The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ran into a building to pick something up. Locked my car on the way in. Now the car will not respond to the transmitter. Range was good before, so I don't think it is the battery. I have the blackwatch key, so I can't open it up right now.

I tried using the key on the locks, but they turn and don't respond.

How do I get in and start the car, preferably without the alarm going off?

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Stand next to the passenger side door. Hold both fob buttons in at the same time. After about 10-15 seconds, the light should stop flashing and just stay on... Then hit the unlock button. Hit unlock button again if it can doesn't unlock. If still won't work, you need new batteries in the fob. This happened to me about a month ago at a quickie mart so I feel your pain:(

Best,

Phil

I just ran into a building to pick something up. Locked my car on the way in. Now the car will not respond to the transmitter. Range was good before, so I don't think it is the battery. I have the blackwatch key, so I can't open it up right now.

I tried using the key on the locks, but they turn and don't respond.

How do I get in and start the car, preferably without the alarm going off?

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Oh- just saw that you have the BWR key... That's a problem since you can't see the light and it's hard to be sure that you're pressing both buttons. I have the smae BWR key as well... I carry the spare fob on the car for that very reason... You will likely have to take the BWR key apart to do this or get your spare fob to get in...

The key locks on the doors are not connected to the locking actuators in the doors, which is why your key didn't get you in...

Good luck,

Phil

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh- just saw that you have the BWR key... That's a problem since you can't see the light and it's hard to be sure that you're pressing both buttons. I have the smae BWR key as well... I carry the spare fob on the car for that very reason... You will likely have to take the BWR key apart to do this or get your spare fob to get in...

The key locks on the doors are not connected to the locking actuators in the doors, which is why your key didn't get you in...

Good luck,

Phil
Damn tiny allen screws. Trying to make a tool...

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Couldn't he count in his head 10 seconds, then try the unlock button to try to guess the timing?

No harm in trying right?

edit: or maybe the BWR key makes it tricky to push both

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Try holding the BWR fob next to the window about a foot in front of the little pop up knob or next to the rear window right above the interior light. Also try pushing the button in different places (at the very bottom and sliding it a little bit higher).

good luck

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got the chip out and I can get it to flash. Problem is it never stops flashing. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, the light is very weak. That playing a part?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually got it to set the alarm off once. Can't get it to unlock.

Does anyone know whether the "big" button is the one closest to the key?

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
big button is the one closer to the key. As the bottons are closer to the top, it's the left button.. Sounds like you need a new battery.... did I mention that I also carry an extra battery with me too?:D

When I got locked out due to weak battery, I could also set the alarm off with the small button, but I couldn't unlock it...

Lotus survival pack: Extra key fob, Extra fob battery, cell phone, AAA:D

-P

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
big button is the one closer to the key. As the bottons are closer to the top, it's the left button.. Sounds like you need a new battery.... did I mention that I also carry an extra battery with me too?:D

When I got locked out due to weak battery, I could also set the alarm off with the small button, but I couldn't unlock it...

Lotus survival pack: Extra key fob, Extra fob battery, cell phone, AAA:D

-P
I've got the wife on the way with the other key - also a BWR key.

Anyway, did you mean transmitter battery or car battery? I've got a braille at home if I need her to bring it.

I'm assuming the other key should do it...

I just walked back to my office and I'm watching a DUI video where the cops scrubbed all of the audio. Hmmmmmmm.....

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Fob/transmitter battery... Keep one in the boot and in your case, a small allen wrench to dismantal fob...

On my BWR fob, I carved a small relief in the carbon fiber button and plastic bridge so that I could see the red light flash. I can't see it real well, but I can see it just well enough to see what needs to be seen for an event like this...

I've got the wife on the way with the other key - also a BWR key.

Anyway, did you mean transmitter battery or car battery? I've got a braille at home if I need her to bring it.

I'm assuming the other key should do it...

I just walked back to my office and I'm watching a DUI video where the cops scrubbed all of the audio. Hmmmmmmm.....

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fob/transmitter battery... Keep one in the boot and in your case, a small allen wrench to dismantal fob...

On my BWR fob, I carved a small relief in the carbon fiber button and plastic bridge so that I could see the red light flash. I can't see it real well, but I can see it just well enough to see what needs to be seen for an event like this...
This is key - keep an extra battery in the trunk. That was our problem. The battery was only 2 days old!

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
with all the issues I read about the alarm. I keep a spare battery hidden with duct tape near the rear license plate. I trimmed an allen key so it will fit inside my ford fob so that I can use it to open up my BWR Uni-key.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Ever since I got my BWR unikey I keep a spare key hidden in the cabin an the spare Fob in the tool pouch in the trunk. Saved me a few times when I have locked my unikey in the trunk at an event when in a hurry, just unlock the trunk with the spare key. And if my unikey battery goes flat I have the spare fob in the trunk.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Got locked out of my car today ... I was in the parking lot looking like an idiot trying to break into a Lotus. Everytime I push the button on my key fob , the alarm goes off .. it would not unlock. A friend took me to the nearest CVS and got me a new 2032 battery ... I didn't know you had to hold down both button to make it work with the new battery. Had to go back into my office and found this post.

Holding both button near my passenger side window didn't work. I went over to the driver side and tried it and it worked. I went back to my office and measure the voltage on the old battery .. it only read 2.6 volts while the new battery reads 3.3 volts so yes, the key fob battery was low.

Thanks for this post .. almost had to call a tow truck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I carry a guitar string (A string) in my wallet; I've used it twice to unlock the car. First time was my own fault and I was in front of a music store, second time was at the dealer after getting recall work done. The string, threaded through the ball at the end, catches nicely on the groove of the door pin and is easy to tighten and pull up on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts