The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need a spline tool ASAP. I don't know what happened to mine. I need new tires, and can't get the rims off! If anyone has one they are willing to part with, or can tell me of a source for one, I would really appreciate it.

Any local autoparts places going to have them, do I have to order one? What exactly is it called, or can anything be substituted?

Time is of the essence as I really can't drive till I get one! :panic:
Thanks.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
and...........you're in.....ALASKA ????.............( might help to tell us where you are )

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I am in upstate NY, near Rochester. I was hoping a local auto store might have one, but I don't even know what to ask for.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Locals likely won't have. Best bet is to contact a dealer and pay to have it overnighted to you.

I have an extra but I wouldn't have a chance to mail it until Saturday at the earliest.

And I'd want one million dollars for it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Locals likely won't have. Best bet is to contact a dealer and pay to have it overnighted to you.

I have an extra but I wouldn't have a chance to mail it until Saturday at the earliest.

And I'd want one million dollars for it.
Sold! Seriously, a dealership is my best option? I haven't spoken to the dealership since I picked up the car new in Manhattan.

I had hoped some other, more local dealership/ car shop might use the same part. Is this part common to all the Elises? Or do I need to give my VIN, etc?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Sold! Seriously, a dealership is my best option? I haven't spoken to the dealership since I picked up the car new in Manhattan.

I had hoped some other, more local dealership/ car shop might use the same part. Is this part common to all the Elises? Or do I need to give my VIN, etc?

Thanks for the help.
It's common to Elise/Exige. Dealers would have. Lotusgarage too. I'd bet someone here will come up with one though.

I do have one, and would gladly part with it, for something less than a million, but I truly have no chance to mail it before Saturday.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
contact Zygotesoup He's in ROC and has one

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I PM'd him on FB....he will get the message.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Shawn C has one for sale in the classifieds about 6 ads below the one you inquired about. Once you get them off you might want to think about changing over to studs. It makes changing wheels a heck of a lot easier and it is just a matter of time before the tire shop starts stripping out the originals.

·
Registered
389 Posts
In an emergency you can try the box end of a standard 3/8 extension in the splines. it fits and in an emergency is an option. I wouldn't recommend that for everyday use. Try to use a new extention with well defined corners and if the wheel isn't on too tight and it shouldn.t be torqued on more than 72 ft/lbs anyway) it should work if your wheel nut splines are in good shape.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Best. Forum. Ever.

Several members offered to help, and the problem is solved.

I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I agree, my car was stranded over the weekend in a "Monday" spot on the street and I got enough help over the weekend to get it moving by Saturday night. Someone even offered to come down and help take the interior apart to get to the immobilizer. From Mamaroneck.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
The tool for the wheels is pretty cheap. It is worth having more than one.

I had my wheels overtorqued and broke a few of those tools.

It is also worth putting anti-seize on the lug nuts.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The tool for the wheels is pretty cheap. It is worth having more than one.

I had my wheels overtorqued and broke a few of those tools.

It is also worth putting anti-seize on the lug nuts.
Anti-seize is what may have allowed you to overtorque. You should reduce fastener torque by up to 40% if you use a lubricant such as anti-seize in the threads.

Forget the lube, torque by hand correctly to 77 ft/lbs, and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hahahaha.

If there was a dealer here I'm sure they would charge $85 for it anyhow. I've been able to mail order parts for nearly every vehicle I have worked on in the last 10 years for much much cheaper the buying local. Morrison's is the worst. $40 window trim online through dealer in WA. Morrison's wanted $163. "Well sir, shipping costs us money"... so what the hell do you do with the other $100 you are charging?!

The $15 price is from Lotus Garage.

At the Alaska Lotus dealer?

Glen

1 - 20 of 20 Posts