The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my first track event in two weeks and I need to buy a helmet. The only requirement is Snell 2000 approval or better.

The local cycle shop has full face helmets for about $130, but they seem pretty heavy so I made a couple calls to online helmet vendors who said there was a difference between motorcycle helmets and driving helmets. And the driving helmets I found started at about $300 and went WAY up from there.

I don't plan to track much, and yet I am pretty fond of my noggin.

Do I need an expensive helmet? Anybody know of a particularly good value and/or a good online retailer to pick up what I need?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm doing my first track event in two weeks and I need to buy a helmet.
I don't plan to track much, and yet I am pretty fond of my noggin.

Do I need an expensive helmet? Anybody know of a particularly good value and/or a good online retailer to pick up what I need?

Thanks
You don't need an expensive helmet, just a good one. DO NOT use a MC helmet for automotive track safety (or vice-versa). Has to do with multiple impact and force of impact.

Snell 2000 rating will be useless in two years for many venues. SA 2005 helmets are good for at least seven wherever you may want to go.

I bought a Pyrotect helmet from Pegasus Racing and I'm totally pleased with it. Light weight, modern construction, good materials and only $249 for their full-face model. Pegasus also has an open-face Pyrotect helmet for $148.49, both are SA 2005. For me, spending the extra $100 to get a full-face helmet was a no-brainer. Why settle for less protection, even if it will pass tech?

Look up
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=HELMETPYRO

I have not found a vendor who treats customers better than Pegasus. :clap: Many nowadays are as good, or nearly so, but Pegasus has always gone an extra mile for me. Fast and very pleasant service.

Seems to me that shipping on my helmet was only $8-$10, way less than local sales taxes would have been, even if I could have found a deal locally. I received it in under a week.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My life has been saved twice; once by an HJC and most recently by a Nolan.

Next go around I'm gonna see how the Akuma holds up.

Anyway, I'm thankful that I'm still here to recommend the first two :) Just say no to half helmets and open face helmets.

DO NOT use a MC helmet for automotive track safety (or vice-versa). Has to do with multiple impact and force of impact.
Just out of curiosity, if it's good enough to take a 60 mph hit on the freeway and bounce off the hood of a car and suffer only light scratching - why exactly would I NOT want to use it while driving?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just out of curiosity, if it's good enough to take a 60 mph hit on the freeway and bounce off the hood of a car and suffer only light scratching - why exactly would I NOT want to use it while driving?
Different lining - because if you are unfortunate enough to have a fire the helmet lining will burn and melt to your face with an M-rated helmet. I've heard you can use an SA rated helmet on a motorcycle but YMMV.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I've had nothing but great experiences buying from Pegasus, but with your first event coming up so soon, I recommend that you find a retailer with lots of inventory in your neighborhood. It's incredibly important to have your helmet fit very well, and you may not have time to try on a bunch of helmets mail order. It's worth the extra $$. Hopefully you've got a retailer within driving distance...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I was in the same situation as you saudio, and I picked up a G-Force locally- It seems to fit all of your requirements, and if you buy locally, you'll be able to try them on-

·
Registered
373 Posts
I got a G-Force helmet for $250. It works well for me. One tip - once it's yours, don't loan your helmet to a sweaty guy for a ride around the track.

Wendy

·
Registered
753 Posts
My life has been saved twice; once by an HJC and most recently by a Nolan.

Next go around I'm gonna see how the Akuma holds up.

Anyway, I'm thankful that I'm still here to recommend the first two :) Just say no to half helmets and open face helmets.

the difference between a Snell SA2000 and M2000 certification for a helmet. All Snell tests for these specifications include multiple impact tests at -20 degrees, 78 degrees (dry and wet) and 120 degrees. The Snell M2000 specification is the base for the specs. The SA2000 - used primarily for auto racing - adds not only the thicker shield, but also the use of flame retardant paint, trim, retention strap and interior. The Snell SA2000 helmet also meets an additional rollbar impact test.

The second impact and flame resistance is the difference.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Some organizations (like PCA) will only allow SA rated helmets on the track. While safety should be your biggest concern, it would suck to spend $150 on the wrong helmet and $400 for a track day just to be sent packing at final tech inspection.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
determine your correct helmet size at your local cycle shop. Then find a good SA2005 rated helmet on-line. G-Force and Simpson are good less expensive brands.
Figure on spending about $250. Also pick up a balaclava (head sock), really makes the liner last longer if you wear one every time.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
the difference between a Snell SA2000 and M2000 certification for a helmet. All Snell tests for these specifications include multiple impact tests at -20 degrees, 78 degrees (dry and wet) and 120 degrees. The Snell M2000 specification is the base for the specs. The SA2000 - used primarily for auto racing - adds not only the thicker shield, but also the use of flame retardant paint, trim, retention strap and interior. The Snell SA2000 helmet also meets an additional rollbar impact test.

The second impact and flame resistance is the difference.
To help illustrate Jordan's comments.
MC helmet is made for one big hit – falling off the bike and hitting your head

SA car helmet is made to have multiple hits inside of the car for when your head is constantly hitting the roll bar as you and the car tumble down the road. That's what I've been told anyways.

You can also go directly to Pyrotect. They have a new flat black that I'm fond of. I do agree that you should find somewhere to try them on. Each manufacturer fits different shaped heads.

Have fun at your 1st track day.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
go and try them on. a good lid is useless if it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone. I know of no local places that sell anything other than motorcycle helmets. I guess I could buy two sizes and send back the one that doesn't fit.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thanks everyone. I know of no local places that sell anything other than motorcycle helmets. I guess I could buy two sizes and send back the one that doesn't fit.
Where are you located? Maybe some people will know of some local car helmet retailers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts