The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any one can help break down the steps in doing a brake flush and as well as replacing front rotors and pads. Lastly, if I do the brake flush would I need to bleed the brakes? Also the tools that are needed. Mind you this would be my first time doing this. Let me know really appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
It is the pads that are sacrificial and need replacing when worn. As long as the pads did not score the rotors, the rotors do not need replacing.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Pressure bleeding the brakes with a Motive pressure bleeder is super easy. I did it without cursing once - which is f'n rare.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
holy crap, Usana is still around!?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Eventually, the rotors wear out and need to be replaced. There is no lifetime guaranty. They will get too thin, usually dished, so you can't just measure the edges.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
TheViper. I actually need to replace the rotors too.

Yes, Usana is still around sweetdaddyD.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone know process in removing the rotors?

·
Registered
821 Posts
IIRC Its remove wheel, caliper, little screw holding rotor. The reverse process for install

·
Registered
821 Posts
Presoak the small rotor retaining bolt with PB Blaster or something similar. They are usually rusted in place and will strip out otherwise.
Back when I used to do this kind of work for a living I had the best luck using a large phillips screw driver, vise grips, and a hammer. First Apply Vise grips tightly to the handle of the screw driver. Then placing this new tool tightly in the screw. Then whack it with a hammer. then use vise grips around the handle of said screwdriver to break the screw loose (while applying force inward to prevent stripping).

this works everytime for me. and I've done somewhere in the thousands of rotor removals on a variety of cars.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Or just get the proper tool for the job. :)

Impact Driver

But yes the vice grip + screwdriver + hammer will work. Just soak the rotor set screw first. They are tough critters on the Lotus.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks a million guys. Really helpful. :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Oh, if you do strip one but get it out you don't have to have them in there when you reassemble. More than likely the local Lotus dealer won't stock them and wouldn't want you down for weeks while they special order them. Just makes putting wheels on a pain.

·
Registered
210 Posts
How much Fluid to start with?

Sorry to revive an old thread.

How much brake fluid does one typically buy when doing a full system (clutch and brake) bleed?
*assume bleeding just once*

I saw it asked earlier but not really any firm answers

2-2.5L?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just completed bleeding the clutch and then the four brake calipers and I used a little less than a Quart of Castrol (GT) LMA Brake Fluid. And I ran a lot of fluid out of the clutch at first.

Good luck . 11 mm size wrench for the Calipers.
8 mm for clutch Bleed Screw.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts