The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All -

I am buying my Evora S in Maryland this weekend and in about a month I will be moving to Oregon for a new job - I was wondering if anyone here has any names of very reputable shipping companies with an enclosed shipping option. The only quote I have gotten so far is from my moving company who quoted $2,590.00 which seems pretty high!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
+1 for Intercity. They carried our Elise from Ohio to northern California in late 2005. In 2010, they moved our FJ-40 and RX-7 from California to Wisconsin (we drove the Lotus).

The service was first-rate on both occasions with the cars being carefully loaded, tied-down, and delivered. They also kept us well-informed as the cars were nearing delivery. We were happy on all fronts, and the prices were competitive/fair. Something to be aware of: the rates will depend not only on mileage to-and-from, but also on the pick-up and drop-off locations. For example, in 2005, our pick-up in Ohio and drop-off in California were both easy to get to, in relatively populous areas served by major highways and local routes. In 2010, however, our destination was a tiny town in northern Wisconsin, well off the beaten path. That is what caused the price to be higher (per car) then our OH-CA experience, despite the shorter distance traveled.

·
Registered
972 Posts
+2 for InterCity (Ray the driver ROCKS). Shipped my Elise from SoCal to Boston and from Boston to SoCal and both times Ray and InterCity did an excellent job.
Definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sounds like these guys have a pretty good recommendation^^.

One piece of advice, make sure whoever you are dealing with is an actual shipping company, not a broker. And NEVER use on of those online multi-quote things. I tried to have a car shipped 6 months ago that way, ended up towing it myself, and am still getting calls and emails about it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I am looking at their website and was wondering if they own all of their own transportation equipment, or to they sell the jobs out to other people?

I tried to call and kept getting a buys tone - here is the website i am looking at. Please correct me if i am at the wrong website.

Contact Us | Intercity Lines, Inc.

Thanks!
Intercity works on an "owner-operator" model - basically the franchise of the trucking world. Each trucker owns their truck, but they're all under one umbrella and corporate provides them with branding, regulations, and manages their bookings. They're not a sub-contracting or listing agency like some other transport companies - you work with them directly and the truck that shows up has their name on it.

Intercity also have tracking devices installed on every truck, which should prevent the "where's my car" issue that an Evora buyer on the forum had recently.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sounds like you have some good recommendations here. I used Pilot Transport Pilot Transport to ship m Evora from Portland to Michigan. They did a great job. Car arrived 5 days early =D.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am looking at their website and was wondering if they own all of their own transportation equipment, or to they sell the jobs out to other people?

I tried to call and kept getting a buys tone - here is the website i am looking at. Please correct me if i am at the wrong website.

Contact Us | Intercity Lines, Inc.

Thanks!
beeblet65,

Intercity Lines will be glad to give you a price quote on your move. Please let us know what city to pick up from and where to deliver in OR? We are the carrier, we do not broker anything, our trucks, our drivers, hauling cars we book. Please note that our availability up to the NW usually works out to about once a month. We have a truck leaving next week, so I anticipate the next truck will be middle to end of June. Please let us know and we will be glad to give you a price on your move.

Thanks,
Jim
Intercity Lines
Intercity Lines, Inc.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had a great experience with Intercity about a year ago. I had my Elise shipped from Maryland to Berkeley, CA for about $1850- closed carrier and handled very carefully. Highly recommended!
+1 moved my '72 elan from Seattle to Long Island NY, great company!:clap::clap::clap:

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
I like Passport for more reasons than they sponsored Lotus Owners Gathering last year. Great company. Used them many times.
Very happy with the service.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,472 Posts
Just for ref; I was quoted $2300 for enclosed from Jersey to Seattle. I went with open truck for $1300. It's summer, so the ride in an open one was fine except for the 2 inches thick bug coating ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.