The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

i'm looking to buy for a 2006 Elise with VF Stage 2, 30000km.

I'm a newbie to Lotus, so i'd like your advice to what i should know or look at when i'll buy this car?

All your advices would be appreciated...

Regards

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
RC has some really good suggestions, def get the inspection and ECU dump. Drive it and take notes of anything that you think is abnormal then post here and we'll let you know if it's normal or what's going on.

Good luck, owning a lotus is a really great experience. Remember there are hundreds of Elises out there, don't get emotionally attached to 1 car.

- Chris

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
Remember there are hundreds of Elises out there, don't get emotionally attached to 1 car.

- Chris
True, but since there is only a finite number of cars available and a small production number compared to other makes that are similar. The competition from demand has created an incline to higher prices and the better cars are getting gobbled up fast. You have to be able to strike quick at purchasing the one you want and the sellers are not as inclined to cater to you, as they have in the past. (unless he lives outside USA) Just an observation.....;)

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Do not restrict your search to a local area. I looked at every Elise in my local area. They were nice, but had higher mileage and they are higher priced in my area. I drove up to 3.5 hours one way looking at cars that came up for sale. I drove from Sacramento to Vegas to look at cars. Now I had made the decision of what features I wanted, prices that were reasonable, and made each trip a fun adventure with the wife to offset costs and make them fun trips. I started looking across the country. I made some offers that amounted to driving 3.5 hours offering full price before I left. I got there and he had accepted a lower offer the day before and was just trying to up the buyers offer. I made a couple full price offers based on inspection to find the cars not up to par or worth the price. Made a deal in the midwest and at the 11th hour got a pm from a member who had seen the car who passed on some major defects that were not disclosed. That night one came up all the way across the country in New England. I told him my experience and he gave me the dealers phone number and a high end performance shops number to verify condition. Long story short I got a low mileage car with everything I could ever ask for at a great price. Basically I got over $30,000.00 in upgrades installed professionally for free. I still email with the PO. Talking about upgrades make absolutely sure they are professionally and properly installed. Spend a couple hundred bucks by taking it to a local dealer for inspection and ECU dump BEFORE making an offer. There arecountless threads here on what to look for when looking to purchase. Just be patient and do your research before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok i just fixed up my lotus elise 06 . the whole front im new too lotus .

so i had a problem where it was overheating to 240 but my mechanic bleeded the air im not sure but now its staying aroung 180 190

but my problem is it lets me drive it great but out of no where the brake pedal gets hard and doesnt let me push the brakes like regular then it slowly stops letting me accelerate . so i usually pull over on the road and turn it off and then on . but this is a problem i cant be driving like that .

does any one know why its doing that ? please help any help is good thank you

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advices guys, i appreciated.

Is there a lot of maintenance with the VF2?
Loose bolts... etc...

My mecano asked me about the motor, is it a 2ZZ-GE?
He asked me about the crank, stroke, etc...
Anyone could give me some informations about that cause 90hp more on a motor i guess there is some parts that take a blast...?

Finally, there is a law here (Quebec Canada) that a car with more than 10 years have to pass through an inspection, will the SF2 pass the test you think??

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts