The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced engine after another valve broke and put a hole in top of the piston. Fuel pump not running gas gauge reads empty and the tank is full. All lights come on dash but will not crank. DRL do not come on with key but come on with headlight button. Fuses look ok.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Few things to check:

ECU connectors seated?
Engine harness connected at the lower harness connection to chassis?
Multi function relay unit connected?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you WhatsADSM I will look at those and what ever i can think of. It was late and i was tired so i sure it's something simple i over looked.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Theres a little electronic looking module attached to the drivers side of the engine bay. I think near where the auxillary water pump is. Is that maybe a fuel cut off valve?

I'm just guessing though.

But ya I had a similar type thing when I did an engine swap on my wifes car where half the stuff didn't work, but half the stuff did and it ended up being one of the harnesses on the ECU wasn't plugged in all the way.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
That is a very frightning statement "after another valve broke and put a hole in top of the piston." How often do you run the engine at redline?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the first time a valve bent and i just fixed what needed to be fixed. This time the exhaust valve broke at the head. I don't the redline engine very often but i do get into the 2nd cam only after the engine warms up. I found a ground wire not bolted down so i bolted it on and the car started. sometimes you just feel like doing this:wallbang: I should have looked into the car a little better before i bought it. I am the 3rd owner and the 1st was a rental car company in Beverly Hills and i don't know the 2nd so i don't know how it driven before i got it. The 1990 supra that i had got run alot harder than i ever run the elise, or my tacoma in the winter when we have snow.:)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Similar thing happened to my brother-in-law (different car). Several ground wires on the engine, but they all converge at a single star ground. Well the bolt on that star backed out and car just suddenly died.

Simple stuff, hard to find :(

Did you stay with stock valves or upgrade?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts