The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this rattle that has been there for awhile. It happens at low rpms in 1st or idle sometimes. If I slightly push down on the bottom of the diffuser on either side it completely goes away. I read a couple thing where people said there heat shield was touching. I bent the heat shield away from the exhaust on both ends (larini dual) but that didnt solve it. It just appears that pushing down on the diffuser solves the problem. So do I need to get this loosened or tightened?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Also check to make sure the exhaust tips aren't the source.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tips aren't touching anything. Also, this isnt the older larini with the removable tips so they arent loose or anything.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Try loosening up the bolts holding the diffuser in place and then tighten them up again starting with the large bolts and then do the small ones working from the middle outward. Sometimes these large aluminum panels take a set that allows them to vibrate and loosening and tightening the bolts again can change that set and eliminate the tendency of the panel to resonate.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I had this type of rattle and found that it was the heat shield located ON TOP of the muffler. I took the rear diffuser off and pushed the heat shield away from the top of the muffler as possible. Now its very quiet on idle and when taking off.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its gone!!! Thanks to TEsprit. There was a 3 different things that was causing it.

1. I had a couple bad washers that weren't doing their job on the underpanel thats closest to the diffuser. As a results if I pressed on the panel it would cause a type of canning/rattling sound. The washers were replaced with some rubber ones and it did the trick.

2. One of the euro grills (from larini se) was touching the fiberglass. It was pushed forward a little bit to allow clearance.

3. Another problem with the grill. That round piece that holds the reflector from the euro grill was touching the exhaust pipe. The small piece was chipped away.

Its been a weekend of driving and no low rpm embarrassing rattle. I use to have to keep my foot slightly on the gas when i was stopped to the rpms would stay about 1100 and it wouldn't rattle. I don't miss doing that. Special thanks again to TEsprit for helping with the oil chance and for finding those rattles. And now "knocks on wood" my car is rattle free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts