The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
Im new to the Lotus Elise, but I'd like to buy a damaged Elise to repair, since it would come out a little cheaper.
Thing is I found this one , but since I've only seen some pictures of it and the germans usually dont really like to describe what wrong with, I;d like you guys to take look at it.

Fahrzeuge | Auto-Salon-Spandau-Unfallwagen

To me it looks like it needs a new front clamshell and wheelarches, and a new crashbox and anything in it ( I believe there a radiator and fan in it?)
I think it was in a frontal accident and the crashbox did what its supposed to do, without damaging anything else.
The chassis looks goods to me, although I havent seen and closeups of the suspension area, but do you have any idea if there could be a lot more wrong with this car than you can see?
THanks guys

·
Registered
856 Posts
OK... I'll help too...

It will NOT cost you less than buying an already fixed used one.

Not sure what you are going to get it for (in American $) but you will need to replace both front and rear clams (at $3000 USD each) plus prep/paint/install. the crash box is big $ and requires breaking the old one off and gluing the new one precisely in the right place.

You will need both light lenses and light assemblys (the lenses alone are about $600 USD each).

Radiator surround (approx $500 USD) Radiator. oil cooler/s.

Look, lets say you get this parts car for $10K, you need to put over $10K into it to make it road worthy. Spend $20,000+ on a clean car and be happy you didn't waste your time and money on this one.

Sounds like you are on the other side of the pond. There are TONS of Lotus Elises earlier than '05 (like this one). I am sure you can get one for less than you can rebuild this one for.

Good luck.

Dave

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
I'll get in line
:popcorn::popcorn:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I think it was in a frontal accident and the crashbox did what its supposed to do, without damaging anything else.
"without damaging anything else"...don't get your hopes up! Chassis damage is very likely, and even without that, the cost of replacing the damaged parts will really add up. Notice how the brake fluid reservoir is at an angle? No radiator. Etc. Don't buy this car to save money, it's not likely to happen. If anything, buy it for a fun project experience.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I like how they laid what is left of the front clam on the car to show what it used to look like...rotfl.
Walk away from this one...it looks bad.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
As everyone has said this is not worth it. While on the face of it it does look like it could be repaired (there is no obvious evidence of chassis damage, the wheels appear to be tracking straight, etc) you are looking at many thousands in parts alone then more for paint even if you do all the other work yourself. Once you pay £5k/€5.5k you are going to be looking at a finished cost of much more than £10k.

This identical car would be a much better buy at ~£11k with half the miles on the clock
Lotus : Lotus Elise S2 Touring (very low mileage)

And this car is ~£9k with similar miles...
Lotus : LOTUS ELISE S2

Forget the wreck :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your replys, but I want you to know that where Im from (Holland) cars are way more expensive than in other countries due to some kind of tax.
If you import a car, that tax will get less and less, depends on the cars age.
For example, price of the lotus elise in the us is approx 47000 USD (according to lotususa), in Holland, its starting at about 63000 USD.
So if I would import that car, and be able to find some reasonably priced used parts, dont you think it would work?
I had a quick look on ebay, a crashbox for about 1200 USD, front clamshell about 1700 USD, and I think the rear clamshell could be repaired?
And like MattG said, It would be as a fun experience.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Its hard to compare new car prices with used prices, and even harder with wrecked used prices.

5,490 Euros will buy you a starting point...but the problem is, how much more do you have to put into it? Also, does Dutch law allow importing of salvage titled cars? What hoops do you have to go through just to get it legal to drive it on the road? Good luck whichever way you decide. If you do buy it, keep us updated on progress and cost. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Thanks for your replys, but I want you to know that where Im from (Holland) cars are way more expensive than in other countries due to some kind of tax.
If you import a car, that tax will get less and less, depends on the cars age.
For example, price of the lotus elise in the us is approx 47000 USD (according to lotususa), in Holland, its starting at about 63000 USD.
So if I would import that car, and be able to find some reasonably priced used parts, dont you think it would work?
I had a quick look on ebay, a crashbox for about 1200 USD, front clamshell about 1700 USD, and I think the rear clamshell could be repaired?
And like MattG said, It would be as a fun experience.
A friend has just had his car repaired with less damage (front only) but including a new crash box (but not a new radiator) and he looked at many options to reduce costs but the parts bill still came to just under A$20k (€11k). A big problem with parts such as clams and crash structures is that although light they are very bulky to ship so you need to add a significant figure to those quotes for shipping.

Next issue is the one Mr Know raised - can you import the car from Germany? Also what is the market value of a 7 year old Elise in Holland?

It would be a great project (and fun/tough/rewarding!) but I don't see it as being a cost saving one :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also why are you thinking about importing a right hand drive car into Holland?
I know its adding more costs, but I would want to convert it to left hand drive then.

There not that many elises in Holland, but there is one 2002 elise which is about 27000 USD asking price, 5500 euros is about 7500 dollars.

Im beginning to get my doubts, Id probably be better off finding something else but they are quite rare.

Importing is not a problem I believe you will have to pay less tax on a damaged car (dont know how much though)

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
I know its adding more costs, but I would want to convert it to left hand drive then.
You are really starting to make more work for yourself here - why not find one in LHD (or keep it RHD)?

There not that many elises in Holland, but there is one 2002 elise which is about 27000 USD asking price, 5500 euros is about 7500 dollars.
So you are looking at a saving of ~€14k to buy the wreck. You might be able to fix it for that... but you would probably be better off to just get one that is undamaged. If cost is the biggest issue have you looked at earlier models - the S1 is essentially the same car as the wreck you are looking at but with a different body.

·
Registered
682 Posts
*throws next stone*

It looks like you need to keep shopping. There are plenty of rebuilt and less wrecked Lotii in LHD. If your primary goal is to save money, I think your best bet would be finding a used Elise with some milleage on it. Under ~10K miles.

If this is still too expensive, maybe you can find a rebuilt one with a history posted on this forum. Otherwise, fear the unknown:

"The last driver had his mirror and roof rip off, both clams had something dropped on them, and something else dropped on the roll bar. It was not involved in a roll-over".

You should be apprehensive about buying a rebuilt car, to which the parts are always pricey. If it doesn't have a history on the forums, and you aren't allowed to take it apart to look at what's broken, don't buy it.

Oh, and if you're interested, I could get you a 2007 Storm Ti Exige S. I was the previous owner. Non-smoker, minor wear to the floor mats, and a little bit of water damage.

It has a few other minor issues:last I remember, it was running very rich, it has a few gentle brush marks where it came into contact with some vegetation. It also has regular chassis and suspension wear, exasserbated by some brief contact with another vehicle, a high curb, a tree, more vegetation, the road surface, and another tree. Overall, it's a very safe car, although some of the impact foam is worn. As an added bonus, I believe the local fire department has donated fire proofing foam (in generous amounts) to the entire body and engine bay of the car, and removed the battery to avoid the risk of a fuel fire. I also have taken the liberty of detailing some of the suspension, transmission, differential, and assorted drive train components I found on the road, at no cost to you.

I'm not sure if it runs. rotfl

1 - 18 of 18 Posts