The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Background - After 4 years of saving / waiting for the right time for me to purchase my dream car (Lotus Elise), I'm READY! I live in CA.

Sorry, instead of making a new thread, I decided to update this one. Responses up to #15 were for another car-pictures and problem I posted yesterday. Thanks for all your help guys. Since dealer did not return any of my calls I moved on.

So I just made an offer to an out of state dealer, Oregon - Gran Prix Imports. Dealer contact was super nice, and answered all my questions amd requests. It's an 05 STi with just sport package. It is carfax 1-owner with no accident history.

Car didn't have Starshield, odometer is good, and with about 3800 miles on the car, are these many paint chips normal? Even the dealer was wondering how that many accumulated with the miles on the car.

Thanks for your assessment, again!

Attachments

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,690 Posts
normal.TADTS

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,690 Posts
rotor may have been replaced, or prev. owner may have STARTED painting the hats.....and procrastinated.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Car was washed. Then moved. Brakes lightly used in moving car for shoot. Brakes not perfect so one was used more than others. Normal.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,690 Posts
Car was washed. Then moved. Brakes lightly used in moving car for shoot. Brakes not perfect so one was used more than others. Normal.
Think he was referring to the grey hat in the first pic...

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's how mine was. Three with rust and one with just a hint of rust. I bought mine an 07 with 214 miles on it. I just painted them with silver ceramic heat tested paint and they look great. I had the same concern but after inquiring here I found it nothing to worry about, it is very common with these rotors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I could wash my Elise in the driveway, and the rotors would show rust by the time I was done. I could then drive the car a couple of miles, and the rust would be gone.
Why would one wheel not show rust? The direct sun dried it. The other three were shaded. The longer they sat wet, the more rust they would show.

So, no big deal. You should look under the front clam lip, though. There most likely will be scratches, maybe more. It's low, and loves driveway bumps and road debris. More comfort for the buyer when this is minimal.

I just noticed something else in your photo. Lotus puts one "puzzle" lug on each wheel, and the tool for this is in your tool kit in the trunk. I don't see a puzzle lock on this wheel. Just an observation.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The outside edge of that rotor is also not rusted. That rotor was replaced, and its twin on the other side of the car was not. You're technically supposed to replace them in pairs.

That is a painted hat. It looks like it was painted some time ago so maybe I'm wrong and it's just a super rotor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts