that, that you don't so mind the long drive.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
This is not ground breaking. I had mine done under warranty, but upgraded to the s flywheel and clutch. Still came in under $5000.

People have just been rumor no getting for years now, and unfortunately a select few dealers do quote ridiculous prices

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is not ground breaking. I had mine done under warranty, but upgraded to the s flywheel and clutch. Still came in under $5000.

People have just been rumor no getting for years now, and unfortunately a select few dealers do quote ridiculous prices
According to some, they've been quoted $6k to $8k which is ridiculous. While at the dealership Jerry showed me a blown clutch that some owner blew when he accidentally down shifted his Evora into 2nd gear at over 100mph, they said the factory actually covered it under warranty, amazing! -eek-

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
According to some, they've been quoted $6k to $8k which is ridiculous. While at the dealership Jerry showed me a blown clutch that some owner blew when he accidentally down shifted his Evora into 2nd gear at over 100mph, they said the factory actually covered it under warranty, amazing! -eek-
They'll cover the clutch but not the blown engine

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I was personally quoted $8k from the Scottsdale dealership (hence that thread I made a year ago). At the time, I hadn't really heard of other quotes.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Isn't it a bit hard to shift to 2nd at 100 mph unless you really force it? I would have thought there'd be more resistance on the shifter.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Isn't it a bit hard to shift to 2nd at 100 mph unless you really force it? I would have thought there'd be more resistance on the shifter.
but you are thinking, i suspect there was little of that going on when it happened

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm assuming the guy probably thought he was downshifting from 5th to 4th and jammed it into second. Whatever, the clutch plate was nothing but burnt metal (no pads) and the clutch and flywheel were burnt blue in color. I was surprised to see how small the flywheel actually is, I asked Jerry if he knew of anybody making an aluminum flywheel for the Evora, he didn't know any company making one. If I ever had to change the clutch and could find a company that makes an aluminum flywheel, I'd definitely add one, it would add so much acceleration to this V6. ;)

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
... I asked Jerry if he knew of anybody making an aluminum flywheel for the Evora, he didn't know any company making one. If I ever had to change the clutch and could find a company that makes an aluminum flywheel, I'd definitely add one, it would add so much acceleration to this V6. ;)
Should be a few:

The Fidenza Aluminum flywheel only weights 9 LB. (1 lb less than Exige V6 FW, 3 lbs less than stock S FW, 8 lbs less than NA FW)

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=1187

Super lightweight aluminum flywheel with sports clutch - KOMO-TEC Online Claimed at 5.5 lbs??

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Julian, when weighed on a scale, the S is 11 pounds, the NA is 16, and the lightweight fidanza (I believe this is the same as VSA is selling) is 9 pounds (these are weights VSA recorded)

VSA hadn't run on any street cars, so couldn't comment on driveability.

Lotus wouldn't let me use non-OEM parts if they were footing the bill for the labor, so I went with the S flywheel.

Cutting 5 pounds off was a nice gain. It is a bit more fussy at low revs. See my post here

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/throttle-response-2010-evora-na-evora-s-clutch-flywheel-201313/

It is a worth while upgrade while you're in there. I would imagine while not as great a difference, the fidenza would be a nice upgrade for the S.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Anyone replacing their clutch should try to at least get the S (if for a warranty). If the quote is actually about $5000 for a replacement than maybe a lot of us will not be so fearful; still a good bit of money.

Seems that the Fidanza is a nice piece along with the Komo-tec. If the Komo-tec is really only 5.5 pounds then the car will really scream with a nice exhaust. Looks like the Komo-tec is about 2k for the set.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts