The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the car I'm looking at is a Lotus Official Photo car.

At first, I was thinking this is a good thing because it's probably maintained and detailed at all times due to numerous photo shoots and events.

However, after checking out the carfax report, I was surprised to see that this vehicle with only 1000 miles had brake pads, rotors, and tires replaced. Not to mention, it's been serviced twice already.

The only reason that I can conclude from this is that this car has been on track and driven hard. I was told by the sales person that this car was broken-in perfectly for the first 1000 miles.

Does this scenario make any sense to you experts? The fact that this car was broken-in properly but wore out pads, rotors, and tire???:crazyeyes

I may be a bit paranoid since this is my first Lotus but I can't think of any other reason why this car needed new pads, rotors, and tires in only 1000 miles.:shrug:

All you experts, please chime in on this issue. Thanx

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
If "photo car" also means it was used as a press car (which I'm guessing is highly likely), then that means it was probably thrashed pretty hard and put away wet. I'd be leery.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
what year is this? the tires could have been replaced cause they sat too long and the rotors might have rusted :p I don't think its possible to wear out rotors in 1000 miles

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It's a track car, it's supposed to be driven like that. I've heard there are two camps for engine break-in, baby it the first 1500 miles or so, or drive it like you will always drive it. So which camp do you subscribe to?

Does it come with a warranty? Is the price break you're getting worth it to you?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts

At first, I was thinking this is a good thing because it's probably maintained and detailed at all times due to numerous photo shoots and events.

However, after checking out the carfax report, I was surprised to see that this vehicle with only 1000 miles had brake pads, rotors, and tires replaced. Not to mention, it's been serviced twice already.

The only reason that I can conclude from this is that this car has been on track and driven hard. I was told by the sales person that this car was broken-in perfectly for the first 1000 miles.

Does this scenario make any sense to you experts? The fact that this car was broken-in properly but wore out pads, rotors, and tire???:crazyeyes

I may be a bit paranoid since this is my first Lotus but I can't think of any other reason why this car needed new pads, rotors, and tires in only 1000 miles.:shrug:

All you experts, please chime in on this issue. Thanx
No indication of why the pads/rotors/tires were changed. Rust too difficult to remove from the rotors for the next photo shoot? Swap 'em. Flat spotted tires because the car's a couch potato? Swap 'em. Who knows?

Get an ECU dump to see how the car has been driven.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, this car is 2008 and never been registered by an individual. I seriously doubt that the dealership will replace set of rotors due to corrosion?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Well, this car is 2008 and never been registered by an individual. I seriously doubt that the dealership will replace set of rotors due to corrosion?
Why? Have you seen an Official Lotus Photo with rusted rotors?

Pam Anderson had her boobs replaced for a photo, why couldn't rusted rotors be replaced for one as well?

The rust on the rotors is not completely removable once it is there. I'm sure that a dealership didn't have them replaced because of rust, but Lotus may have for a photo.

Why don't you call and ask. Then you might have a chance of actually getting more than a guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No indication of why the pads/rotors/tires were changed. Rust too difficult to remove from the rotors for the next photo shoot? Swap 'em. Flat spotted tires because the car's a couch potato? Swap 'em. Who knows?

Get an ECU dump to see how the car has been driven.
What should I look for when I get the ECU printout? Are there list of over rev 1-6 like in other cars? What are the signs of abuse?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
What should I look for when I get the ECU printout? Are there list of over rev 1-6 like in other cars? What are the signs of abuse?
Standing starts and over-revs are what you'll primarily be looking at.

If you get a warranty, however, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My car was a photo shoot car and I have not had any issues with it. Like the others said, if you like the discount and you have the warranty...then go for it. By the way, how do you know about all the replacements that were done on the car?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My car was a photo shoot car and I have not had any issues with it. Like the others said, if you like the discount and you have the warranty...then go for it. By the way, how do you know about all the replacements that were done on the car?
It was listed on the Carfax report I got from the dealership.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts