The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I want to change my answer, watching now on a bigger monitor you have the brakes on still all the way to the end? I am not sure anymore.
Yes I think my brakes were on that's why I was questioning the rubber off the LR if from braking or tire loaded up.

·
Administrator
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If I have my orientation correct, then this is Roller Coaster right before the downhill section. I agree with Kevin and Eldon in that you over rotated the car. It's hard to tell if you were still on the brakes or lifted while on throttle. You do want to track out there as it sets you for the esses and allows you to get on the power.
Yes you, Kevin and Eldon are all right and it boils down to me being inconsistent from not knowing the track well enough.

·
Administrator
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This event at VIR was first step outside the comfort zone of NCCAR. I had set some goals and learned a lot.

Learning the track (I was inconsistent due to not having each turn ingrained in my mind)

Relearning the car after suspension refresh, V2 arms and added neg camber. (Much more stable on the straights and controllable in the turns)

Testing car's new limits and mine. Haven't been on the track in two years after mechanical failure fall of 2019. (Still TBD)

Getting over the counter intuitiveness of some of the turns. First track other than NCCAR which is flat and half the size.

Reactions: FlatCrank

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
something to think about going forward. When I go to a new track I will watch videos, draw the track, look at track maps and most importantly, drive the track with my eyes closed including where and when I expect to be on and off gas and brake and when I will shift as close as I can.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My first time at VIR was overwhelming. It was a day with THSCC which ran the day well, but did not allow for self tech so that was another headache. Watching VIR videos with Jim Pace helped. I watched his videos when I did sebring and it was tremendous.

Watching videos of people who actually know the track is a great resource before hand then ride alongs the day of goes a long way.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Here's a betterish view of the full corner with larger rear view for when you come back onto the track.

(Just uploaded it so will take a little bit to come in HD)

·
Administrator
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Here's a betterish view of the full corner with larger rear view for when you come back onto the track.

(Just uploaded it so will take a little bit to come in HD)
Much better view! Thanks Zac!

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,990 Posts
Holy crap!! Hope you had a change of underwear with that BMW right there!!

·
Administrator
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
something to think about going forward. When I go to a new track I will watch videos, draw the track, look at track maps and most importantly, drive the track with my eyes closed including where and when I expect to be on and off gas and brake and when I will shift as close as I can.
Some VIR vet's from local club send me 6-7 videos that were very good that I had watched in the two weeks prior to that event. Unfortunately my memory is hit or miss and there's no substitute for the real thing for developing muscle memory.

·
Administrator
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Holy crap!! Hope you had a change of underwear with that BMW right there!!
Didn't cure the constipation. Still full of crap lol.

Reactions: 6TVRs+ and Me!

·
Administrator
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Haha! Glad you were able to avoid the wall and BMW!!
It was the seven cars that came up behind the BMW that really gave me a scare as they split around me sideways middle of track. As soon as they passed I backed off track for steering correction and re entry.

·
Administrator
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
How did the Elise feel powerwise at VIR with your setup?
Great but I was focused on learning the track and technique and waved as many by to have clear zone as much as possible. More often than not I was too low of a gear and using up that midrange that the fastworks tune gave. I think it surprised my instructor with the power.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
What's your brake setup? I saw you have the rc5+ front and rear. But what calipers?

·
Administrator
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
Registered
'08 Exige S240
244 Posts
Hmmm, looks like you were braking while turning and the track fell away from you (downhill). FWIW that's a very hard maneuver. It happens pretty often on go-karts (they only have rear brakes). In the future you could try less rear bias, or less brake pressure as you dip down the hill.

As far as correction... I think letting off the brakes with your steering correction may have saved it, although I don't know. Maybe the more experienced folks could chime in here.

Glad you/car are okay!

·
Registered
2007 Phantom Black Exige S
235 Posts
I think that's turn 14. You can trailbrake a bit, but you need to be off the brakes and scrub all of your speed by the apex. Looks to me that your line was a little off (looked like too late on the apex) as you want hit the apex earlier to setup for T15. Is off-camber on that section and, yes, it is challenging corner. I've seen plenty of cars go off there. Heck, I've seen lots of cars go off on many parts of VIR, including mine :)

Glad you missed the wall!

·
Administrator
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I think that's turn 14. You can trailbrake a bit, but you need to be off the brakes and scrub all of your speed by the apex. Looks to me that your line was a little off (looked like too late on the apex) as you want hit the apex earlier to setup for T15. Is off-camber on that section and, yes, it is challenging corner. I've seen plenty of cars go off there. Heck, I've seen lots of cars go off on many parts of VIR, including mine :)

Glad you missed the wall!
Yup that's where I made my mistake but then again recognizing and learning from your mistakes is what this is all about. Off camber turns I find are the most challenging for me to learn.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
That corner made me pucker everytime when I was there. For some reason, I had confidence thru the snake, but that back section starting with that turn would be last section of track I felt confident in. Glad you are OK....that Beemer could have made sauerkraut out of you!!!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts