The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the brake/clutch fluid today for Motul RBF600. As reported the old stiff was like cola.....what a difference in brake feel!
I would like to change the transmission fluid. Does anyone have a step by step (video/ pictures) of how to do that?

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Mileage?? Track use??

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mileage?? Track use??
22000 miles. No track use, it's my DD and I have the close ratio box. With all that I read on the forum I decided to change all fluids. Brake/clutch fluid done. It's just that I am not familiar with this tranny and want to make sure I do things right, hence asking for a video/picture step by step

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Simple enough just find your filler point first to make sure you don't need special hoses etc.

Brake fluid I understand but at 22000 tranny fluids not needed IMHO. Going with ??Royal purple or Motul I gather?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simple enough just find your filler point first to make sure you don't need special hoses etc.

Brake fluid I understand but at 22000 tranny fluids not needed IMHO. Going with ??Royal purple or Motul I gather?

Was interested in this post by a member in a previous thread about the state of the tranny fluid. Also others. Reported smoother gear shifts after changing out the fluid

Evora high perf fluid swaps
"Just had the tranny fluid swapped out with Redline MT90 75w90 GL-4 fluid at Hari's today. Definitely feels much better. BTW, Hari mentioned that the factory stuff that came out looked like ****. he said it looked all broken down and almost "watery". I'd encourage all Evora owners to do this. It was the best $120 I've spent on the car to date."

·
Registered
163 Posts
I changed the brake/clutch fluid today for Motul RBF600. As reported the old stiff was like cola.....what a difference in brake feel!
I would like to change the transmission fluid. Does anyone have a step by step (video/ pictures) of how to do that?
Just changed mine today :
I went with the Redline MT 90 ( as listed elsewhere in this thread)
2011 Evora, 20k miles.
Drain plug - 24 mm on lower part of 'crown' of transmission
Fill plug also 24mm 1/2 way up on driver's side of same unit ( if drain is at 6:00 - fill is at 9:00 when looking from back towards front. Fill plug looks like drain plug and has a notation on it " read manual before filling")
I drove car to warm up tranny and engine oil - changed this too. Raise Lotus , remove rear under tray. Remove fill plug ( to vent ) some oil escaped with pressure release - a tad messy.
Place catch basin, remove drain plug and drain. Clean drain plug and replace.
I purchased a cheap gear oil pump from Autozone , with a simple hose to introduce the lube into fill opening. The Evora manual says 2.3 liter , I added 2.5 quarts - until oil began to escape the fill opening. It did take 2.5 qts to begin dripping out - means it is level full.
Immediately shifts are 25% cleaner and there is a pleasing and positive click - clack that was lacking before.
By the way the old oil appeared to have good viscosity and not too dirty ( for gear oil) so you could say it may not have been needed - but tranny shifts much more nicely and I feel better about the service.
I considered taking pics but this can be messy and no place for an IPhone.
Redline must be the slipperiest, slimiest stuff I have ever played with.
This is pretty simple service. Good luck!

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
Was interested in this post by a member in a previous thread about the state of the tranny fluid. Also others. Reported smoother gear shifts after changing out the fluid

Evora high perf fluid swaps
"Just had the tranny fluid swapped out with Redline MT90 75w90 GL-4 fluid at Hari's today. Definitely feels much better. BTW, Hari mentioned that the factory stuff that came out looked like ****. he said it looked all broken down and almost "watery". I'd encourage all Evora owners to do this. It was the best $120 I've spent on the car to date."
How many miles was on the ****.

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
2011 Evora, 20k miles.
Fill plug also 24mm 1/2 way up on driver's side of same unit ( if drain is at 6:00 - fill is at 9:00 when looking from back towards front. Fill plug looks like drain plug and has a notation on it " read manual before filling")
I drove car to warm up tranny and engine oil - changed this too. Raise Lotus , remove rear under tray. Remove fill plug ( to vent ) some oil escaped with pressure release - a tad messy.
I purchased a cheap gear oil pump from Autozone , with a simple hose to introduce the lube into fill opening. The Evora manual says 2.3 liter , I added 2.5 quarts - until oil began to escape the fill opening. It did take 2.5 qts to begin dripping out - means it is level full.
Immediately shifts are 25% cleaner and there is a pleasing and positive click - clack that was lacking before.
By the way the old oil appeared to have good viscosity and not too dirty ( for gear oil) so you could say it may not have been needed - but tranny shifts much more nicely and I feel better about the service.
Good write up, thanks.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I just realized this was a quote from something I posted in another thread.

I changed the tranny fluid at about 30K and the mechanic that did it said it looked pretty broken down when it came out. The car felt materially better as soon as I drove off.

I personally highly recommend the fluid change regardless of the mileage. I should clarify, that i do a lot of hwy driving and average 80 miles a day, 5 days a week. So, changing fluids more than recommended is pretty much the norm for me (oil every 5k, brake/clutch every 20K, tranny every 30K, coolant every 50k)

How many miles was on the ****.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2011 Evora, 20k miles.

This is the confirmation that I was looking for. I had been under there and saw the plugs, just wanted to have someone confirm. Great job thanks very much

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2011 Evora, 20k miles.

Changed the tranny fluid today. Many thanks for the above step by step, it was pretty simple. My old fluid was not in bad shape (rather it didn't look too bad) but, like you I do think the gear shift is much smoother. Thanks again

·
Registered
163 Posts
Changed the tranny fluid today. Many thanks for the above step by step, it was pretty simple. My old fluid was not in bad shape (rather it didn't look too bad) but, like you I do think the gear shift is much smoother. Thanks again
Glad it worked out for you! Just had my car at VIR for the weekend and had much improved shifting through 2 days of very hard track work - operation was very smooth. :clap:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just performed the fluid swap with redline MT-90 oil. Other than requiring a pump to add the new fluid, it was very easy and could be done in 30 minutes or so. Old oil at 6000 miles was pretty dirty with lots of metallic particles. Well worth changing. As far as improvements go, the tranny is much quieter now, with a lot less of the gear lash noise which is prevalent with these transmissions at lower rpms in the first 4 gears. Shifting is also improved and downshifting is definitely better than it was. After I get a few miles on it I will report back more. For those waiting to perform this because they don't think the low mileage warrants it, just do it. You will be happy that you did.
Neil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts