The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need recommendations for a good engine mechanic, in the U.S., for my 88Esprit. My mechanic is frustrated about a timing issue with the engine and needs to consult with someone about the problems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!:shrug:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard to start and engine missing when running; new timing sensor installed.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Have you tried the other forums like the lotus forum or the yahoo turbo esprit list?

Unfortunately, despite being a very small owner community, we are fragmented across these different forums, and this one is probably the least active for Esprits despite the much better technology.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Timing sensor? I honestly didn't know the '88 had one of those.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
It's hard to start and engine missing when running; new timing sensor installed.
What else has been checked/replaced? Hard to imagine he threw his hands up after just changing one sensor.

·
Registered
744 Posts
What job the mechanic did to the car? - Did he replace the timing belt?
Why he zeroed in the timing issue?

You have to give a bit more information not just one liner..... it's hard to advice/guess if we haven't seen the crystal ball

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
An '88 engine is the same as my '87, there isn't a 'timing sensor' in this motor such as the typical cam or crank sensors found in todays cars.

The timing marks are a one way fit, they are either on or off... no 'inbetween'
if that happens the valves are most likely bent.

As s2kseven said, the most information you can give that was done the better toward figuring out the problem.

Hard starting can be caused by many different factors, same goes for a miss. If I'm correct you've been dealing with this problem for a very long time and I've emailed you all of the diagnostic procedures in the past.

Let's start with this:
What condition was the motor in before your mechanic started working on it?
What EXACTLY did the mechanic do to this motor? Re: Service, timing belt, electrical, fuel system work, etc.
What has he done to figure out the hard starting and the miss?
What has he not done to figure out these problems?
Without this information figuring out the problem is nothing more than a 'crap shoot' :wallbang:

·
Registered
514 Posts
An '88 engine is the same as my '87, there isn't a 'timing sensor' in this motor such as the typical cam or crank sensors found in todays cars.
Whew, I'm glad I wasn't losing my mind. Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, this has been an ongoing problem, and I have passed along all the previous suggestions, and I'm just going by what this mechanic has told me. He's never worked on a Lotus, although he is a knowledgeable mechanic. I would like for someone to contact him direct so that he may discuss the problem.

His name is Devlin Cole - Texas Star Motors, Waco, TX. Phone is 254-776-5185, or email at [email protected].

If someone has the time, please give him a call - thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts