The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i need a bit of opinionated advice. I live in shreveport, la and i'm # 38 at a dealership in texas, so the closest dealer is 3 hours away. I will be using my elise as a mostly daily driver, but will have a decent little truck to drive in bad weather, ect. I am going nuts worrying about 1) the reliability of the lotus and how i will get it fixed and towed 2) where i will get body repair work since noone around here even knows what a lotus is (fiberglass repair) . Along side of this i drove by the Porsche dealership the other day which is about 15min from my house and they had a sweet 2002 911 c2 i had to stop and look at. Turns out it only had 5900 miles on it, seal grey, aluminum interior kit, and i could get it for 55,000 which is 4,000 below trade in value in the books!! I need some inputs on what ya'll would do in my shoes. I really want the lotus, but the distance from dealers and repair work scares the S*&t out of me. What to do?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm in the same position you are. My dealer is 3 hrs. away and no one around does fiberglass. But I'm sticking w/ the Elise. You see 911s all over the place and the Elise out performs and, I think, looks way better. The Elise is cheaper too. Also, I'm spot #39 at my dealer.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
To me, your decision should depend on how much you love the Elise. It WILL have problems, your dealer WILL give you TADTS responses, and the ownership experience will NOT be like owning a Lexus or Porsche.

Ownership will be more difficult and frustrating than other "regular" cars. IMO you need to determine if the Elise experience will be worth the hassles that you will inevitably have with the car.

The Carrera to me is not better or worse, it's just different and not what I really want. In the end, only you can decide what is best for you. I'd get the Elise though. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I guess it depends on how much faith you have in the reliability of the Elise! Obviously with the Porsche dealership so close it is going to be much more convenient.

And Lotus is proving to all of us right now that customer service is something they don't care about. They have had weeks to stop the bleeding and avoid this backlash regarding timely info and they can't seem to get it together. They are concerned with who should say what/lawyers, etc. We are told they are working on it and they realize they have this problem, yet weeks go by and nothing has changed. They can't rectify the situation because in my opinion they are inept. They can't fix it because they don't know how and don't have the right people in place that do know how.

We all know that the Elise is going to be a fun little car. But if you are looking for a little bit more than just that - a car that has performance, a company that gives customer service, the total package, take a test drive in that Porsche!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did test drive it, and its badass! No, won't turn heads like the lotus will, but it still runs a 0-60 in 5.0s. I know i want the lotus, but i don't want to resent it after having trouble with it all the time. What good is a car, lotus or not, if you can't get minor repair work done on it. And another thing, people say you can do your own oil changes, IF you dont jack at the wrong jack points, take the undertray off, and have access to all of these things. I don't know if i can trust the places around here to do an oil change on the car even if i'm there with them. I just graduated from Rx school and i don't want my dream car to end up being a 40,000 dollar headache, but i do know the way i reacted when i first sat in that euro elise sold me on the car.

·
Registered
224 Posts
ulmpharmd:
I have always appreciated unique and unusual things that are difficult to come by. I've once flown half way across Europe to pick up a watch not available in the U.S.
My understanding is that the Lotus Elise will be a very limited production vehicle. Having been to Louisiana recently, I can almost assure you that you will be the only one driving the Elise.
In addition to its rarity, just keep in mind that all of the automobile review authorities cannot all be wrong. I have yet to read a negative review of the car.
Please note that I am not knocking Porsche in any way. I believe them to be fine machines. However, as pointed out above, you see them quite often. And despite how great this deal is, I am a firm believer that you can always pick up a Porsche. There are plenty of them in the used market.
Hold out and wait for the Elise.
Good luck with your decision.
- dechien

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What will be my best way of getting the lotus back to the dealer for repair work. I know that lotus is offering a roadside asst package with the elise, but will they just sub out some retarded tow company (you would not believe what we have in La in some areas) to come out and rip the front of my elise off? These are the situations that keep me up at night.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The best way if it's not drivable is to tow it on a flat bed. Most towing co. have flat beds with wheel straps. My experience is that you usually have too tell them that's what you want.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
since your in the same position, as far as distance from a dealer, what are you going to do about oil changes, alignments, ect. Aaron

GMorel1916 said:
The best way if it's not drivable is to tow it on a flat bed. Most towing co. have flat beds with wheel straps. My experience is that you usually have too tell them that's what you want.

·
Registered
186 Posts
ulmpharmd said:
Along side of this i drove by the Porsche dealership the other day which is about 15min from my house and they had a sweet 2002 911 c2 i had to stop and look at. Turns out it only had 5900 miles on it, seal grey, aluminum interior kit, and i could get it for 55,000 which is 4,000 below trade in value in the books!! I need some inputs on what ya'll would do in my shoes. I really want the lotus, but the distance from dealers and repair work scares the S*&t out of me. What to do?
You're going to see a lot of 996's for sale and at very low prices. Why? Because the 997 is coming out and it's way better. Why? Cuz it looks like the 993 which is still the BEST looking 911 ever. I almost bought a 993 instead of the Elise. I still love that car. BUT when it costs just as much as a new Elise it became a no brainer. Besides I like the Elise more actually. I personally wouldn't get a 996. Don't like the styling. But if you decide to go that route remember that getting INto a car is far easier than keeping one of that stature. Porsche's are hella expensive upkeep. The 996 early years had lots of problems since they switched to the water cooled engines. Of course Lotus isn't exactly known for it's reliability, the Elise is the equivalent of the Boxster in terms of $$$ and upkeep. The 911 is more like an Esprit, maybe even higher in the $$$.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Buy the 911.
When your Elise comes in you can trade in the Porsche for the Lotus. Since you're #38, that will likely be early next year, and you get 6 months of 911 ownership for very little money. Plus, you get to hear about the early owners' problems and joys, and you can always make up your mind then.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: Need Advice!!

Now this is the type of info that i need. This puts the cars on level playing ground. I see your point, there is no way i will ever spend enough to buy a new 911, so i will lose that stature that comes with the car when the new body comes out, and i have heard of the maintenance being outrageously expensive. Thanks for the input.

amcmahon said:
You're going to see a lot of 996's for sale and at very low prices. Why? Because the 997 is coming out and it's way better. Why? Cuz it looks like the 993 which is still the BEST looking 911 ever. I almost bought a 993 instead of the Elise. I still love that car. BUT when it costs just as much as a new Elise it became a no brainer. Besides I like the Elise more actually. I personally wouldn't get a 996. Don't like the styling. But if you decide to go that route remember that getting INto a car is far easier than keeping one of that stature. Porsche's are hella expensive upkeep. The 996 early years had lots of problems since they switched to the water cooled engines. Of course Lotus isn't exactly known for it's reliability, the Elise is the equivalent of the Boxster in terms of $$$ and upkeep. The 911 is more like an Esprit, maybe even higher in the $$$.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I'm two hours and a bit away from my dealer. The between servicing oil changes I'll do myself, friend has a rotary lift in his garage. Official services will all be done by a dealer. If the car breaks down and not driveable will get a towing company with a flatbed. I don't see much happening to make the car not driveable but always a possibility, in any event really not too worried as I've got my duc to fall back on
Chris

·
Registered
426 Posts
ulmpharmd said:
Hey guys i need a bit of opinionated advice. I live in shreveport, la and i'm # 38 at a dealership in texas, so the closest dealer is 3 hours away. I will be using my elise as a mostly daily driver, but will have a decent little truck to drive in bad weather, ect. I am going nuts worrying about 1) the reliability of the lotus and how i will get it fixed and towed 2) where i will get body repair work since noone around here even knows what a lotus is (fiberglass repair) . Along side of this i drove by the Porsche dealership the other day which is about 15min from my house and they had a sweet 2002 911 c2 i had to stop and look at. Turns out it only had 5900 miles on it, seal grey, aluminum interior kit, and i could get it for 55,000 which is 4,000 below trade in value in the books!! I need some inputs on what ya'll would do in my shoes. I really want the lotus, but the distance from dealers and repair work scares the S*&t out of me. What to do?
If you buy the Lotus and don't like it, sell it and buy the Porsche. It's not really a complicated problem. A lot of the things you are worried about (like the incompetence of people at a lube place) are going to be an issue if you drive the Porsche too.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
meat said:
This issue of fiberglass repair - what do the Corvette guys in your area do??
It's been my experience that "Corvette Fiberglass" guys shouldn't work on Lotus. The Corvette tends to have thick, heavy fiberglass, whereas a Lotus tends to have thinner, lighter 'glass.

In theory, they are similar. In practice, it takes someone who knows what they are dong to repair a Lotus properly.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes i'm a pharmacist if that's what your asking, but what is sad is i really hear people call generics genetics and they are serious.

hogfan said:
HEY are you a farmist? can you fill my subscription and dont give me the genetic i want the real thing

1 - 20 of 27 Posts