The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a set of front pads, RC8 and RC6 as a front and rear setup with 2 pots all around. I took them out awhile ago and now I'm trying to identify which is RC8 and which is RC6. I have no idea anymore and the numbers on the back aren't helping me like I thought they would. I'm having trouble matching that up with the catalogue on their website. They're marked 4060-114C 27/17 and 4060-115E, 25/17

See the attached photos. Based on the wear...i'm assuming that the ones on the right, 4060 115E, 25/17 are the ones I had up front, RC8. But if I can know for sure, it'd be better.

Also, side question.... are the markings made by the pistons on the back side of the pads any indication of uneven pressure? cause some are heavily marked and others barely.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Looks like somebody has Phil's vented stainless pistons?

Sorry I can't help with the pad recon. Email CL?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like somebody has Phil's vented stainless pistons?

Sorry I can't help with the pad recon. Email CL?

Yup I have the vented pistons all around. I can take a better photo depicting the different wear marks on the back of the pads. Again..not sure if that's really an indication of anything abnormal.

And yup I emailed CL at the same time I made this thread. Will report back if I hear from them. I should've marked them when I removed them. But I figured the numbers on the back would tell me after I searched it online.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your piston/pad wear. There's really no failure mode available for uneven pad/piston contact that I'm aware of. Maybe it has something to do with using non-floating rotors with fix calipers?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your piston/pad wear. There's really no failure mode available for uneven pad/piston contact that I'm aware of. Maybe it has something to do with using non-floating rotors with fix calipers?
You're right, I'm probably overthinking. Had some strange issues with ice mode. Then I disabled abs and would occasionally lock up the rear.

Still waiting on CL to respond

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Oh, interesting. So you had the 8s on the back, I guess. The Stock ABS on these cars is lacking.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the RC8 up front, and RC6 rear (unless I really screwed up from the onset) and was experiencing some issues.

Maybe part of it was inexperience or driver error...or maybe not getting enough heat in the tires. It was especially evident in any instance where I was going downhill and trying to brake in a straight line. The rear would start going out from under me.

Anyways, one set has overall less pad left than the other....so i'm gonna assume that was the front set, and that was the RC8.

I also shot an email out to BOE this morning, so waiting to hear back.

Have an event on Tuesday...so if I don't know by then, I'm just gonna go with what my thought is and send it.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I take it you have the AP Racing front calipers at the back as well, i.e. same piston diameter. Maybe the difference between RC8 and RC6 is not enough to get the right brake bias.
I just ordered 2 sets of RC6 for mine, but I have the AP Racing calipers with the smaller pistons (38.1mm) in the back, Fred from BWR recommended RC6 front and rear For that setup.
I have a track day on Monday, so will know more by then, will report back here with my impressions.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have a set of new RC6s sitting on my shelf. They're marked with 4060-114C, the second line appears to be the week/year of manufacture, if I had to guess. Mine are 50/17.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a set of new RC6s sitting on my shelf. They're marked with 4060-114C, the second line appears to be the week/year of manufacture, if I had to guess. Mine are 50/17.
Awesome, thank you...that's what I was thinking...thank you for confirming.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I take it you have the AP Racing front calipers at the back as well, i.e. same piston diameter. Maybe the difference between RC8 and RC6 is not enough to get the right brake bias.
I just ordered 2 sets of RC6 for mine, but I have the AP Racing calipers with the smaller pistons (38.1mm) in the back, Fred from BWR recommended RC6 front and rear For that setup.
I have a track day on Monday, so will know more by then, will report back here with my impressions.
So I left my stock calipers up front...and I bought a set of AP racing calipers from a forum member along with the brackets. I think they intended to do it but never did. Anyways....I never actual confirmed which model number of the AP Racing caliper it is...but I'm assuming its the same piston size because I bought the stainless steel vented pistons from BOE and they fit fine. So I think I have the same piston size all around.

I don't know, there's a lot of variables. When they worked great, they were amazing...but when they acted up, it could be a huge blow to my confidence in brakes. And confidence in brakes is one of the biggest things for me. Ultimately I'm headed towards the route of the brake bias cage, and dumping way more money than I ever intended into all this, haha.

Do report back, I'm really curious to see how your setup works.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
@gstomp06 I had my track day yesterday with the new CL RC6 pads all around and all I can say is WOW, that is an absolutely perfect set up. Very little effort on the pedal to do some serious slowing down and totally controllable. The brake balance seem perfect to me as well, I could get a small chirp out of the front inside wheel on turnin, but no problem with rears even on hard downhill braking. I took 3 seconds off my previous best lap time due to the confidence this set up gives, needless to say I am very happy 😃
Big thanks to Fred from BWR for recommending these pads.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@gstomp06 I had my track day yesterday with the new CL RC6 pads all around and all I can say is WOW, that is an absolutely perfect set up. Very little effort on the pedal to do some serious slowing down and totally controllable. The brake balance seem perfect to me as well, I could get a small chirp out of the front inside wheel on turnin, but no problem with rears even on hard downhill braking. I took 3 seconds off my previous best lap time due to the confidence this set up gives, needless to say I am very happy 😃
Big thanks to Fred from BWR for recommending these pads.
So I also had a pretty good day. Using the RC6 up front, and the Ferodo DS2500 on my rear. I know its not ideal given that the pads aren't from the same company, but it's all I had here at my disposal. Similar to you, little pedal effort to get good and consistent bite once the pads warmed up a bit. There is one particular corner where I locked up 3 times....but probably due to my own fault of not waiting for enough heat in the tires. It's basically a braking point from 120-45...and I kept trying to get deeper and deeper into the braking zone.

Anyways I was consistently about 2 seconds faster than I was a few weeks prior....and shaved off a full second from my best. So overall a really good day for me too. Think I'll stick with this for awhile. Although lots squealing up front when pads are cool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts