The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I noticed I need a new wiper. Asked the prior owner but it's the original he figures.
Where to buy/get ?
I'd be afraid to try out the Wiper mechanism without anew.
Scratches on the windshield.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
I've been using the Michelin Stealth. Most others don't hug the curvature well.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Thanks for responding.
Where the heck did you purchase?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Mike, I think my replacement is a Michelin as well. At any rate, I just went in to Canadian Tire with the old one and reasonably matched it up for length and fastening mechanism.

Stu

·
Super Moderator
4,037 Posts
He's got an 89 Esprit - the curvature is near zero (especially compared to an Elise).

Mike - the wiper blade should have a pin assembly - I got an off-the shelf 24" arm, but the aftermarket pin assembly was a bit loose. You may want to compare at a local auto store before going the Britain route.

You need the wiper arm/blade kit with the pin; not all have the pin. I bought a silicone bladed arm from Target (Bosch?).

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
I know this for sure if you want to do it because I have done it with all my cars to include my 72 Bug, and 07 FJ Cruiser.

I like Rain X wipers, they are expensive but if you can not find your size they are easily modified from a longer wiper.

All you have to do is take the wiper apart, there are end pieces that have a small notches on each of the wiper spine. Cut the spine to the length you want, use a dremel to cut new notches for the end pieces, cut the blade and alignment aluminum piece to length and put it all back together. All you will need is tin snips, a dremel and scissors.

I get a year out of rain X's but im happy with the performance. Im not an Esprit guy but find the size I need for my Exige and Elise without modification. If you have an off size just buy a bigger one and mod it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
if you buy a Bosch 19" wiper, it comes with the Shaft mount adapter. Basically, you pay about $10 for the adapter....then get the correct length Bosch wiper (24" IIRC). I added a small washer to the shaft to make it a snugger fit (less wobble.) It works perfectly.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
No you must get Lotus approved Z rated blades that continue to wipe clean at sustained higher road speeds we encounter. LOL

Just get a wiper from a quality manufacturer RainX, Trico, Bosch etc. I'll assume Canadian stores stock the correct seasonal compounds so just avoid the cheap harder ones that only work in summer if you plan on driving during the shoulder of the driving season. I get mine from any auto parts chain or Walmart. I assume you keep your car garaged so you need a dust cover too. Its not one of those expensive car covers. They sell a cheap breathable dust cover at Walmart for $20 something in USD. Its a Budge cover size #3. Says it right on the back of the box Lotus Esprit with wing so I don't know which one Atwell would use. I wouldn't use the cover outside it is just an indoor dust cover to keep the car dust free assuming you have a decent garage that does not leak water on the car

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
On the V-8 the blade is an odd size, it is not an even # of inches. You must buy a slightly longer refill and cut it shorter.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
197 Posts
I did what others did, after fruitlessly searching for wiper blades (here in the US) that had the "insertion pin" attached. I bought one shorter blade from NAPA that had a pin insert (note: there are different sizes of these "pins" listed on various wiper blade packages) and used that for the pin, and then bought a 24" wiper blade and used that. I regret I forget what size I chose, but it is a bit long/loose and thus will also need a tiny plastic or rubber washer to tighten up the wiper blade so it does not "jiggle".

Unfortunately, I realized too late** that the Lotus wiper blade seems to be like my '72 Grand Prix's blades: you don't actually change out the entire assembly, but instead you merely purchase the rubber strips that wipe the glass and remove old/install new (which is a similar operation as the Grand Prix blades don't come off the glass more than maybe two inches, unlike modern cars where the blades can be set to near-vertical).

Cheers,

Scott

**meaning I stupidly threw away the entire Lotus blade assembly. DOH!

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,092 Posts
^^ Yeah, I have always purchased just the rubber blades (24").

Make sure the width is the same, there are narrow ones and wide ones.

Good news is, the blade inserts seem to come in "two-packs" so you will be Set for years!:bow:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I got Trico cut-to-fit refills from Autozone and threw away all of the included mounting hardware (didn't like the 2-piece metal inserts, mine had a 1-piece slotted one that seemed sturdier). Took a good half hour of fiddling to get it on. Performance is OK but not outstanding.
I tried Rain-X blades on a Jeep I had...hated them...they made an incredibly loud juddery noise unless it was absolutely pouring buckets. I switched to the higher-end Bosch ones and was really happy with them. It may have been particular to the arm tension on the Jeep but I'd never bother with Rain-X again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts