The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I bought my Elise last January and it came with a box of parts I've been meaning to ask about. Through reading the forums I think I have a pretty good idea what these items are but I want to verify with the experts and also get an idea of what the implications are of the modifications.

The first one seems to be part of the intake. On the Cayman forums it's referred to as "de-snorkeling" so I imagine that's what this is. What are the long-term effects of this mod? Does the air filter need to be replaced more often (still have the stock airbox in the car) or something a bit more drastic? How is the intake sound affected by this mod? Did I ask enough questions in this paragraph?

The shims I believe I read about in a thread where people were trying to dial in a bit more oversteer. If that's the case I'll admit I was a bit disappointed to find the shims in a bag as I am coming from the tail-happy S2000 and I miss the (controllable) oversteer. Anything else I should know about the shims? The other bag... I have no idea. It's a 2005 if that helps any.

This one I just found today changing the oil. I was glancing at the instructions on the sandsmuseum site and noticed his oil pan seemed to be a bit different. After as second of thought I realized the welds I saw on the pan didn't exactly look stock. I found a similar looking product here MWR Moroso Oil Pan - Toyota ZZ - MWR-400601 van Moroso - Monkeywrench Racing - Celica - MR2 Spyder and given that the previous owner went on a bit of a shopping spree at that site with the LSD, clutch and flywheel this doesn't seem too far fetched. If this is indeed the oil pan I have, how much oil should I be putting in the engine? I just went with five quarts today but I have another quart in the garage. Will this oil pan make life a bit easier on the engine at the track or is it simply to reduce oil temperatures by increasing capacity? I hope it's the former as the dual oil coolers are likely doing a good enough job at cooling.

Thanks in advance for the effort and information.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Hello all, I bought my Elise last January and it came with a box of parts I've been meaning to ask about. Through reading the forums I think I have a pretty good idea what these items are but I want to verify with the experts and also get an idea of what the implications are of the modifications.

The first one seems to be part of the intake. On the Cayman forums it's referred to as "de-snorkeling" so I imagine that's what this is. What are the long-term effects of this mod? Does the air filter need to be replaced more often (still have the stock airbox in the car) or something a bit more drastic? How is the intake sound affected by this mod? Did I ask enough questions in this paragraph?

The shims I believe I read about in a thread where people were trying to dial in a bit more oversteer. If that's the case I'll admit I was a bit disappointed to find the shims in a bag as I am coming from the tail-happy S2000 and I miss the (controllable) oversteer. Anything else I should know about the shims? The other bag... I have no idea. It's a 2005 if that helps any.

This one I just found today changing the oil. I was glancing at the instructions on the sandsmuseum site and noticed his oil pan seemed to be a bit different. After as second of thought I realized the welds I saw on the pan didn't exactly look stock. I found a similar looking product here MWR Moroso Oil Pan - Toyota ZZ - MWR-400601 van Moroso - Monkeywrench Racing - Celica - MR2 Spyder and given that the previous owner went on a bit of a shopping spree at that site with the LSD, clutch and flywheel this doesn't seem too far fetched. If this is indeed the oil pan I have, how much oil should I be putting in the engine? I just went with five quarts today but I have another quart in the garage. Will this oil pan make life a bit easier on the engine at the track or is it simply to reduce oil temperatures by increasing capacity? I hope it's the former as the dual oil coolers are likely doing a good enough job at cooling.

Thanks in advance for the effort and information.
Quickly before I go to bed, no ill effects from de-snorkle'ing unless the sound bothers you.

Moroso Oilpan indeed, should need roughly 6.5-7qts of oil.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Pic #1, You have a snorkle from the airbox. All it does it suppress some sound and picks up everything as you drive, leaves, rocks, bugs leave it off prolongs the life of the filter. No negative long term effects. The foam parts don't know. Black bracket looks like a battery hold down. The black plastic piece is a cover for an access hole for the flywheel, you may not see it since the pan is installed.

Pic #2 The throttle plate screws no idea don't have a 05'. The shims are for adjusting camber on the car, the ones you have in the bag are for the front suspension arms. They look new and untouched so the owner may have just bought some extra. If you remove shims you get more neg camber, adding shims will give it pos camber. Try to find the thread about camber on this site. Search something about steering arms.

Pic #3 Yes you have a morroso oil pan installed, the purpose of the pan is to prevent oiling issues under hard and sustained G turns with the use of trap doors. Not sure what the added capacity of the pan is.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
The foam parts in pic. 1: The longer piece with all the bumps and contours looks like the insulation piece for the wiring harness that goes to the fuel injectors and the foam fits around the intake manifold tubes. The foam block looks like the piece that is in the driver's side rear rocker panel that the lower part of the removed snorkel rests upon. This is a sound deadening piece.

The bag of hardware in pic. 2: These appear to be bolts and hardware removed from the throttle pedal area which would allow the pedal to be adjusted lower for a tall driver to be more comfortable. Was the last owner a tall guy?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No idea, I bought it from a Lotus dealership so I figured I was doing good getting a box of spare parts and a partial listing of the modifications. Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I'll have to slowly add oil to see where the level needs to be.

Actually... can the dipstick be considered accurate now? I'm not 100% on where the dipstick ends up but I would imagine it's the oil pan. If that were the case, would it read something wildly different now?

In any case, that oil pan was an exciting find. I plan on tracking it in the fall when Phoenix cools down to normal temperatures so I'm definitely happy about it.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Actually... can the dipstick be considered accurate now? I'm not 100% on where the dipstick ends up but I would imagine it's the oil pan. If that were the case, would it read something wildly different now?
Since the dipstick reaches down from a fixed point, the marks on the dipstick will still be at the same level relative to the oil pump pickup regardless of what pan you have (unless of course, the pickup is changed, which it is not for the Moroso pan, or the dipstick and tube are changed, i.e. for an aftermarket S/C). The one thing I found was that the dipstick rubbed against the edge of the Moroso's windage tray, which wiped a bit of oil off when removing the dipstick to check the level. I just slightly bent the dipstick toward the front of the car at about 4" from the bottom to clear the tray, and now I get very clear indications of oil level...

EDIT: Fill the engine with 6qts of oil after an oil change, then use the dipstick to check the level and add as appropriate...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The foam parts in pic. 1: The longer piece with all the bumps and contours looks like the insulation piece for the wiring harness that goes to the fuel injectors and the foam fits around the intake manifold tubes. The foam block looks like the piece that is in the driver's side rear rocker panel that the lower part of the removed snorkel rests upon. This is a sound deadening piece.
Actually, BOTH foam pieces are manifold insulators. One is the upper (the longer one) and the other is the lower (short, block shape).

I just took them off my engine when I was installing the SC last week.

With that battery holddown part not in the car, I would definitely check your battery to make sure it is properly held down. Lots of damage can result from a loose battery. :thwack:

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, BOTH foam pieces are manifold insulators. One is the upper (the longer one) and the other is the lower (short, block shape).

I just took them off my engine when I was installing the SC last week.

With that battery holddown part not in the car, I would definitely check your battery to make sure it is properly held down. Lots of damage can result from a loose battery. :thwack:

Regards,
Wayne
Oh, forgot to mention the aftermarket battery. It's a Braille with a bracket in place to hold it down.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts