The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace some of the older clear bra/wrap to something better! Anybody have any suggestions? Or anybody that does this? Located in socal.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Looking to replace some of the older clear bra/wrap to something better! Anybody have any suggestions? Or anybody that does this? Located in socal.
Crystal Autoshield, Norbert Ibarra, 877-707-4435. He's done my GT-R, C7 Z51, Tacoma Sport 4X4, S1000RR, R1M and Ducati V4S (head to toe). Yeah, he does outstanding work He's not just my clear bra guy, he's truly a friend now.

San

·
Vendor
1,262 Posts
Highly recommend Xpel Ultimate +.
We are replacing the full bra on our new 400 with it. Great material with a 5yr warranty if I remember correctly.

·
7,594 Posts
I'm using the Suntek Ultra (10 year limited warranty), but Norbert carries the XPEL and anything else you want. He will install whatever you prefer, but I'd listen to him as he's done hundreds of really high-end cars, way beyond my pay grade. When he did my Ducati, there were no patterns, because it was too new. He did it for free just to make the template. I pulled out my wallet and he started to protest, but I insisted on leaving a tip. Check out his Yelp reviews.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/crystal-autoshield-long-beach-4

San

·
Registered
564 Posts
Xpel Ultimate +

·
7,594 Posts
Any idea how much applying one of these solutions to leading edge surfaces would cost?
It really depends on the installer and how many areas they're going to do.

My Tacoma "just" has the leading edges (bumper, mirrors, grille, foglights and headlights) and not the hood and fenders. The shield (SunTek) is so tough the grille has a hairline crack I found a few months ago when I was detailing it, but the shield isn't even marred. I've had the truck for three years and I don't know when it cracked. I doubt anyone else would ever find it.

The GT-R has the whole front end, hood and fenders done. Some of the areas don't have templates available so it was custom cut. This also included all the hood and fender vents pulled to tuck the film in properly. I had the same thing done with my C7 Z51, but it only took a day. The GT-R took almost 2 days. $1575, which is quite cheap considering how much more time, effort and areas were done.

The first vehicle I had my installer do, was the C7 Z51. I dropped it off early and got there around 1800 or later. I remember seeing him working on it and I thought "this Mother F'er" isn't done! I got up close and still thought it wasn't finished. Even under all the flourescent lights I couldn't see a trace of it being complete. I said "I guess the best compliment I can give is that I can't see it".

This film is self-healing, so sitting in the sun "fixes" it. My installer took a wire brush to an old piece of the film wrapped around a hard surface. He said "imagine this is your paint" and then took the wire brush to it hard. It was seriously scratched. He pulled out a heat gun and warmed it up for less than 10 seconds. I couldn't see any evidence of the wire brush abuse. Cool stuff. Some of you know where this technology came from. Military helicopter rotors in Vietnam.

San

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Xpel vs. Suntek vs. whatever doesn't matter that much, even though there are differences between them. Quality of the installer trumps and use what they like.

What part of SoCal are you located in? I just used CE Detail in SD to replace my 10+ year old factory "Starshield".

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I use suntek on my "expensive" cars and have 3M on my DD. I like the suntek because it has historically been more optically correct. Xpel has had issues; perhaps their new stuff is better (they were sued by 3M for patent infringement and had to come out with a new film).

I typically do the entire front end of the car (nose, hood, right and left panels, under the doors and behind the rear wheels. For my GT3 Touring it was $2,450 which included the carbon door sills. I will say my guy is one of the top in the country and you pay for it...

By contrast I paid $600 to do 1/2 the front for my wife's Macan with an average guy; don't know what film he put on...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
anyone use 3M Scotchguard Pro? on youtube comparisons it says they have a rock chip warranty that they'll pay up to 3k for repair.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
went ahead and got the Xpel Ultimate plus, as the shop only carries that and is certified on the xpel website. Went to Clearpro in temecula, and they did an amazing job! Price wasn't bad either!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
That's what is on my Elise the 2nd time around. I've been happy with it, so I recently had it applied to my BMW front bumper and mirrors to replace old film that had yellowed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts