The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are so many choices for a HD ready head unit that plays CD's that's it difficult to make a choice. I want to upgrade the stock Blaupunct unit and not break the bank. So could someone let me know what they choose for their Elise? Mine is a 2006 Krypton Green and I don't think anyone makes a sterio that color!

So let me know what you think. I'll probably replace the speakers too and suggestions are appreciated.

Paul

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No One?

There are so many choices for a HD ready head unit that plays CD's that's it difficult to make a choice. I want to upgrade the stock Blaupunct unit and not break the bank. So could someone let me know what they choose for their Elise? Mine is a 2006 Krypton Green and I don't think anyone makes a sterio that color!

So let me know what you think. I'll probably replace the speakers too and suggestions are appreciated.

Paul
So, no one has done any research and replaced the sterio?

Paul

·
Registered
139 Posts
Although at $800 it doesn't really fit the requirement of not breaking the bank, I replaced my head unit with the JVC KD-NX5000 all in one box. There are lots of other reviews here, but here is my $.02:

+ Navigation is functional
+ Has dead reckoning for when you can't get a GPS lock
+ Plays CDs/MP3 CDs/DVDs/Radio/MP3s from HDD
+ Optional Bluetooth, Sirius, XM, iPod, Backup camera
+ Fits the style of the lotus dash well
+ No need to turn on your wipers because of motorized screen

- MP3 import from CD to HDD is huge PITA
- MP3 HDD navigation sucks
- Can't see display in direct sunlight (with top off)
- Difficult to enter navigation destination
- Confusing controls until you get used to it
- Display reflects in rear window, *highly* visible through rear view mirror

? Sound quality, without better speakers, I can't speak about how it sounds
? Long term durability. The internal HDD might die because of the stiff suspension.

JVC Mobile Entertainment EXAD Navigation System - KD-NX5000

·
Registered
705 Posts
He wanted HD ready. KD-NX5000 doesn't work (I wish it did).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is there anything comprable to the KD-NX5000 that has the video, and nav capabilities? Also, is the NX5000 accept inputs for a backup camera or aux (like game console [not that I ever would] < just thinking about resale if it doesn't work out or I prefer a new one) Is the novelty really worth the $700?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I'll go to Fry's and see what they recommend.

I thought more people would want to do this.

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts