The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with something. My Evora is outside in the driveway while I redo the whole garage walls, plaster,paint, etc).

It snowed and the whole car is covered in snow, including all the vents and mesh.

This AM, I started it, and it ran OK for a few minutes. I turned it off, tried to restart it, and it sounded like the engine was choking - it sputtered and died. The CEL came on. It won't restart and it doesn't sound like it's the starter solenoid (ie. dead battery). I didn't get a chance to connect my OBD reader yet (had to run to work).

Any chance it's just snow blocking some engine air intakes? Should I stand outside with a blow dryer and melt everything? Just checking to see if anyone has any advice before I twist myself into a pretzel trying to get the OBD reader connected

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
We're here, but....???? Only thought is to get it in (somehow) and let it dry out. Or maybe start crying....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already tried crying and it didn't do anything. I also stomped my feet and swore, nothing....I got it to start and I'm going to put it into the garage and let it all melt

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Geez, good luck. I hate winter.... (except for the skiing part)

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I would just push it inside the garage and let it dry. One thing that could've happened is that snow covered the intake opening and since it was fully blocked some ice might have entered the intake valve when you fired up the engine. The vacuum from the intake pull stuff inside the intake from that side intake time to time. Water and snow is one thing that should definitely not get in there.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,423 Posts
Too late but, I would also advise not to start a car in the cold and shut if off prior to reaching operating temps. Might not be a big deal but condensation can be bad.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
More likely than not, it could simply be collected water making contact with the ignition system. Let it dry at higher than freezing temps.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
California Car Covers. Or such.

That's what I thought this morning when the ice had frozen the S4s door shut. And a nice cover is in the trunk.

Evora are great cars but new models and the nuances of where water goes in its various states are hardly worked out.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
it could even be moisture in a connection or something. lots and lots of possibilities.

My guess is if you plug in the OBDII reader itll come back with the code 00WINE....the only known solution is to drink a bottle or two of red wine...then see how it is once it warms up.

In all seriousness, I can imagine it is quite stressful, but I would get the car warmed up and dried out as best you can, then see where you're at and pull some codes as necessary.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
on a Montreal driveway overnight. either the weather or a car jacker was going to get it - look on the bright side, it was only the weather:)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I tried to restart it and it worked! I think the intkae was pluged up with snow, hence why it sputtered and then wouldn't restart. I ran it for a good hour, melted everything off, and moved it into the garage and hooked up the battery tender. Will never leave it out in the snow again, there are so many bloody vents it's crazy

Thanks again for all the input guys, you've all been very helpful!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Glad it is working out. Sounds like if we do have to sit outside like that we do need a cover. Never really thought about it but yes I guess the vents will simply fill with snow/ice.

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
California Car Covers. Or such.

That's what I thought this morning when the ice had frozen the S4s door shut. And a nice cover is in the trunk.

Evora are great cars but new models and the nuances of where water goes in its various states are hardly worked out.
Am told to coat door gaskets with oil-based substance or silicone spray (which I don't much like).

PUSH don't pull the door to break it free. Pulling might result in damaged gasket.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Vaseline on the seals works perfect. Just a very thin wipe and you're fine.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I kept it in the garage - went to get the code reader and by then the code disappeared! I'm pretty sure it would have read something something low air flow engine intake something something. Anyways all good now.

Quick question: To store for the winter, which battery pole to disconnect? red or black or both?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Ground only (black).

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with something. My Evora is outside in the driveway while I redo the whole garage walls, plaster,paint, etc).

It snowed and the whole car is covered in snow, including all the vents and mesh.

This AM, I started it, and it ran OK for a few minutes. I turned it off, tried to restart it, and it sounded like the engine was choking - it sputtered and died. The CEL came on. It won't restart and it doesn't sound like it's the starter solenoid (ie. dead battery). I didn't get a chance to connect my OBD reader yet (had to run to work).

Any chance it's just snow blocking some engine air intakes? Should I stand outside with a blow dryer and melt everything? Just checking to see if anyone has any advice before I twist myself into a pretzel trying to get the OBD reader connected

Thanks in advance

My guess is you sucked in a bunch of water after starting up and doing a test drive with the intake vent covered in snow.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
is that your white Elise sc on Scotti's site Dean?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts