The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first issue of any kind that I've had with my Elise, and I think it might be a big one.

I daily drive my car.. Its never been tracked, but its got a ton of freeway miles on it. Everything's been fine with it since I bought it used about a year ago.

Yesterday, everything was normal. I went home for lunch and parked in my garage as usual. (I may have left the lights on..but not sure) I locked the doors and activated the alarm with the key fob as normal.

When I came back about an hour later. The key fob would not work. I jumped to the conclusion that the battery on the fob was dead. I live near a radio shack, so I went and got a replacement battery.

Came back to try it..then realized that there was nothing wrong with the fob in the first place, because the alarm blinker in the dash of the car was not blinking at all.

So, my next assumption was that the car battery must be dead. Today, I went to Beverly Hills Lotus and picked up a new one. Went home connected it, checked to make sure the cables where in the right place and strapped on securely. They were.

At this point I was expecting the car alarm to go off, since it had died with the alarm armed. But, no..nothing happened. The armed alarm indicator light was not blinking the fob wouldn't do anything and the battery was brand new.

I called the guys at BH Lotus..and they didn't know what the deal was. They tested my old battery. (the one I assumed was dead) well it turns out it wasn't dead.

The worst part is I can't even get into the car because it was locked using the fob. :( (i know there is an override to this by finding a wire in the engine area and giving a 12volt jolt.)

Not really sure how to do it..will have to dig up that thread because the parking break is on, and the tow truck guys that I plan on calling tomorrow will have to break into my car in order to release the parking break. They'll need to do that in order to move the car into a towing position. Right now the car is facing the wall of my garage. So, i'm gonna have to figure out how to get the car open without any power.

I've read a bunch of threads relating to the dead battery or electrical issues. But, haven't found one that matches my problem. :confused:

Can anyone throw out any educated guesses as to what my problem might be.

The BH lotus guys speculated that it could be a loose wire somewhere, or maybe even a fried ECU. :eek:

Would a totally dead alternator cause this?

Could it simply be an issue with the alarm dying? Is there a safe way to test this?

Anyone..experience anything like this before?

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Did you try the 2nd remote or try to resync the 1st one.
Resync by taking battery out of remote and waiting 10 secs to re-install. Standing close to the car and press both buttons until remotes LED goes out, approx. 10 secs. Release both buttons and LED should then come on constant. Press large button for 1 sec, LED will flash, now complete.
Here is the thread for unlocking the doors by tapping into the white , center, inertia switch wire and touching it to battery positive.Emergency Unlock Switch – Easy Mod Pictorial - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link.

That's the thread i had been looking for.

as far as the trying the fobs. i did and they didn't work since there is no power going to the alarm. the battery is good, but for some reason there is no power going to the alarm system. so, the car remains locked.

I'm going to have to get help from the tow truck guy to either break into the car, or try the suggestion on the link to get the locks to pop open.

then i can get it to the shop, so they can figure out why no power is going to car even though the battery is good.

·
Registered
912 Posts
You can use the key to unlock the door manually theres a key hole in the button you push to open the door.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
If the car has been locked with the remote, the key will not work, the electronic and manual systems are independent of each other, weird but true.

You are assuming the alarm has no power, but maybe its just the dash light that is not on.
Interesting point is that if the alarm was on when you disconnected the battery (when you replaced it), it should have sounded, because of the back up battery.
That inertia switch white center wire just needs to be given + power, no need to do that mod at this time.
Let us know how you resolve it.
Good luck, Michael
You can use the key to unlock the door manually theres a key hole in the button you push to open the door.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Very strange!

This happened to my BMW yesterday also. I have an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry installed which has performed flawlessly for years. Well yesterday I locked the car with the FOB and when I came back the remote wouldn't work. Assuming the battery had finally died in the FOB (even though the LED worked full strength), I unlocked the door manually and the alarm went off. Luckily I was able to disconnect the alarm module.

When I got home, I reconnected it and tried the other FOB which is rarely used...so that battery is known to be good. It also did not work. I don't know how this happened because i didn't do anything different than any other day for the past couple years...

:( :confused:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I am not sure if this will help, but did you reset the inertia switch in the trunk?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If it were me I'd think about getting an auto electrician to the car - rather than break in in order to tow it.

You can get to the battery and the fusebox - so there's a good chance a smart auto electrician can sort something out in situ.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone.

UKPhil, I'm going to look into the possibility of bringing an auto electrician to have a look before I go the tow truck route.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Now that you replaced the battery in the fob it will need t be resync'd. Until it is, it is useless. Regardless of whether or not it was the original issue, it will countinue to cause you problems until you get that fixed.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Not to deliberately contradict you, but "most" of the time when a remote battery is replaced it does not need to be re-synchronized. :)
QUOTE=wallabyguy;1023874]Now that you replaced the battery in the fob it will need t be resync'd. Until it is, it is useless. Regardless of whether or not it was the original issue, it will countinue to cause you problems until you get that fixed.[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Not to deliberately contradict you, but "most" of the time when a remote battery is replaced it does not need to be re-synchronized. :)
QUOTE=wallabyguy;1023874]Now that you replaced the battery in the fob it will need t be resync'd. Until it is, it is useless. Regardless of whether or not it was the original issue, it will countinue to cause you problems until you get that fixed.
+1 for no need to resync. the fob after a new battery......I have not had a need to do this yet after replacing a battery, however I have had to resync. them when the alarm just refused to recognize the fobs for no apparent reason.

In this case, it looks more like some kind of failure in the alarm system. What really stinks is that it failed with the alarm set. I would make it my priority at this time to access the wire in the engine compartment to unlock the doors. Don't let some tow truck guy attempt to break into your car. I am quite sure he will just end up breaking more things than he will do good for you. Once you have the doors unlocked, just have the car flat bedded to your dealer and have the alarm problem/immobilizer problem repaired. It also may not be a bad idea to attempt to bypass the immobilizer if you can to avoid the towing (improper towing could also cause damage to your car). The Viper has the directions to bypass the immobilizer as well. Once again, do your best to make sure someone doesn't need to break into your car and if possible see if you can get it to run so you don't need the towing. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
FYI the ECU has no function with the alarm or the flashing red light, its all the immobiliser unit behind the seat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try this

This worked for me when I was locked out a couple years ago. Bend a metal coat hanger into a v-shaped opening. Put a little electrical tape over the end of the hanger so it doesn't scratch anything.Slip it through the rubber weather-strip at the top of the window and trap the V at the end of the hanger in the undercut on the door unlock button. Pull up the door lock button on an angle so the v is held in the undercut (slowly so the hanger doesn't slip off), and open the door.

Jimmy

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree Tesprit with your suggestions.

The towing to a dealership will be a last resort of sorts.

So, far Beverly Hills Lotus and Del (delise) have given me the names of two towing companies that are near me, and have experience towing an elise.

I'm at work right now dealing with a project deadline(walkind distance to my home)
So, i wont' be able to deal with my issue until later today.

But, thanks again to all of you for your comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2007 Elise when it was new and warranty covered it. Everything would periodically go dead. Turns out, some pins in the connector that connects the wiring harness to the ECU were bent and not making constant contact. Going over bumbs or anything that caused a substantial jolt worked the connector loose. Replaced the connector and everything has been fine since. Of course, I have to keep battery tender connected if not driving for more than 4-5 days.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Good luck, I think we can all sympathize and imagine the same thing happening to ourselves. Please let us all know what the problem was.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I agree Tesprit with your suggestions.

The towing to a dealership will be a last resort of sorts.

So, far Beverly Hills Lotus and Del (delise) have given me the names of two towing companies that are near me, and have experience towing an elise.

I'm at work right now dealing with a project deadline(walkind distance to my home)
So, i wont' be able to deal with my issue until later today.

But, thanks again to all of you for your comments and suggestions.
Don't know how I can help, but if you need another pair of hands for anything I'm not too far away. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts