The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I recently failed track inspection for upcoming event in two weeks. I finally got off the road and new rod ends installed per the tech inspectors but still have movement when the wheel is grabbed at 3 and 9 o'clock and rocked. I did find a loose caliper bolt and loctited and torqued that but still have play. I have alignment scheduled and am going to try string alignment tomorrow but don't have a high degree of confidence that will solve the clicking. I uploaded video so you can see what is happening. Any suggestions? I suspect wheel bearings but that wheel isn't making any unusual noises. Need help with track day rapidly approaching I'm down to the wire tomorrow for ordering parts to get here on time.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Problem has nothing to do with brakes, calipers, etc. Alignment, nope.

This is a classic example of worn wheel bearing.

·
Administrator
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gilbert you confirmed my suspicions. I have email in already to seriouslylotus to confirm if they have in stock before ordering. They're on sale at least.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
the brake line is moving, so it's not the wheel bearing.
you need a higher rez video.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
caliper is attached to the hub, and the entire hub is moving. It's one of the ball joints.

·
Administrator
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a better video. If it was the ball joints wouldn't I be able to feel movement in them? I don't when I get my hand around them but that's not to say there isn't movement. While I've reduced the movement with adjusting the toe link it's still not right.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Check the jam nuts also

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
looks like lower ball joint to me since you can see the arm to the toe link and the toe link moving together.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
check the inner toe rod ball joint area, not the hub area. Seems the entire toe link rod is moving also.

·
Administrator
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All All four rod ends were replaced and I initially just counted threads for rough setting and it was very loose at that point. The brace is custom but very similar to Sector 111 RTD brace so inside isn't moving but outside does move with hub. Left rear was loose but not as bad before replacing the rod ends but the right side never tightened up. I looked thru my assortment of ball joints from PO and didn't care for what I found so I may end up ordering ball joints and hubs for both sides just to CYA. I had planned a suspension refresh over the winter but not right now. If I end up not using it will be part of m lotus parts center that PO had.

·
Administrator
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Need additional advice! I received my new hub and installed it without removing driveshaft and did string alignment yesterday. Went to test drive and load on trailer for shop alignment and had immediate binding sound so after pushing back to garage and removing wheel and brakes I find that the driveshaft if binding in one spot per revolution. I was careful not to pull on driveshaft when using puller and impact gun to remove it was on there good but it could have backed out 1/4-3/8". Any suggestions as where to start? I can't imagine the new hub assembly being bad so what could I have done to the drive shaft to cause the binding? The driveshaft cotter pin hole is lining up correctly on the castle nut.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Well the problem wasn't your hub in the first place, so whatever was wrong is still wrong.

2nd I am not sure what you did either, is the axle all the way into the hub? Look on the back, IIRC its fairly obvious if it is or not. Did you put the spacer back in that goes under the nut?

·
Administrator
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Kevin you are correct on the hub not changing the 3 to 9 o'clock clicking and movement. So far replacing the rod ends and getting the string alignment close corrected it the most and it's a fraction of what it was. I have ball joints to be replaced as well but wanted advice from TrackWerks first. Well close inspection just now of the driveshaft revealed the problem. It was the nut behind the wheel.....or more specifically the socket aarrgghh must have popped off during torquing.

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update, It appears that the minor amount of movement that I have is acceptable and that replacing the rod ends and alignment took care of the issue and I was worried about nothing. My string alignment was spot on on one side and off by 1/32" on the other so I feel much more confident with aligning. I came up with a way using channel iron connected to the allthread on the ends of the car to make it even more accurate. After the new year once I get splitter and diffuser on and get more seat time in I will do corner balance and alignment again. The front camber isn't quite where I want it and they'll hit that as well but with a 20kt crosswind the car is now stable where before it would have been all over the road. Side note there were three Lotus at Racewerks at 0900 they really get Lotus in much less three at once. It was great meeting other new Lotus owners!

Reactions: SS Lotus Elise
1 - 16 of 16 Posts