The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to K-Mart today and in the Automotive section I found "Peak Global Lifetime" antifreeze in the one gallon jugs 50/50 mix. They did not have the 100% mix tho. They were on sale for $8.99 . I'd bet that the Peak antifreeze is in other stores on sale also.

Here's a post from about 2 years ago thanks to RoadDad about the Peak antifreeze..

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1058428-post3.html

Good luck - fixen.... :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RoadDad for setting us straight on that point. It always helps to have "up to date" knowledge concerning our fine little automobiles.... Be safe. :shift:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just bought the peak 100% and the 50/50 from vatozone and paid $11.99 for the 50/50 and 13.99 for the 100%. Sometimes it saves to go to the K.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi.

Is it OK to mix orange with orange regardless if its from a different manufacturer?

I have a coolant leak and need to top up with whatever is available locally untill I can get system repaired and flushed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
He's on fire!
3,135 Posts
orange... like dexcool? I would NOT. Get some Peak Global Lifetime, it should mix with what you have if you're still running the factory fill.

·
Registered
571 Posts
No, you should never really mix the inhibitors. Ever. One way to mess up the cooling system, especially an alloy rad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Could you explain why you should not mix same color coolant. I thought the color denoted which kind of inhibitors it has in it, just maybe differant concentrations.

·
Registered
571 Posts
This is a quote from a friend of mine from Aluminium Radiators and Engineering (ARE) that builds custom cooling systems. He built this.

"Put it this way... we have seven different inhibitors here and if we mix any of those two with the other five, I can guarantee that radiator will be stuffed and blocked within two years. A worse-case scenario would see the life-expectancy measured in weeks. We only ever recommend the original manufacture inhibitor unless the entire system has been replaced or refreshed from scratch. Sometimes you get lucky. Others you don't. Why risk it?"

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Could you explain why you should not mix same color coolant. I thought the color denoted which kind of inhibitors it has in it, just maybe different concentrations.
No, color is an indication, but not definite. The same coolant can be colored differently depending on the vendor, and the same color coolant can be entirely different from different vendors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts