The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Updated-Need Advice on an accident

##################################################################################################

OK So i FINALLY took delivery of my brand new '08 Elise.

Norm Baker honored the price that they were going to sell me the '07 for.

As insane and ridiculous as this experience has been I am so happy with my new car none of it matters anymore.

So i have many people to thank for working hard to make me an extremely happy new lotus customer.

Abe Thank you so much! I would not have made it to this point without your help.

Serebo1 Thanks you for putting me in touch with the right people, and for the moral support.

Tim, Allen and Mandi From norm Baker thanks for turning this into a win for everyone.

Finally Pat and Kirk from Lotus NE, Thank you so much for putting up with me! Enjoy the Beer.

And to everyone on the forum who helped out with advice you are all amazing.

Now i am going to go drive my car some more :shift:

#####################################################################################################

So i just signed all the papers made the downpayment and was about to drive away in my new lotus. Unfortunately before i had a chance to get in one of the salesmen was going over the basics, when he turned the engine on with it in gear, the car jumped back hit me and the car behind it. The driver side door hinge was bent and there were a couple minor scratches on the back clam. I seem to be ok...

The dealership was really nice, they have put us up for another night in our hotel. They are repairing the damage right now.

What would you guys do in this situation? This is the first new car i have ever bought and the first time obviously anything like this has ever happened to me so i am kind of flying blind here.

Need some advice please!!!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
So i just signed all the papers made the downpayment and was about to drive away in my new lotus. Unfortunately before i had a chance to get in one of the salesmen was going over the basics, when he turned the engine on with it in gear, the car jumped back hit me and the car behind it. The driver side door hinge was bent and there were a couple minor scratches on the back clam. I seem to be ok...

The dealership was really nice, they have put us up for another night in our hotel. They are repairing the damage right now.

What would you guys do in this situation? This is the first new car i have ever bought and the first time obviously anything like this has ever happened to me so i am kind of flying blind here.

You have a PM

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I wouldn't buy it, demand a different car.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would ask for a new car. If I had bougth it brand new and it got damaged thats the dealers fault.

I would demand a new undamaged car. It would not feel rigth to have my new car repaired before I got it.

I guess I could get over it if it was only the hinge and nothing else was scratched or bent.

Was the clam just scratched or did the fiberglass break? In that case they need to get a new clam.

Tough decision but I would ask for a new car.

Sorry for your rough start as a Lotus owner, you will love the car when you get it.

:shift:

·
Registered
417 Posts
:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

DON'T BUY IT...........IN MINNESOTA IF YOU HAVEN'T DRIVEN OFF THE LOT YOU DON'T OWN IT.

IT'S YOUR 1st NEW CAR............YOU WILL NEVER FORGET THAT HAS HAPPENED IF YOU TAKE THE CAR...............

GO WITH YOUR GUT FEELING..................I CAN'T SEE THEM FORCING YOU INTO TAKING IT..........BUT I CAN SEE THEM "TALKING YOU INTO IT".

MY 0.02

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
This is something that could bite you in the ass later on. Be patient, wait on another car!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well, in principal, I would agree with everyone else and try to get a different one ... if you can.

However, FWIW, I had the exact same thing happen to me several years ago. Salesmen was going over basics in a vehicle and broke something. We did NOT demand a different car as that was the only one available with the options we wanted. We took a different one home for the night and they delivered it to us the next day. We had that car for nearly 200,000 miles with minimal issues.

If you think the damage is minimal and they've repaired it properly, I'd negotiate for something else, i.e. an extended warranty, free maintenance for a period of time, first set of spare tires free, etc.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My understanding is that this dealership is a good one and will do what it takes to keep you satisfied.

Best thing to do is to keep an open channel with them and from the information I've gathered in your comments and what they are doing, the damage might not be all that bad. Please keep us posted and one more thing, "You're in Vegas! Enjoy it on their dime!" :coolnana:

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
forrestrunningtojonathan.jpg

Get a new car, unless you get free service for the life of the vehicle.

Edit after reading kingjester's post below: If you had walked into the dealership, found this car and the salesman said, "hey this car got _insert your story here_ but was repaired to X quality that you see before you" and you would still by the car with _insert your stipulations here_, then buy that car. Otherwise, I wouldn't.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Personally, if the damage wasn't anything that couldn't be fixed, I'd use this as an opportunity to negotiate some money back on the price. I'd basically tell them that you aren't taking this car unless you receive some sort of compensation.

Dont simply let them repair it and drive away, you'll regret that. Now's your chance to get something in return for their mistake.

·
Registered
440 Posts

WOW. That IS a story for a lifetime. First things first: make sure you're ok---some injuries take a couple hours to become apparent.
Second,
Take plenty of time to look the car over tomorrow--do it without pressure or even presence of the dealer---I've heard good things about them (and we both already know the practicality/possibility of finding an exact replacement), and then politely ask for a price adjustment---even if it's all cleaned up --- damage to the car AND you ...for chrissakes, they are lucky you're not suing. Also---don't rush out of there, and if the delay cost you time/money for plans you made on the return trip, factor that in.

You crossed the country to get a new car. If you wanted to get assaulted and run over, you could have gone to NewYork :-0 (or even found an approp corner in Boston;-o).
Be polite...but do not 'go along'....a simple question to the GM ...not the salesman: "what are we going to do to make this SITUATION (not just the car) RIGHT??

Best of luck.
john

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As of now i am waiting to hear back from them, when i left they had not even looked at the car so no one really knows what is wrong with it, just thinking about how that door looked though makes me sick... Seems like the consensus is get a new car though so we will see what they offer. I will keep everyone up to date on what happens as soon as i know more. But i do want to say that so far they have done everything they could to help us out, it was an accident and these things happen.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Damn it sucks but accidents do happen. Once its figured out and youre behind the seat of a lotus (this car or another), it will ALL be worth it :D

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
As of now i am waiting to hear back from them, when i left they had not even looked at the car so no one really knows what is wrong with it, just thinking about how that door looked though makes me sick... Seems like the consensus is get a new car though so we will see what they offer. I will keep everyone up to date on what happens as soon as i know more. But i do want to say that so far they have done everything they could to help us out, it was an accident and these things happen.

Yes, accidents happen. Those responsible should take responsibility. Keep in mind that some otherwise minor incidents have left irreparable damage to the Lotus' aluminum chassis.

If the door looks as bad as you say, I'd be very wary of any assurances that the damage is minor.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts