The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Florida resident in my house needs to move about 500-700 lbs of stuff from the LA area to Tampa, FL. Right now, it's in a storage container. It's not household goods (that is, it's not stuff that would need careful packing in neatly-labeled boxes), and it's generally bulkier than what would be normal to send via a ground carrier. (Items include things like a tool box, air compressor, etc.)

The additional "wrinkle" is that he is here in Tampa or on the road until November, and the stuff needs to be moved ASAP.

Does anyone here have ideas about how we can accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,
Jen

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I'd check with your typical moving companies, find one that drops off modular crates at your house (or in this case, storage unit), preferably one of a smaller size. I used PODS for a move and while it was great, those interstate pods are gigantic and way overkill for what you're talking about moving (and hence, it'd probably be a lot more expensive than you really need).

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The crate we ship to PRI is about 800 pounds and costs us around $400-500 to ship via freight carrier.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Especially if you have a lot of bulk vs weight, you can find a deadheading trailer and add to that very inexpensively sometimes.
I called moving and shipping companies and found I could ship an entire trailer cheaper than using any of them.
If you take this approach, look for an independent driver.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The crate we ship to PRI is about 800 pounds and costs us around $400-500 to ship via freight carrier.
I assume you crate/pack everything yourself into one unit?

By freight company, do you mean someone like Yellow?

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
is his name Cheech? (or Chong?)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I assume you crate/pack everything yourself into one unit?

By freight company, do you mean someone like Yellow?
Yes. Last shipment was Roadway.

You don't have to pack everything into one crate, but is will save money if you do. You can even get a custom wood crate made for a $250. There is a charge for putting loose items on a pallet and shrinkwrapping everything. Shipping multiple loose smaller boxes can be more expensive.

UPS also has a freight division.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
if you palletize, make sure you have a way to get the materials off the truck. also, be certain that there is space for a tractor/trailer at the destination. i've had two battles with a common carrier delivering to my house over these two issues. the first time i paid for delivery with a liftgate truck, of course the carrier didn't have one and wanted to rent at my additional expense. the second time, the carrier didn't have any straight trucks that could make in to my house. their solution was for me to come get my 600lb pallet. in both instances the carrier was estes express. i'll never do business with them again. i specifically/expressly prohibit them from being used for anything coming to my house.

good luck. check out fedex freight... they handle the materials from end to end, IIRC.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Good point. In fact we had that exact problem this December coming back from PRI/Orlando. There was a bad communication and the company did not know needed a liftgate truck. They came out to deliver and had to take it back to the yard and transfer it to another truck and charged us $150 for that.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I've made arrangements with someone with a loading dock when I needed pickup or delivery with a heavy truck.
The charge has been very nominal when I've been charged at all.
You want to take care to interfere as little as possible.
You may be lucky enough to find a drive up dock with a ramp.

I built a portable dock for my own trailer.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is his name Cheech? (or Chong?)
LOL. rotfl rotfl Thanks!

Also, thanks for all the good advice and information, guys. I really appreciate it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts