The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,
I have been recently prepping for refreshing my suspension on my 2005 Elise. I've had it for a few years now and am slowly learning more about the car now that I can spend more time with it (recently retired from the Army). I've learned a lot about the front suspension over the past month or so...and given that I am hearing an odd knocking from the rear...it's time to get on with it. My goals are to completely refresh the suspension short of replacing wishbones.

The car has some obvious aftermarket (Inokinetic) parts...namely the center portion of the RTD brace. The photo I'm attaching shows the brace and the toe link. Looking at Inokinetic's website...the toe links I have DO NOT look like what they currently offer. The reason I'm adding the photos is so that maybe someone hear can tell me if these are OEM or no...either way I may need to replace them and I need to know what to buy. The reason I am planning to replace them is...the knocking sound. About that...

So, when I drive the car there is a knocking sound when I go over virtually any imperfection in the road - however slight. When taking the rear left wheel off and inspecting I note that when I grasp the rotor firmly (front and back) and push/pull...there is a slight knock. Now, I don't know if that is what I'm hearing when I drive it...but the refresh is an obvious place to start (car is just getting to 60k miles). Given that the knock happens when moving the disk in this manner...I am suspecting that the joints in the toe link are the culprit.

Anyways...I'd love to hear your input. Am I chasing the right rabbit (toe link)?

And which toe links do you think the car has? Are they OEM? They aren't octagonal like the current Inokinetic ones are...and I need you guys' experience to help me sort out which they are.

Thank you to each of you who have taken the time to read this.

P.S. The dampers/shocks...I'm thinking either the Nitron Street Series or the fast track. I don't see myself doing much on any track...but do like the car to be able to perform it's best when called on. Once I'm done with this suspension work I'm looking forward to taking a lap around the local track (Nurburgring) to say I've done it. The car currently still has the Bilstein dampers.

·
Administrator
2,124 Posts
Reactions: oranjeboven

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I'm having a hard time seeing enough with your photos, sorry. You may have the BOE (boefab.com) toe links, which incidentally use a larger diameter inner bolt, requiring some drilling.

You should do that test for play with the wheel secured because the disc is held on by one small locator screw (pretty much nothing). And you get more leverage. Forgive me if you secured the disc with wheel nuts.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
P.S. I'd go for a fast-street or street-track spring/damper if you are not going to be a total track junkie. I race my car on a street-track setup because I like a compliant car. You will be very pleased to move on from the original Bilsteins, they are pretty harsh.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
First, I'd check the obvious ones. Bushings and wheel bearings. I suspect from the description, it could be that the toe link ball/heim joint is worn out.
And from the pictures, I think what you have could be the Sector111/InoKinetic's RTDBrace.

If your local track is Nurburgring, I envy you.
Then I'd hit up the good folks at Komo-Tec, as I believe they're pretty close to Nurburgring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts