The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Need your advice and experience on the Carbotech pads versus Pagid RS14.

I use my Exige on the track and on the road so do require a certain amount of civility and ease of use and cleaning. I track the car at Sepang Circuit here in Malaysia which is quite hard on the brakes due to the two very long straights.

I used Pagids RS14 on my S1 Elise and they were good but recently bought a used 2010 Exige S 240 with the Ap brakes. The car has about 19000kms and the pads are nearly dead and am looking for a new set.

I have been researching and it seems the Carbotechs have been well received. Can you share any of your experiences with this brand and also the compounds e.g. XP8/10.

Advice is much appreciated. I am headed to the States next month so plan to bring back a bag full of parts.

Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
Carbotech Pads

I have one track day on XP10 pads on both ends of my Exige (AP 4-pot front calipers). The track (Grattan, Michigan), is a good test of brakes and I liked the Carbotechs better than the Pagid RS14s that the Carbotechs replaced -- better modulation and absolute stopping power.

As to the Carbotechs on the street, I don't have enough miles yet to offer a definitive review. So far, they appear to stop slightly better cold than Pagids on the street and to be noisier when warm (pad/disc temp, not ambient).

Perhaps Ryephile will chime in as he has run Carbotech Bobcat pads on the street.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I think I am pretty much decided to try the Carbotechs but was now thinking which one 10 or 12? If you dont mind me asking why did you choose the 10?

Also I was reading and some guys would actually use lesser grade pads like 8 for the rears. What are your thoughts on that?

On the street are the Carbo 10s noisy every time you apply the brakes or just when it is cold?

BTW, where is the best place to buy Carbos?

Thanks,
Reza

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Last year I ran xp 12 front and xp 10 rear and liked the setup but am using xp 12 front and rear now. Since we have the large rotor up front having xp12 in rear gives you more high speed stability in the rear. I have had decent wear but depending on track they can go quicker than other pads. I love the feel so I deal with the one track that eats them.

They do fine on the street...it's just the dust you have to deal with.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Honestly I think the carbotech xp would be annoying as hell if you drive them frequently on the street. Every car I have ever been in with xp squeals like crazy, not to mention the dust.

Fwiw the base material is the same between their street pads (bobcats) and race pads, so swapping out shouldn't be a big deal once the pads are bedded. I personally will be running carbotechs and just plan to run the bobcats on the street and swap to xp for track days.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Carbotech

Rails,

Chose XP10 because it is Carbotech's middle compound and I hoped it would do what I want on the track and also work decently on the street -- mostly a guess that seems to have been correct. As to using the same compound on both ends, I went that way because the brakes already are biased too much to the front on our cars and I did not want to make that worse by using a 12/10 or 10/8 F/R compound split.

Didn't get enough street usage last Fall before Winter storage to be able to answer your question on noise definitively, but they did not squeal 100% of the time. I bought the Carbotech pads from Sector 111 -- really did not shop around.

Bob L

·
Super Moderator
6,562 Posts
Rails,

Chose XP10 because it is Carbotech's middle compound and I hoped it would do what I want on the track and also work decently on the street -- mostly a guess that seems to have been correct. As to using the same compound on both ends, I went that way because the brakes already are biased too much to the front on our cars and I did not want to make that worse by using a 12/10 or 10/8 F/R compound split.

Didn't get enough street usage last Fall before Winter storage to be able to answer your question on noise definitively, but they did not squeal 100% of the time. I bought the Carbotech pads from Sector 111 -- really did not shop around.

Bob L
Curious why you didn't go with a 8/10 or 10/12 (F/R) setup.

San

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

San
Rails,

... As to using the same compound on both ends, I went that way because the brakes already are biased too much to the front on our cars and I did not want to make that worse by using a 12/10 or 10/8 F/R compound split.
I actually wondered this same thing, and chatted with spectre a bit about it in the past. I haven't yet ordered my track pads, but I am curious as to why everyone seems to run the higher torque stuff up front and not a balanced set. I was actually considering doing the same thing FormulaBob did, which was to just run xp10s all around (although on Elise brake setup).

·
Registered
399 Posts

San
Both combinations are on the list of possible experiments for this year. If one of these combinations worked, it would be a lot cheaper than a 4-piston upgrade at the rear + a bias adjuster.

Bob L

·
Registered
233 Posts
Formulabob, were you able to try the 8/10 setup this year? How did you like them?

I'm looking at using that setup possibly...although right now I'm leaning towards discnoir rotors and XP10's all all around. My 'street' miles consist of drives to the track/autoX and an occasional weekend ride...mostly "red-mist" stuff though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Spumoni,

To my great disgust, a couple of problems (not the Exige) kept me from getting any track time this year so no brake pad comparison testing from me yet. However, I must say that the Carbotech 10s are getting annoying for squeal on the street. Definitely will be getting the Bobcat compound for the street.

Bob L

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dang, no track time, that stinks. You mention you are using the 10's for street...how is the rotor wear? Are you concerned about mixing pad material on the rotor when switching to bobcat? My main hesitation for switching pads is bedding two materials on the same rotor...not sure if that is justified...any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Definitely bummed about no track time and hope to make up for it in 2013.

As to your questions:

1. No measurable wear on the rotors so far which is very good because when I switched from the Pagid 14s the rotors were resurfaced which took the ultra-expensive AP rotors almost to their minimum thickness limit. However, the pads are wearing very quickly. O.K. by me since the AP rotors are far more expensive than the Carbotech pads.

2. Valid concern about changing brake pad compounds without resurfacing the rotors. Although I haven't talked to Ryephile (Ryan) about his experience he reportedly does this with Carbotech Bobcat and race compounds. My personal experience with trying this with Performance Friction pads on a race car was mixed -- one no problem, one big problem. Hopefully, Ryan or someone else with pertinent experience will chime in on this. I believe it is doable with the Carbotech compounds with only a quick bed/burnish procedure -- it's on my January to do list to contact Carbotech about this.

Bob L

·
He's on fire!
3,086 Posts
Its also mentioned earlier in this thread, but you do not need to resurface the rotor if you are swapping between different carbotech pads. I regularly swap AX6 and XP pads and have never had an issue.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Its also mentioned earlier in this thread, but you do not need to resurface the rotor if you are swapping between different carbotech pads. I regularly swap AX6 and XP pads and have never had an issue.
I believe the ax6 pads are a metallic compound...switching between the two wouldn't (shouldn't) be an issue. I'm concerned about going from xp10 (metallic) to the bobcat (ceramic).

Do you notice a difference between the ax6s and xp10s?

·
He's on fire!
3,086 Posts
Sure you can notice a difference. I've never put AX6 on a road course so no comparisons there, but the xp takes some heat to feel like its working, where the ax6 work instant. I haven't measured stop distances, but driving the xp around town definitely requires harder application on the brake pedal to make the car do what I want... but I think there are a number of ppl that run them all the time. For me the brake pads are easy enough to swap out I don't mind running two different pads.

Also, as far as I know all Carbotech's brake compounds are ceramic:

Carbotech Performance Brakes: Frequently Asked Questions

1 - 16 of 16 Posts