The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi ya all,

I am new to the Lotus world but not to cars. I fell in love with the Lotus look and 1st started looking for an Elise...but the Elise was a bit too stripped down for me & I think the Evora is a smokin hot looking set of wheels...& it better fits my old tired worn out frame.

I live in Mass and figured it was a good time to buy the hot looking Evora...winter & all .

I am looking at four right now.

FIRST OPTION:

This is a new 2011 chrome(burnt?) orange NA vehicle at a dealership within an hr from me. It is a base model as noted below...it has the life style paint, Premium pkg, sport pkg, star shield, sport shift plus the following listed below...I'll list all the vehicle ptions as I am not sure if there is anything special in this list that affects the price.

Vehicle Options
Air Conditioning,Alloy Wheels,AM/FM Stereo Radio,Anti-Lock Braking System,Carpeting,CD Player,Clock,Console,Driver Side Air Bag,Driver Side Remote Mirror,Dual Sport Mirrors,Fog Lights,Front Bucket Seats,Interval Wipers,Keyless Entry,Leather Upholstery,Maintenance Free Battery,Map Lights,Passengers Front Airbag,Power Brakes,Power Door Locks,Power Steering,Power Windows,Rear Defroster,Rear Spoiler,Reclining Seats,Remote Fuel Door,Security System,Side Air Bags,Tachometer,Tilt Steering Wheel,Tinted Glass,Traction Control,Trip Computer,Trip Odometer,18' front wheels,19' rear wheels,Aerodynamic rear diffuser,Aerodynamic rear spoiler,Bi-xenon headlights w/headlight washing system,Chrome-colored door handles,Front air dam,Intermittent windshield wiper,LED taillights,Lotus Evora chrome ornamentation,Sculpted roof,Side scoops,Solar glass windows,12V pwr outlets -inc: (1) interior, (1) trunk-mounted,Air conditioning,Door storage bins,Dual front seat adjustment -inc: recline, tilt, slide,Illuminated knobs & switches w/aluminum trim,Instrumentation -inc: high definition LCD message panel, customizable display options, progressive shift lights, tachometer (Lotus command center),Integrated cup holders,Leather-trimmed shift knob & handbrake sleeve,Magnesium flat-bottomed leather-wrapped steering wheel,Pwr windows,Rear black cloth-trimmed seating area,Rear window defroster,Remote release glovebox,Tilt & telescoping steering column,Trip computer,3.5L DOHC 24-valve VVT-i mid-mounted transverse V6 engine,4-wheel vented disc brakes,AP racing 4-piston calipers,Bonded modular lightweight aluminum & steel chassis,Dual polished exhaust,Forged aluminum double wishbone suspension w/integral joint,Front & rear Bilstein gas shock absorbers,Front & rear Eibach coaxial coil springs,Front & rear stabilizer bars,Hydraulic-assist pwr steering,Rear wheel drive,Safety-sheltered stainless steel fuel tank,Bosch 4-wheel servo anti-lock braking system (ABS) -inc: hydraulic brake assist, electronic brake distribution,Daytime running lights,Deforming impact-absorbing front & rear subframes,Dual stage driver & front passenger air bags,Front & rear seat belt harness anti-roll bars,Front outboard 3-point seat belts,Insulated double glazed rear window filled w/Argon gas,Rear central high-mount stop light,Side impact safety structure

I believe he was asking $62,900 or $63,900 (it is hell getting old...can't remember crap). I test drove it a week ago just before we got slammed with 10" snow...preliminary talks lead to his offering the car to me for $60,000...without any real negotiations. He has another 2011 Evora that is a sister car to the orange one...silver over Paparika. Asking about the same price. He also has a three 2013's. He is a Lotus dealership.
============================

SECOND OPTION:

This one is the same spec vehicle...chrome orange NA base model. It is in SC and was the local Lotus dealership's demo car (I don't think he is a full service Lotus dealership...sells out of a Range Rover dealership all by himself...has space in the dealeership???

He sold the car after he was through with it & bought it back on a trade-in...it has a ugly Gulf blue stripe down the middle and 5k miles on it. He did add a Pioneer Nav system, back up camera and it has the upgraded alloy wheels. I don't care about the wheels or the stripe...he has another white over Papareka 2011 Evora with stock wheels that he will exchange & also will remove the blue stripe.

He says he needs to get $56K. I haven't seen this car...just photos.
=======================================
THIRD OPTION:

is the 2011 Evora on eBay with the Lemon & Manufacturer Buyback title at Motorcars of Georgia...at a price of $46,500 ( eBay item number:
131071300778). Any thoughts on going down this route??

Is the Lotus mfg warranty still valid with this type title??
===============
FOURTH OPTION

THE RED 2012 EVORA ON EBAY that is in Texas....2012 Lotus Evora REARVIEW CAM. At $59,800 seems like a real good deal....why hasn't this sold???

It's not my favorite color combo but it is a nice looking vehicle & I do like the red piping and stitching on the interior and for the price...it bears consideration.

Is the 2012 that much better than the 2011???
======================================

I sure would appreciate any feedback and recommendations on the above 3 options...especially with the knowledge base of people on LotusTalk.

It is winter here in New England & I suspect not too many people will be looking to buy a Lotus just to have it sit until spring...

Thanks in advance,,,

Mark
=================================================

FOLLOW UP ........12/20/2012

Thanks for all the quick responses & support...sorry for the delay getting back to all...I've been sick with this bloody flue from hell for almost 2 wks....but it hasn't dampened my spirits to find an Evora.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Regarding option #2 -

I live in SC and have used the dealership in Greenville a few times for out of warrantee work on my Elise. Max is a good guy and I've always had good service there. It is a full fledged dealership, but they do share space with the Land Rover side. With the limited sales of these cars I think it would be hard to have a stand-alone dealership. I suppose what I'm trying to say is I wouldn't be concerned with the size of the dealership.

I've also seen the Gulf striped car you're referring to in person and I really liked the look, but it's your car so get it how you want!

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
I've driven the Gulf car, it was fun. After driving her I started a thread about how you don't really need an S to have a great time driving an Evora.

Nonetheless, new is new. 2012 has much nicer seats and I love the contrasting stitching. That would definitely be my call.

Enjoy!

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
is there a wrong choice when buying a Evora? :shrug:

Seriously, the Orange Evoras have really grown on me, take a look at Squids, very exotic and really stands out in a crowd. addition of the black top just makes it even better:bow:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Just wondering, are you coming from a Dodge Viper?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'd go 12 over 11 for interior. I'd go for all 3 options packages if possible. I'd go "S" if possible.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I would suggest looking through other dealerships. I'm not sure those prices are reflective of being "snowed in" for the winter.

First Option:
I think the first option is priced high. I suspect it's because Chrome Orange is a polarizing color and I think the sales person is using that to get a higher price. When I was shopping for an n/a Evora last October, Scottsdale Lotus was offering a new 2011 n/a Evora for $60K. I went with a "press car" with 10K miles for $55K.

Second Option:
I think $56K or even $60K for an Evora S is a good deal. What concerns me is the condition of the car. Sounds like it was a press car, then sold, and then traded back in. One thing you should be aware of is that clutch replacements are very expensive with the Evora as they, not only have to drop the engine, they have to practically disassemble the whole rear of the car. It's about an $8,000 job due to the labor. Just something to consider with that car.

Third Option:
Not sure about a buy back. Although, there was a thread here that said buy backs do not necessarily mean it's a bad car. I think it was a controversial thread.

Fourth Option:
2012 have upgraded interiors and a few mechanical upgrades (like improved shifter cables). I think others can give you more details on the extent of changes.

That said, I think the first option is the best choice if you can get the price down to around $58K or so.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
If its a 2012 its likely an IPS NA (there was only 1 manual) so you need to decide if that is what you want...if not, then that rules it out quickly.

I'm biased towards chrome orange :)

A 12 or newer car is nice for the interior upgrades, but i think in general your prices are all in the right ballpark, nothing seems too insane. I would skip the lemon car if I could, as I could foresee problems insuring and resale if ever..

·
Registered
57 Posts
If its a 2012 its likely an IPS NA (there was only 1 manual) so you need to decide if that is what you want...if not, then that rules it out quickly.

I'm biased towards chrome orange :)

A 12 or newer car is nice for the interior upgrades, but i think in general your prices are all in the right ballpark, nothing seems too insane. I would skip the lemon car if I could, as I could foresee problems insuring and resale if ever..

I am bias toward not buying a car that your not sure about.I think deep down your unsure about all of them.

I live in europe so maybe this is a wacky idea, but you could buy an ex driving school S Direct from hethel , for 25k GBP tax free, add a few second a hand bits for luxury direct from lotus say you spend extra 5k GBP with Fed conversion, ship over with the help of lotus and I think you got a cheap deal that you have piece of mind over. Speed 1mio or 1 USD you need to be happy with your purchase? no

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Lots of good advice. But, unfortunately, buying a car is completely subjective. Do you feel the need for a new car, or is a used one that you do not know the whole history on ok for you? Is a particular color that important to you? (Color was extremely important to me. So much so that I ordered my CO.)

Most buyers like the newer interiors (2012-2014). I still like the 2010-2011 interiors that include seat and door colors contrasting against the additional black of the dash etc. Some like the contrast of the major colors and yet others like the monochrome look. There is no right or wrong.

When it comes down to it, it really depends what you like as far as looks, what you are comfortable with purchasing based on the history/miles and what you can afford. The only advice I would give is that you go a little extra to be able to get a full warranty, if possible, as a security measure.

Then get in and drive! :shift:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
And, just FYI, all new left over 2011s had their warranty punched on 12/28/12. Personally, I've had a lot of warranty issues on the two Evoras I had but nothing so much that the car was un-drivable. Most nuisance things like trim pieces.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Interesting screen name. One of my F-16s (unofficially nicknamed Viper) I worked on had the tail # of 007. That brings back memories. :)

Vehicle color was a big issue for me. The first time I ever saw the red piping w/ the Sport Pack Premium, I just had to have it. It was a non-negotiable item for me. Thus, my needs/wants required a 2012 or 13. I also loved the union jack door sill plate on the 12s & 13s. I was extremely lucky in finding the color car I wanted with the interior, wheels, & manual tranny I wanted fully loaded w/ all options sitting on the dealer lot. For what I paid, I could've bought a new 2012 S on the same lot cheaper, but this was the perfect car I'd been dreaming about & dreams don't come cheap nor often. It had just arrived in the US & hadn't even been inspected yet. I thought for sure I was going to have to custom order what I wanted...I was very fortunate. By the way, my 2013 NA has the same suspension as the S, FWIW.

Regardless of your choice they're great cars. I get told every day that I have the most beautiful car that "they" have ever seen. That does have its drawbacks too though as I'm not the most sociable guy to ever walk the planet. You will not be able to get gas without someone asking you about it, so be prepared to answer the same questions over & over again. I'll admit my alter ego likes the attention--it's bright yellow for heaven's sake--but sometimes I just want to be left alone. Like today, I drove my wife's Electric Red BMW & no one stared, turned their head, or asked me any questions about it at the gas station...even after I thoroughly waxed it this afternoon. :)

Regarding the buyback/lemon car: My wife is an insurance adjuster & is leary of these type of cars. She says it will definitely have an impact on the value of the car & you could have a hard time trying to sell it when the day comes. Ultimately, it's your money & your choice, so be happy whichever route you take.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Interesting screen name. One of my F-16s (unofficially nicknamed Viper) I worked on had the tail # of 007. That brings back memories. :)

Vehicle color was a big issue for me. The first time I ever saw the red piping w/ the Sport Pack Premium, I just had to have it. It was a non-negotiable item for me. Thus, my needs/wants required a 2012 or 13. I also loved the union jack door sill plate on the 12s & 13s. I was extremely lucky in finding the color car I wanted with the interior, wheels, & manual tranny I wanted fully loaded w/ all options sitting on the dealer lot. For what I paid, I could've bought a new 2012 S on the same lot cheaper, but this was the perfect car I'd been dreaming about & dreams don't come cheap nor often. It had just arrived in the US & hadn't even been inspected yet. I thought for sure I was going to have to custom order what I wanted...I was very fortunate. By the way, my 2013 NA has the same suspension as the S, FWIW.

Regardless of your choice they're great cars. I get told every day that I have the most beautiful car that "they" have ever seen. That does have its drawbacks too though as I'm not the most sociable guy to ever walk the planet. You will not be able to get gas without someone asking you about it, so be prepared to answer the same questions over & over again. I'll admit my alter ego likes the attention--it's bright yellow for heaven's sake--but sometimes I just want to be left alone. Like today, I drove my wife's Electric Red BMW & no one stared, turned their head, or asked me any questions about it at the gas station...even after I thoroughly waxed it this afternoon. :)

Regarding the buyback/lemon car: My wife is an insurance adjuster & is leary of these type of cars. She says it will definitely have an impact on the value of the car & you could have a hard time trying to sell it when the day comes. Ultimately, it's your money & your choice, so be happy whichever route you take.
What he said!

I had been test driving a whole bunch of cars, more for fun than real expectation to buy...until I drove an Evora. It was not the most powerful, not the best spec etc but the actual drive was fantastic. I suited my driving style.

Then it came down to money and the intangibles (colour combos, goodies, the Lotusness). By pure fluke, I stumbled on a discounted car that was everything I wanted and could not say no. As Missileman says - how often do all your decision factors just simply line up. Grab your chance when it comes alone.

Missileman, you must be my long lost brother as I completely empathise with your comment on uninvited attention but I get miffed if I see someone not giving the car a second look. This kind of sums up owning an Evora, you know it may cause you a few inconveniences at any time but you are so glad you have it.

My 2 cents, buy MY12 or above, go manual and supercharged and aim for low $70ks.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Most of that gibberish you have listed under "options" is actually standard equipment.

You need to figure out if you want:
NA vs S
MT vs IPS
2+0 vs 2+2
color choice
actual options you want...tech pack, sports pack, premium pack, wheel choice, backup camera.

Then you can decide which cars meet your needs. Check the warranty coverage. Newer is better. And don't buy a lemon...that means someone spent more than a month and/or tried to fix the problem 3 times and failed.

Just my 2 cents.

Have you looked at the 2 cars at AMNE-Lotus in Waltham?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
You know, there are few enough Lotus dealers that in about 2 hours, could you check Lotus USA's dealer locator page and then check all dealers inventory. Then you know what's out there and can help your negotiations.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input

Regarding option #2 -

I live in SC and have used the dealership in Greenville a few times for out of warrantee work on my Elise. Max is a good guy and I've always had good service there. It is a full fledged dealership, but they do share space with the Land Rover side. With the limited sales of these cars I think it would be hard to have a stand-alone dealership. I suppose what I'm trying to say is I wouldn't be concerned with the size of the dealership.

I've also seen the Gulf striped car you're referring to in person and I really liked the look, but it's your car so get it how you want!
=======================================

I've talked to Max a few times...seems like a good guy over the phone...but you have to keep in mind that his livelihood depends on selling cars. My concern here is how the car was driven when it was not under his control..i.e. when he sold it. He's asking about the same price as a new 2011 Chrome Evora only with Nav & backup camera...seems like the new CO Evora is a better deal at his current price. Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with you

I've driven the Gulf car, it was fun. After driving her I started a thread about how you don't really need an S to have a great time driving an Evora.

Nonetheless, new is new. 2012 has much nicer seats and I love the contrasting stitching. That would definitely be my call.

Enjoy!
I have to agree with you....I do like those contrasting stitched seats...they are hot.

What did you think of the blue strip down the top & on the side of the car??

What make the 2012 seats nicer other than the stitching...anything or just looks?

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Orage is hot

is there a wrong choice when buying a Evora? :shrug:

Seriously, the Orange Evoras have really grown on me, take a look at Squids, very exotic and really stands out in a crowd. addition of the black top just makes it even better:bow:
I do like the orange...especially if you want to stand out in a crowd.

Was the black top an option in 2011?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No Viper

Just wondering, are you coming from a Dodge Viper?
Not coming from a Viper....last sports car was a Porsche 911 Slant-nose..a few yrs ago.

Viper call sign is from my all time favorite movie...Top Gun...

"I feel the need...I feel the need for speed"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd go 12 over 11 for interior. I'd go for all 3 options packages if possible. I'd go "S" if possible.
It would be nice if I could go with all three option pkges...don't really need the "S" as I don't the value....other than performance & I've seen comments that the difference is not all that great.

Is there something else you get with the "S"?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts