The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 2 legs to the Elise series 3 windshield frame, one on each side. At the top of each windshield frame leg is a threaded insert that the front clam attaches to. See the attached pics.

I suspect the threaded insert is actually a nutplate which is bonded to the underside of each leg of the windshield frame.

In my case, I believe one end of the nutplate glue is broken, leaving the nutplate drooping because it attached to underside of the windshield frame leg by only one end. It makes it very difficult to put a bolt in the nutplate, because the nutplate threads are now at an angle to the vertical.

If I try to remove the windshield frame from the car to repair the nutplate the potential for breaking the windshield is high. So for cost/amount of work involved reasons I would prefer not to remove the to windshield frame, rather I want to repair the nutplate while it is in the car.

My question is; how do you get access to the nutplate to fix it?

Would it be possible to remove the dash and get to the windshield frame leg from the inside of the car?

Has anyone else had this problem?
winshield frame.jpg nut plate.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts
I am not sure, but given that the nut plate is mounted in fiberglass, you could cut away enough of that to secure the nut plate. JB Weld comes to mind, but not JB Smooth.

You could fashion an L-shaped plate to be able to glue 2 sides, but that may be overkill.

Why is nothing ever "underkill"??

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Put a bolt in it through a small socket or sleeve and add some 3M 4200 adhesive to sides then pull up and lightly tighten. The adhesive will be flexible but strong. Other than that change you brake fluid. That is shot! Also replace radiator and hoses with an all aluminum one while the clam is off. Tommy

·
Registered
12 Posts
On my car, that nut just fell off. I installed a nutsert. If you can't just bang/pry it off, maybe drill it out and install the nutsert right into existing nut?

·
Addict
1,299 Posts
Try to pull the insert up and glue/bond in place. Not sure if a stud would work in that location, guess it would depend on how the clam fits over the hole to prevent the stud from damaging the clam. Magnetic bolt might help pull it up enough to engage threads?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'd also recommend a rivnut/nutsert. If you can pull that off it would make this job real easy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A nutsert is an idea. There is also something very similar called a rivnut, not sure what the difference is.

But both a rivnut and a nutsert have a metal flange on the top. This metal flange would be on top of the windshield frame leg. Thus the clam, when installed, would sit higher at that point by the thickness of the flange. Would this make any difference?

Also surfed the net and found a British based blog where an Elise owner had the same problem. He cut a hole in the side of windshield frame leg to allow access to the nutplate. When the repair was complete he filled the hole with a rubber grommet.

Any comments?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts